Cpu cooler rpm not changing with cpu temps

Sam5127

Hi, my cpu is i5-4690 (non k) and I use the intel stock cooler. The cpu cooler's fan rpm doesnt not change with cpu load so as a result the cpu reaches 80-88c max while playing games like gta v. I've uploaded a video of cinebench and see how during the benchmark cpu rpm doesnt change much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3S-1KGVCnY&feature=you...
Help please? :) 

What motherboard are you using and what header is the cpu fan plugged into?

Are you using the default motherboard settings?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

on what plug do you have the cpu fan connected? is it a 4 pin plug?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using and what header is the cpu fan plugged into?

Are you using the default motherboard settings?

Moved to Air Cooling.

My motherboard is Asus H97 Pro Gamer. I'm using the auto motherboard setting. How do I check which header is it plugged into?

how do i see if its a 4pin or 3 pin?

Just now, Sam5127 said:

My motherboard is Asus H97 Pro Gamer. I'm using the auto motherboard setting. How do I check which header is it plugged into?

Follow the wire coming from the cpu fan to the motherboard. There should be a label like cpu_fan1 on the motherboard next to the fan header.

1 minute ago, Sam5127 said:

how do i see if its a 4pin or 3 pin?

The stock cpu cooler uses a 4pin pwm fan.

molex-en.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if its a 4 pin pwm fan, it wouldnt fit in a 3 pin header, right?

Just now, Sam5127 said:

if its a 4 pin pwm fan, it wouldnt fit in a 3 pin header, right?

2, 3, and 4pin fan headers are backwards compatible in that power can still be delivered and the fan will still spin. Not having the 3rd or 4th pin on one end can mean that there won't be a rpm or pwm signal though.

4pin.jpgconnector_mbfanpwm_4to3pin.png

Which header is the cpu fan plugged into?

Its plugged into CPU OPT header

Looks like its 4 pin

11 minutes ago, Sam5127 said:

Looks like its 4 pin

plug it in to the "cpu fan" header instead, it should be right next to it. exchange any fan you have there from before
CPU Opt is for optional CPU fans (say if your cooler has two fans)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

what difference does the cpu fan and cpu opt fan header make?

Just now, Sam5127 said:

what difference does the cpu fan and cpu opt fan header make?

the CPU fan header is configured as the main connection for CPU cooling, CPU OPT may not have the same type of control built in or enabled.. always connect parts to the most primary connection

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Sam5127 said:

Looks like its 4 pin

That shouldn't make much if any difference from the cpu_fan header. In case I'm wrong, it's probably still better to have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu_fan header.

You should try that and see if it makes any difference to your fan speeds. It could also help to check your motherboard fan settings to make sure that the header the fan plugged into is set to pwm mode as opposed to dc for your 4pin pwm cpu fan.

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

24 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That shouldn't make much if any difference from the cpu_fan header. In case I'm wrong, it's probably still better to have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu_fan header.

You should try that and see if it makes any difference to your fan speeds. It could also help to check your motherboard fan settings to make sure that the header the fan plugged into is set to pwm mode as opposed to dc for your 4pin pwm cpu fan.

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

okay, ill plug it into the cpu_fan header. The pwm and dc mode settings are in bios or do i have to download the AI Suite from asus's website to change them?

4 minutes ago, Sam5127 said:

okay, ill plug it into the cpu_fan header. The pwm and dc mode settings are in bios or do i have to download the AI Suite from asus's website to change them?

Yes, they're in the bios.

4 minutes ago, Sam5127 said:

setting them in bios should suffice, AI suite is for ease of use for people not that comfortable doing it in bios, or when setting up and trying to find the perfect curve as you can put the pc under load and quickly change fan speeds for fast results

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler