Watching 4k game videos=playing game on 4k display?

moidave

Hello,

i went to a store to check 4k monitors and see if there would be an efetive difference between that resolution and 1440p on a 27' 4k monitor.

Since the store did not have any games installed on that specific monitor, I asked to watch the same game video (destiny 2) at 4k and then 1440p. Buffering was terrible since the internet connection was slow, but I could notice a big difference between the 2 resolution.

here is my question: do YouTube 4k gameplay videos mirror exactly what the game will be played at that resolution? Or are the videos compressed in such a way that they cannot give their full quality?

thank you,

David 

no they don't, youtube uses lossy compression so it will never look as good as it did origianlly

i think you're seeing more of the higher bitrate, and not more of more pixels, the bitrate increase is so high that upscaled 1080p on youtube that is 4k looks very good 

it depends what you are going to do with a monitor for what will be better. for me, sitting close to the monitor and wanting to game but having a powerful GPU, I went with 4k over 1440p

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

no they don't, youtube uses lossy compression so it will never look as good as it did origianlly

i think you're seeing more of the higher bitrate, and not more of more pixels, the bitrate increase is so high that upscaled 1080p on youtube that is 4k looks very good 

it depends what you are going to do with a monitor for what will be better. for me, sitting close to the monitor and wanting to game but having a powerful GPU, I went with 4k over 1440p

Thanks. Thought there was something strange indeed. The difference 1440p and 4k was more visible than I thought it would be. 

I feel exactly the same as you about monitors, since I sit less than 2 feet (66cm) away from it. Also, I play mostly rpgs, and adventure AAA games, and am all for eye candy. No competitive fps, or online games at all. 

May i ask the monitor you are using, and if you can really see the higher resolution, higher than with 1440p?

thanks.

Just now, moidave said:

Thanks. Thought there was something strange indeed. The difference 1440p and 4k was more visible than I thought it would be. 

I feel exactly the same as you about monitors, since I sit less than 2 feet (66cm) away from it. Also, I play mostly rpgs, and adventure AAA games, and am all for eye candy. No competitive fps, or online games at all. 

May i ask the monitor you are using, and if you can really see the higher resolution, higher than with 1440p?

thanks.

Asus MG28UQ, I can see the resolution difference from 1080p, have not used a 1440p monitor before.

it's not IPS, but for $450 CAD a year ago it is worth it. I used to sit maybe 15cm away from my monitor, so it was a huge upgrade for me from 1200p. 4K might be a good option for you, as you don't play any shooters or a game where 144hz would be more beneficial than 4k.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Asus MG28UQ, I can see the resolution difference from 1080p, have not used a 1440p monitor before.

it's not IPS, but for $450 CAD a year ago it is worth it. I used to sit maybe 15cm away from my monitor, so it was a huge upgrade for me from 1200p. 4K might be a good option for you, as you don't play any shooters or a game where 144hz would be more beneficial than 4k.

Nice. Interesting what you say about it not being IPS. On most forums, people on swears by it. On the other hand, i read that a good TN is not so different from a regular IPS. 

I also use a 1200p right now, and since I got a gtx 1080ti, I thought it would be a waste not to upgrade for 4k. 

Are you sure you meant "15cm"? 

Also, can I ask why you did not go with a gsync monitor? 

6 minutes ago, moidave said:

Nice. Interesting what you say about it not being IPS. On most forums, people on swears by it. On the other hand, i read that a good TN is not so different from a regular IPS. 

I also use a 1200p right now, and since I got a gtx 1080ti, I thought it would be a waste not to upgrade for 4k. 

Are you sure you meant "15cm"? 

Also, can I ask why you did not go with a gsync monitor? 

TN is terrible if you have a bad TN screen otherwise with my expierence it is great. It has almost the same left or right viewing angles but the up to down isn't as nice, but the stand can go up or down. 

My laptop's IPS screen is comparable with my TN screen. Which either says I have a shit IPS screen or a great 100% chance of getting a good TN display. 

It wouldn't be a waste to upgrade to 4K, but first you should consider; why do I even buy 4K? For me it was because it was cheap, my monitor overheats and being able to see the pixels annoy me. 

Pretty sure, maybe 20-25 lol. It basically fills up my vision before, 28" is great. 

Gsync is expensive as shit, and it's not worth it to me. I have enough power to be able to power games at at least 4K 60fps even if I have to lower. Fuck ultra if I can get high and have basically the same visuals. 

Edit: gsync and freesync only helps if you dip below your monitor's refresh rate. Personally, if you do then you need to turn down some settings. It only helps I guess if you have 1440p 144hz, where I would assume getting a constant 144hz is hard. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

TN is terrible if you have a bad TN screen otherwise with my expierence it is great. It has almost the same left or right viewing angles but the up to down isn't as nice, but the stand can go up or down. 

My laptop's IPS screen is comparable with my TN screen. Which either says I have a shit IPS screen or a great 100% chance of getting a good TN display. 

It wouldn't be a waste to upgrade to 4K, but first you should consider; why do I even buy 4K? For me it was because it was cheap, my monitor overheats and being able to see the pixels annoy me. 

Pretty sure, maybe 20-25 lol. It basically fills up my vision before, 28" is great. 

Gsync is expensive as shit, and it's not worth it to me. I have enough power to be able to power games at at least 4K 60fps even if I have to lower. Fuck ultra if I can get high and have basically the same visuals. 

Edit: gsync and freesync only helps if you dip below your monitor's refresh rate. Personally, if you do then you need to turn down some settings. It only helps I guess if you have 1440p 144hz, where I would assume getting a constant 144hz is hard. 

The reason I want 4K is because I saw a video of andromeda at 4k on a 4k tv and it just blew me away. Also, even on my 1200p (which I bought 9 years ago), I sometimes just stop playing to look around and soak in the atmosphere. 

I still have to see for myself what real 4k gaming looks like in action, although I looked at some 4k screenshots on à 4k panel. 

As I am in Japan, the availability and prices are quite different from the North American market. I could get a non gsync 4k but I am hoping to use my 1080ti for a really long time at smooth frame rates. In a few years, even After I drop some settings, it will not reach 60fps. That is when I will enjoy the gsync (I hate stutter!). 

I also considered a 1440p 144hz, but my CPU is non OC, so it would definitely be a waste. 

5 minutes ago, moidave said:

The reason I want 4K is because I saw a video of andromeda at 4k on a 4k tv and it just blew me away. Also, even on my 1200p (which I bought 9 years ago), I sometimes just stop playing to look around and soak in the atmosphere. 

I still have to see for myself what real 4k gaming looks like in action, although I looked at some 4k screenshots on à 4k panel. 

As I am in Japan, the availability and prices are quite different from the North American market. I could get a non gsync 4k but I am hoping to use my 1080ti for a really long time at smooth frame rates. In a few years, even After I drop some settings, it will not reach 60fps. That is when I will enjoy the gsync (I hate stutter!). 

I also considered a 1440p 144hz, but my CPU is non OC, so it would definitely be a waste. 

1200p is still current, well it's basically better than the current meta of 1080p. No problems with using it until 1080p is being phased out, which will take a while. I like doing the same thing too sometimes, unless the game is stardew valley. 

Real 4K gaming at first may feel impressive, but then after gaming or using 4K on desktop it doesn't feel as impressive but it feels like 1080p but slightly more clear if you focus in enough. 4K isn't a huge step up IMO in everyday usage, it's like adding some AA to 1080p games. Makes it look nicer. 

Am pretty sure your 1080ti will last you quite a long time at 4k and even 1080p. You don't really play intensive graphically demanding games so, yeah it better last. I don't like buying things for it'll be useful later. I like buying things when it's beneficial now. When your games even start to stutter at lower to lowest 4K on a 1080ti, that's the time to upgrade. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

17 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1200p is still current, well it's basically better than the current meta of 1080p. No problems with using it until 1080p is being phased out, which will take a while. I like doing the same thing too sometimes, unless the game is stardew valley. 

Real 4K gaming at first may feel impressive, but then after gaming or using 4K on desktop it doesn't feel as impressive but it feels like 1080p but slightly more clear if you focus in enough. 4K isn't a huge step up IMO in everyday usage, it's like adding some AA to 1080p games. Makes it look nicer. 

Am pretty sure your 1080ti will last you quite a long time at 4k and even 1080p. You don't really play intensive graphically demanding games so, yeah it better last. I don't like buying things for it'll be useful later. I like buying things when it's beneficial now. When your games even start to stutter at lower to lowest 4K on a 1080ti, that's the time to upgrade. 

I tend to agree with you about replacing the component. But since I got the card as a present, I will definitely make the best of it for as long as I can. 

I mostly use my home pc for gaming, so I really hope that 4K will bring something more impressive than just added AA. I imagine that you get used to it after a while though. Do you ever out the résultions back at full hd, just to appreciate how crisp 4K is? 

Just now, moidave said:

I tend to agree with you about replacing the component. But since I got the card as a present, I will definitely make the best of it for as long as I can. 

I mostly use my home pc for gaming, so I really hope that 4K will bring something more impressive than just added AA. I imagine that you get used to it after a while though. Do you ever out the résultions back at full hd, just to appreciate how crisp 4K is? 

I don't change it to HD and then back to 4k because that is stupid, why do that? 

Might as well go back to using a 800x600 CRT, install windows 95, change my ethernet to base 10, downgrade to a 386 Cyrix, and have windows 95 installed onto multiple floppy drives in raid, just to appreciate modern technology! 

4k is impressive at first, and it is impressive when you are viewing proper 4k content on a 4k screen that is high bitrate (So, UHD BluRays) but don't expect the leap to be as large as going from a older GPU to a new one. I'm pretty used to 4k right now, using 1080p on another monitor while sitting at the same distance just feels wrong to me now. But, using 1080p on a smaller screen (My monitors are all 28") that has a high PPI, I feel like I'm using 4k that is slightly less crispy with the text. Right now I'm typing this on a 1080p laptop and at 1.5ft away, its quite crisp but not as crisp. Oh well. 

What I mean by adding AA to 1080p is

unknown.png

you see, it just looks like they added AA to the icons :( thats what i was talking about (that image was more to show that an unrecognized file looks too close to a text file at 4k) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.