Retro Crossfire Question - Two Crossfire Editions in Crossfire

sazyario

So I ordered a Crossfire Edition X1950XTX & a normal X1950XTX.
Found the 'normal' one to be defective. I purchased a 2nd Crossfire Edition X1950XTX without first considering if a Crossfire of Two Crossfire Editions is technical possible.
Anyone with any input? Did I make a mistake ordering a 2nd Crossfire Edition.

Does the driver even support those?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Does the driver even support those?

It'd be an XP SP3 64bit machine.

The crossfire edition cards are only special because of the xfire port on them. Under the hood they are reference X1950 XTX's you should be able to crossfire them fine. 

Keep in mind however these cards are loud as balls, AND the stock thermal paste WILL need to be changed for fresh newer paste. My xfire version had dry paste and was hitting upto 95c under load before I changed it. 

Don't put any paste between the copper plate & the heatsink, you'll know what i'm talking about if you dis-assemble it. It will raise the block too far off the core and you wont get the correct contact onto the die.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:20 AM, Modzy said:

The crossfire edition cards are only special because of the xfire port on them. Under the hood they are reference X1950 XTX's you should be able to crossfire them fine. 

Keep in mind however these cards are loud as balls, AND the stock thermal paste WILL need to be changed for fresh newer paste. My xfire version had dry paste and was hitting upto 95c under load before I changed it. 

Don't put any paste between the copper plate & the heatsink, you'll know what i'm talking about if you dis-assemble it. It will raise the block too far off the core and you wont get the correct contact onto the die.

Thanks for the info. These crossfire editions seem rare, so I feel a little guilty using the two in crossfire, but don't want to throw more money at this project.

build:

AMD Opteron 180

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe

1GBx4 Super Talent RAM

2 Crossfire Edition ATI x1950xtx

Xion II Black/Silver Case

EVGA G3 650w 80+ Gold PSU

Western Digital Blue 1TB WD10EZEX

just a touch of modern with the psu & Hdd. Thinking of going FireCuda to make this thing scream. (Won't go SSD due to lack of SATA 6Gb/s and TRIM)

On 18/08/2017 at 0:05 PM, sazyario said:

Thanks for the info. These crossfire editions seem rare, so I feel a little guilty using the two in crossfire, but don't want to throw more money at this project.

build:

AMD Opteron 180

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe

1GBx4 Super Talent RAM

2 Crossfire Edition ATI x1950xtx

Xion II Black/Silver Case

EVGA G3 650w 80+ Gold PSU

Western Digital Blue 1TB WD10EZEX

just a touch of modern with the psu & Hdd. Thinking of going FireCuda to make this thing scream. (Won't go SSD due to lack of SATA 6Gb/s and TRIM)

Nice build, mine very similar. Keep in mine your card's wont have the best scaling with a 939 processor.

I've got the 180 on a dfi lanparty sli-dr expert with a pair of 6800 ultra's. 

Untitled.png.d2657a97513e274317be4283777e0ac3.png