Fan speed control for Sapphire R9 280?

Hi everyone! 

I decided to post this problem here as it is a great site and I know I am more likely to find a proper solution here. So my problem is very simple, I want to be able to set a custom automatic fan curve for my AMD Sapphire R9 280 NON X EDITION. It is factory OC at 940MHz and when it reaches that speed it usually runs around 75 - 80c. I noticed that at this temp the fans are only running around 30 - 40% capacity which I assume is to keep noise levels down. However as I am already running 2 radiator fans which reach 100% at 60c I really don't care about noise levels. So I am trying to eliminate random FPS drops from the card suddenly underclocking when it reaches it's max temp limit. I attempted to OC it further but it's a bad chip and even a +10MHz OC caused instant crash. I tried to use MSI afterburner to set the fan curve however afterburner constantly crashed my system on startup despite being the latest official version and having no extra OC settings. I had to boot my system in safe mode and uninstall it to stop the instant crashing. Next I tried TRIXX by Sapphire once again only using the fan control settings. This worked really well for a while and I noticed a big increase in stability as it was struggling to get over 65c. However yesterday the 280 locked it's self to 501MHz even tho I had not changed any settings in TRIXX and it did not fix until I uninstalled TRIXX no matter how many restarts I did. This has led me to the conclusion that the R9 280 simply does not agree with OC utilities. So I spent a few hours on the web searching for some software that only controls gpu fan curves and not OC settings. I could only either find forums saying to use afterburner / TRIXX or forums saying to use the catalyst control center which works but it's manual control only and I want automatic control based on temps. Does anyone know of any software that can do this for me or perhaps does someone know how to access the GPU's BIOS and change it that way. Even if I could just set a max temp and fan goal that would be great as my CPU is currently using a temp goal of 45c and fan goal of level 2 or 3 (can't remember which) and this works perfectly and it still puts the fans to 100% (level 10) at 60c. Just keep in mind tho it must be able to control the fans via the connector on the GPU it's self and not through the motherboard such as speedfan does. Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me. Just in case you need it here is the parts list for my system....  

AMD FX-6300 Black edition OC @ 4.4GHz (proven stable by multiple synthetic and real world tests)

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard

Thermaltake water 2.0 performer c liquid CPU cooler (AIO)

Sapphire R9 280 (obviously)

Elgato HD 60 Pro

TP-Link 300MBps wifi card

16GB crucial DDR3 RAM

2TB seagate barracuda HDD

Corsair vs650 PSU 

System is only 2 - 3 years old.      

Graphics card driver?

Just a reminder that your PSU is made of cheap parts with questionable quality.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

6 hours ago, Jostar980 said:

Hi everyone! 

I decided to post this problem here as it is a great site and I know I am more likely to find a proper solution here. So my problem is very simple, I want to be able to set a custom automatic fan curve for my AMD Sapphire R9 280 NON X EDITION. It is factory OC at 940MHz and when it reaches that speed it usually runs around 75 - 80c. I noticed that at this temp the fans are only running around 30 - 40% capacity which I assume is to keep noise levels down. However as I am already running 2 radiator fans which reach 100% at 60c I really don't care about noise levels. So I am trying to eliminate random FPS drops from the card suddenly underclocking when it reaches it's max temp limit. I attempted to OC it further but it's a bad chip and even a +10MHz OC caused instant crash. I tried to use MSI afterburner to set the fan curve however afterburner constantly crashed my system on startup despite being the latest official version and having no extra OC settings. I had to boot my system in safe mode and uninstall it to stop the instant crashing. Next I tried TRIXX by Sapphire once again only using the fan control settings. This worked really well for a while and I noticed a big increase in stability as it was struggling to get over 65c. However yesterday the 280 locked it's self to 501MHz even tho I had not changed any settings in TRIXX and it did not fix until I uninstalled TRIXX no matter how many restarts I did. This has led me to the conclusion that the R9 280 simply does not agree with OC utilities. So I spent a few hours on the web searching for some software that only controls gpu fan curves and not OC settings. I could only either find forums saying to use afterburner / TRIXX or forums saying to use the catalyst control center which works but it's manual control only and I want automatic control based on temps. Does anyone know of any software that can do this for me or perhaps does someone know how to access the GPU's BIOS and change it that way. Even if I could just set a max temp and fan goal that would be great as my CPU is currently using a temp goal of 45c and fan goal of level 2 or 3 (can't remember which) and this works perfectly and it still puts the fans to 100% (level 10) at 60c. Just keep in mind tho it must be able to control the fans via the connector on the GPU it's self and not through the motherboard such as speedfan does. Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me. Just in case you need it here is the parts list for my system....  

AMD FX-6300 Black edition OC @ 4.4GHz (proven stable by multiple synthetic and real world tests)

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard

Thermaltake water 2.0 performer c liquid CPU cooler (AIO)

Sapphire R9 280 (obviously)

Elgato HD 60 Pro

TP-Link 300MBps wifi card

16GB crucial DDR3 RAM

2TB seagate barracuda HDD

Corsair vs650 PSU 

System is only 2 - 3 years old.      

Upgrade the PSU before even touching overclocking. Itll be a much better experience if your parts dont go up in flames

Honestly, with the inflated market, id sell your 280 and buy a better GPU with a possibly easier overclocking experience. I am suggesting this because i have no idea how to fix this issue lmao

msi afterburner works with my xfx 280x dd, should work with yours also?
when i just set it to auto it has an aggressive fan curve. keeps mine at max 72c when gaming. (tried changing thermal paste? might be rock hard now as my was,and not transferring heat. bet your warranty is gone anyway)

stock fan curve throttles fast, as its not going 100% early enough.

Click the cog and set auto. afterburner has to stay in background

Ok everyone sorry for late reply I have been very busy. So I ended up getting SpeedFan to control the GPU fan curve which works fine but is not as accurate as I would have liked. In response to what you guys have been saying I can't afford a new GPU right now sadly and I have had 0 problems relating to PSU. I had my CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz but had to restore original clocks but it was not caused by the PSU and I have more than enough power to do it. For some reason vdrop causes the system to draw no more than 1.32V through vcore even with it set to 1.4 in BIOS and Load Line set to enabled which is supposed to turn off vdrop. The OC is completely stable on cores 1 - 5 at 100% usage however as soon as core 6 hits 95% everything crashes. This is because the CPU doesn't have enough voltage but the system won't draw more for some reason. I think I will make a seperate dedicated thread for this tho.