Ubiquiti Routers

tronder

Hi all, trying to decide between two routers either the Unifi Security Gateway or Edge Router Lite.

I currently have a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro and a 16 port switch with a Nas im upgrading to a Synology 1517+ to run link aggregation eventually. 
Any ideas on which is best, there's not much info on the USG...

It's really up to you.

Get the Security gateway if you want better control over your wifi devices

Get the ERLite-3 if you want better routing and performance.

My native language is C++

2 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

It's really up to you.

Get the Security gateway if you want better control over your wifi devices

Get the ERLite-3 if you want better routing and performance.

What exactly do you mean by better routing and performance?

2 hours ago, tronder said:

What exactly do you mean by better routing and performance?

It has better control over firewall rules through the CLI and webgui. If you want advanced routing rules, you will need to go with the ERLite-3.

I personally use the ERLite-3 because it has a better case and I don't find the advantages of the USG to be appealing enough to warrant the extra $10-20

My native language is C++

i would not recommend either as a router, unless you plan on using software that isnt routing related you're better off with mikrotik, they just make better routers. Mikrotik can do firewall and port forwarding with hardware acceleration, it can accelerate some traffic and do QoS with others, something ubiquiti and any other router cant do. Performance wise the mikrotik hex3 (rb750gxr3) is better than the ERL/security gateway and comes with way more features as a router, the only difference is that you cant install software on it like you can on the ERL. I have both the ERPRO and mikrotik CCR, mikrotik's hardware is way better in price/performance and as a router but you cant install other software on it, as with ubiquiti i havent had much success using it as a linux box but i've managed to get some software installed and working like squid3, htop. with mikrotik their hex3 and better can run their network monitoring software on the router itself.

4 hours ago, tt2468 said:

It has better control over firewall rules through the CLI and webgui. If you want advanced routing rules, you will need to go with the ERLite-3.

I personally use the ERLite-3 because it has a better case and I don't find the advantages of the USG to be appealing enough to warrant the extra $10-20

Thanks for the help, still undecided however im leaning more to the USG as i do like the unifi interface. All i need the switch to do is port forward my NAS ports so i can access them externally.

8 hours ago, System Error Message said:

i would not recommend either as a router, unless you plan on using software that isnt routing related you're better off with mikrotik, they just make better routers. Mikrotik can do firewall and port forwarding with hardware acceleration, it can accelerate some traffic and do QoS with others, something ubiquiti and any other router cant do. Performance wise the mikrotik hex3 (rb750gxr3) is better than the ERL/security gateway and comes with way more features as a router, the only difference is that you cant install software on it like you can on the ERL. I have both the ERPRO and mikrotik CCR, mikrotik's hardware is way better in price/performance and as a router but you cant install other software on it, as with ubiquiti i havent had much success using it as a linux box but i've managed to get some software installed and working like squid3, htop. with mikrotik their hex3 and better can run their network monitoring software on the router itself.

This is what I was going to say^

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"