UPS for computer and networking rack

tronder

Hi Guys!

Looking into getting a UPS for my whole set up after a few blackouts lately and possible back power coming through the house, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions

Currently considering the Cyberpower PFC for computer+monitor and either a Cyberpower BRIC 1200VA or Powershield UPS 1200VA Defender or APC Back UPS BX1400U-AZ AVR LED

I would get the APC.I have heard good things about them.I would like to warn you that no UPS will last more than a couple of minutes for you to save your stuff and shut down

My life

I'd recommend this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048

I have the older version of this one and I'm very happy with it. It keeps my PC and a few other things running for over an hour at an 80 watt load. At maximum load it can last for about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend an APC one because I've had a bad past experience with them.

Edit: I found the one that I have, but it's a bit more expensive and has fewer outlets. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX57V9169

I got it for $120 on sale.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

5 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

I'd recommend this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048

I have the older version of this one and I'm very happy with it. It keeps my PC and a few other things running for over an hour at an 80 watt load. At maximum load it can last for about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend an APC one because I've had a bad past experience with them.

Edit: I found the one that I have, but it's quite a bit more expensive. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX57V9169

I got it for $120 on sale.

I wish they would sell those bloody models in australia!, All we got is the SOHO, BRIC and PFC ones

Just now, tronder said:

I wish they would sell those bloody models in australia!, All we got is the SOHO, BRIC and PFC ones

I have three different Cyberpower models and they all work well, I'd get anything from them that you can get in Australia.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

15 minutes ago, tronder said:

The PFC units from cyberpower are good, also what are your system specs or devices you plan to be running we can provide you a better idea of what your needs will be. 

19 minutes ago, W-L said:

The PFC units from cyberpower are good, also what are your system specs or devices you plan to be running we can provide you a better idea of what your needs will be. 

Im running a i7 7700k on a Asus Maximus IXHERO, GTX 1080 with full custom watercooling for CPU and Graphics card and a HX750i with a Asus MX279H monitor

Then networking im getting a separate UPS which ive got a Netgear JGS516PE, Ubiquiti USG, Ubiquiti Unifi AC PRO and Unifi Cloud key

I'd have to agree. The PFC units people have recommended are nice and have pretty good value, plus they output a pure sine wave. Just make sure you get one that can handle your power requirements.

47 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would get the APC.I have heard good things about them.I would like to warn you that no UPS will last more than a couple of minutes for you to save your stuff and shut down

This will vary based on your power draw and your UPS. If you're doing basic work (light web browsing, office work, etc), your PC, monitor, and router are probably consuming under 100 W. Many UPSes can give you well over 30 minutes (though I do not recommend using all 30 minutes if you want the batteries to last).

1 minute ago, tronder said:

Im running a i7 7700k on a Asus Maximus IXHERO, GTX 1080 with full custom watercooling for CPU and Graphics card and a HX750i with a Asus MX279H monitor

Then networking im getting a separate UPS which ive got a Netgear JGS516PE, Ubiquiti USG, Ubiquiti Unifi AC PRO and Unifi Cloud key

You would be good with this just for the system if you plan on getting a separate small unit for the netowrking. 

https://www.cyberpower.com/au/en/product/sku/CP900EPFCLCDa

2 minutes ago, tronder said:

That's a pretty nice setup. Your networking stuff is pretty close to what I'm planning to get.

I have a 6700k and 1070 wtih air cooling, so your PC certainly draws more electricity, but it should be pretty close while idle.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

17 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

That's a pretty nice setup. Your networking stuff is pretty close to what I'm planning to get.

I have a 6700k and 1070 wtih air cooling, so your PC certainly draws more electricity, but it should be pretty close while idle.

Honestly, i wish i would have spent that little bit more and just went full ubiquiti gear with the switch. the Unifi system is amazing especially with expand-ability