PCI-E Riser Safety

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,
10 hours ago, Bakasura said:

I currently have the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 80+ GOLD and yep they're simple Singular molex to molex. If it matters the graphics cards connected to the PCI-E Risers would both be 1060's

Yeah it'd be fine to plug the risers into that molex cable string.

Hello All!

I recently got into crypto mining and have loved every second of it. Currently, I am expanding my rig from 2 GPU to 4. Due to this I have come down with needing PCI-E Risers and have seen all the horror stories surrounding Sata To Molex so I just had some questions to make sure I am taking all the precautions I can to keep it safe.

I ended up throwing the sata to molex cable out and got a three molex to power supply cable that is connected to the peripheral slot and it was not long enough so I got two molex to molex braided extenders. I was wondering if this was the best solution. I also got two USB 3.0 Extenders due to length issues.

My question is are the molex extenders going to be safe and can I connect both of the molex extenders to the single cable that has 3 molex female that is directly connected to the psu?

35 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Simple molex to molex extenders should be fine if it's not splitting anything (i.e. 1 molex to 2 molex) and that last question, it depends on the PSU. So, what PSU are you using?

I currently have the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 80+ GOLD and yep they're simple Singular molex to molex. If it matters the graphics cards connected to the PCI-E Risers would both be 1060's

10 hours ago, Bakasura said:

Yeah it'd be fine to plug the risers into that molex cable string.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Ideally, you will want to plug your PSU cords directly into your riser, without using any kind of adapters. Meaning if you have a V006c (PCIe) riser, you would want to plug in the 6-pin PCIe cable into the riser, rather than use the PCIe to Sata adapter that comes with most of those.

Also, each connector (Molex, PCIe and Sata) all come with a certain wattage that they are rated to output.

Molex is around 100W, Sata is around 75W and PCIe at 150W. Need to make sure your PSU rails don't draw too much power off a single line or it will melt the connectors and start a fire.

Personal rule of thumb is you can connect 2 risers to a single molex/PCIe string (never more than that), and 1 to a sata string (while 2 should be possible, it makes me uncomfortable drawing that much power over a sata rail).