hard disk problems

thomas gameris

Hi guys my hard disk is runing 100% 80 procent of the time what do i do it lags out everything. help me 

start by defragmenting it. also, open up task manager to see if there is some kind of program that is using up all the capacity. if that doesn't help, get an SSD and install windows and other programs that you use often on that SSD.

Option 1: Figure out what applications are using it and stop them.

Option 2: Get an SSD or faster hard drive

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

What processes are using the HDD?

Suggest putting the OS on an SSD (M.2 NVME if possible) and have the HDD only for games/file storage

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

What processes are using the HDD?

Suggest putting the OS on an SSD (M.2 NVME if possible) and have the HDD only for games/file storage

5 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

start by defragmenting it. also, open up task manager to see if there is some kind of program that is using up all the capacity. if that doesn't help, get an SSD and install windows and other programs that you use often on that SSD.

the max i saw the usage in mb was 25 and that not 100% + it started after a stormy night

if im not mistaken windows does have a utility to test hard drives, use that to see if it is damaged. if it is, you are just gonna have to replace it but you should probably try the other advice as well.

1 minute ago, stefanDB said:

if im not mistaken windows does have a utility to test hard drives, use that to see if it is damaged. if it is, you are just gonna have to replace it but you should probably try the other advice as well.

well the pc was unplugged from the wall  i was on it at the time so when i heard the first one i turned it off asap

3 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

here i send a screenshot

100p.bmp

2 minutes ago, thomas gameris said:

well the pc was unplugged from the wall  i was on it at the time so when i heard the first one i turned it off asap

did you perform a clean shutdown, or just pull the plug (the latter can cause damage to components)

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

did you perform a clean shutdown, or just pull the plug (the latter can cause damage to components)

well it was as clean as linus :D