AMD Drivers. Which to install?

Hey, i have had this problem whenever i am to update my drivers for my GPU. I am usually presented with 2 drivers, the recommended and the optional drivers. I would like to download both, so do i download the 2 of them or only the latest one (17.6.2 in this case).

Thanks for the helpamd.png.a3d658393e8568dec7c83899946cb37f.png

you can only have one active at a time. optional can be faster but it can also be glitchy if you want to be safe just stick with recommended 

Just now, Alaradia said:

you can only have one active at a time. optional can be faster but it can also be glitchy if you want to be safe just stick with recommended 

I just realised the "New reccomended" is an older version than my currently installed. Does that mean that i have an optional driver and the reccomended would be a 'downgrade' ?

Just now, Georg Grech said:

I just realised the "New reccomended" is an older version than my currently installed. Does that mean that i have an optional driver and the reccomended would be a 'downgrade' ?

it means you would be using an older driver which could be either good or bad just depending on what you want to do with it  each driver version has its own issues and advantages. unless your having issues its best to just leave it be 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

it means you would be using an older driver which could be either good or bad just depending on what you want to do with it  each driver version has its own issues and advantages. unless your having issues its best to just leave it be 

Ah OK i understand. So the older driver can also be used in case you're experiencing problems with the optional driver you have installed. If i want the latest version i would use the new optional one right?

15 minutes ago, Georg Grech said:

Hey, i have had this problem whenever i am to update my drivers for my GPU. I am usually presented with 2 drivers, the recommended and the optional drivers. I would like to download both, so do i download the 2 of them or only the latest one (17.6.2 in this case).

Thanks for the help

The recommended one is the stable verified driver, while optional one is the beta type driver. It is up to you to choose do you want to run tested stable one or potentially unstable "beta" one.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

4 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

The recommended one is the stable verified driver, while optional one is the beta type driver. It is up to you to choose do you want to run tested stable one or potentially unstable "beta" one.

OK thanks a lot! I'll download the optional one since I've never had any trouble with those.

I have been using the optional driver on my R9 380x and I have had no issues.