pc locks up in games

208grom

ok so im new to gaming pcs and i picked up this thing and everything was going fine for a while, but now it seems to lock up/freeze in some games or drop frames for no apparent reason any help would be appreciated 

im currently running windows 10 pro 64 bit, I5 6600k with aio cooler, evga 980Ti with aio cooler, 16gb ram, asus z170 a mother board and evga 650 bq power supply

i mainly have problems with the computer locking up with blizzard games, but its also happened on fallout 4 which has also been dropping frames along with rust

Make sure your gpu is plugged in properly, you could possible just be gaming on integrated graphics xD

can integrated graphics get 100fps? also would i still get integrated graphics if my monitor is plugged into the gpu?

also it runs rainbow 6 siege no problem and it says my nvidia gsync is enabled

I legitimately don't know how g sync works, but I had this issue with my laptop with a 1060 in many valve games. By enabling v sync and limiting the fps to the refresh rate of my monitor it went away.

1. When was the last time you did a scandisk on your hardrive? Corrupt files can always cause issues. If a game was locking up for me, these would be my steps:

1. Verify all system drivers are up to date. (NVidia Experience, and Intel Driver update) 

2. Run CCleaner to get rid of temp files

3. Run a error check on the hard drive. (File Explorer -> Left Click on the drive your game sits on -> Properties -> "Tools" tab -> Error Checking "Check" button.

If still not fixed.

4. Reinstall Game. 

extreme measures (to rule out)

5. Perform hardware tests on hard drive, ram  and motherboard. Verify voltages of power supply under load. 

It wouldn't hurt to make sure you are running the latest Firmware for your motherboard. 

also forgot to add, in blizzard games it locks up and the audio buzzes through my headphones

ok no errors on my drives, all my drivers are up to date and ran CCleaner. how do i do the hardware tests?

and i guess theres been three bios updates since mine but mine is from febuary

Temps? Overwatch and a lot of newer games love to use the cpu could simply be that your cpu overclock isn't stable anymore. I've had this issue as cpus get older they MIGHT need slightly more power. I would suggest setting everything to STOCK including cpu, gpu, AND RAM. play a game if the issues are still there then I would expect a software issue get all your important files onto a usb thumb and reinstall windows. Note windows reinstall but actually wiping the drive and reinstalling windows but actually wipe and install to make sure that if its a software issue it will go away. If you have issues after that then its a hardware issue. @208grom

gpu doesnt go over 65c and cpu doesnt get above the 60s, both are on aio coolers

well i think i figured out why i was dropping frames, for some reason nvidea optimized my games and set fallout to 3620x2036 instead of 2560x1440

put the cpu and gpu back to stock default settings and still having problems with games locking up with the buzzing sound

I had this problem with my IGP activated, I assume it was due to thermal throtteling because it couldn't be cooled properly...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

whats IGP? @Jonas_2909 also i removed my ssd and so far i havent been able to make it happen again

ok well the gpu had a driver update and it went about a day without freezing and just a little bit ago it froze while watching a youtube video

Your IGP is the ntegrated [G]raphics [P]rocessor of your CPU. Which GPU did you do a driver update for, @208grom?

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

@Jonas_2909 i did the driver update for the 980ti and its frozen two times in the past hour just watching a youtube video

while watching youtube my cpu voltage is pretty much sitting at .848 with the clock hitting up to 4200 

Are you a chrome user? As far as I know Google Chrome uses the GPU for rendering...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace