Linux distro for teamspeak server and remote control

Hello guys.

So i have a lot of old spare hardware, and i've been thinking of making a teamspeak server to use with my friends. I'm pretty sure that the hardware can handle a 5-6 slot server(p4 2.8ghz non ht, 512mb ram).

So one of my problems is that i dont have a spare IDE HDD to use on the system, and if i had, i wouldnt want to use it because it would be noisy. 

I am going to place it somewhere near my router, without any monitor, mouse or keyboard. So i would like to have a way to control it from my main computer.

So in a nutshell i would like to:

1)Be able to run the system from just a usb stick

2)Be able to control the system from my windows 10 pc

3)Of course run a teamspeak server

4)Configure the system in a way, that it will boot and start the server, and the remote control thingy, in case of a power outage

My barely have any linux knowledge, so any help would be appreciated. 

I am thinking about puppy.

What do you guys think?

Any Ubuntu flavor would be a good place to start if you barely have any Linux knowledge. I'd say Lubuntu, considering your server specs.

You might need to enable persistence to keep all the data on the USB after rebooting: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

23 minutes ago, GouStoulos said:

I'm pretty sure that the hardware can handle a 5-6 slot server(p4 2.8ghz non ht, 512mb ram).

the hardware probably can handle it but thanks to that P4 it will be one power hungy teamspeak server - cooling this space heater of a CPU also won't be ultra quiet either. 

if your mainboard has no SATA, you can buy IDE SSDs in various sizes and prizes, but also inexpensive IDE to CF card or even SD card adapters.

if your mainboard can boot from USB, you could use a USB stick or external HDD

anyways, to remote control your server you can use SSH - that is built into most linux distros AFAIK.

it does not give you a graphical interface but that is not really needed for a server

team viewer is also available on linux and there is a ton of VNC compatible stuff for both windows and linux if you really need a graphical desktop to click around. 

but then again - doesn't teamspeak server come with a web interface for configuration?

On 2017-6-18 at 7:52 PM, evilarceus said:

Any Ubuntu flavor would be a good place to start if you barely have any Linux knowledge. I'd say Lubuntu, considering your server specs.

You might need to enable persistence to keep all the data on the USB after rebooting: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

while lubuntu is a good choice it recommends 512mb of RAM for something as simple as libre office so running a team speak server may be a little demanding. The only way to know would be to try it though. 

If you find it is a little too demanding you could try damn small linux. I did a similiar setup around 10 years ago but I have no idea if the later team speak servers will be compatible. Its system requirements are 8mb of RAM so a little less.