Workstation only seeing 1 of 2 CPU's HELP!

Hey gang,

I have a bit of weird problem with my new-to-me workstation only seeing 1 of 2 CPUs on my motherboard. I inherited from work a tower that houses an ASUS Z8NA-D6 board with dual Xeon E5650's, 24GB of DDR3 and a 380Watt Antec EarthWatts power supply. (I know, lucky me) I've added an older SSD and thrown Win10 on it, it boots fine.

However, Windows and the BIOS only sees 1 of the 2 Xeon CPUs. I've tried swapping them around incase one of them is dead, but I get the same result both ways. As well I've checked to see if one of the CPUs is disabled in the BIOS. Now, ASUS recco's the board needs a minimum 450Watt PSU, I suspect this could be the solution be the problem. Anyone had experience with anything like this? Would a board do this (disable a CPU) if it didn't have enough power for both?

Many thank yous.

1 minute ago, _ndythomas said:

Hey gang,

I have a bit of weird problem with my new-to-me workstation only seeing 1 of 2 CPUs on my motherboard. I inherited from work a tower that houses an ASUS Z8NA-D6 board with dual Xeon E5650's, 24GB of DDR3 and a 380Watt Antec EarthWatts power supply. (I know, lucky me) I've added an older SSD and thrown Win10 on it, it boots fine.

However, Windows and the BIOS only sees 1 of the 2 Xeon CPUs. I've tried swapping them around incase one of them is dead, but I get the same result both ways. As well I've checked to see if one of the CPUs is disabled in the BIOS. Now, ASUS recco's the board needs a minimum 450Watt PSU, I suspect this could be the solution be the problem. Anyone had experience with anything like this? Would a board do this (disable a CPU) if it didn't have enough power for both?

Many thank yous.

It wouldn't disable it... but it cannot power it so it will not show up because it is not running :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

a 380 watt PSU? In a workstation? WTH?!

Try replacing the PSU and make sure both CPUs are getting power (aka make sure the 8-pin is plugged in)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

If you only have the CPU power connection on the second slot, does it recognize the second?

as in only plug in half of the 8 (usually a 4+4) pin connector then the other half, and it would show whether both sockets are getting enough power

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If there are two 8-pin EPS power connectors

5450s are 4 pin power connections

23 minutes ago, _ndythomas said:

Hey gang,

Many thank yous.

Does that power supply even have the right power connectors? Some dual-socket motherboards want more than a single 8 pin CPU power cable and most power supplies only have one.

3 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

5450s are 4 pin power connections

The OP has 5650s. Might need more power.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

what RAM configuration are both using? since dual CPU builds usually require separate RAM modules from each other

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

The OP has 5650s, they're a 90W TDP part.

still only 4 pin :P I clearly misread the 5650 and thought 5450....but that was the other thread where one was looking for a GPU

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

still only 4 pin :P I clearly misread the 5650 and thought 5450....but that was the other thread where one was looking for a GPU

Yeah, the motherboard only has a single 8 pin, just looked up the part.

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z8NAD6/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

27 minutes ago, _ndythomas said:

Hey gang,

Many thank yous.

As others have suggested, your current PSU is probably not good enough to power both CPUs.

Also, what version of Windows are you running. I think you need the Pro version to run 2 physical CPUs. Home version is limited to one.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Just now, Fetzie said:

Yeah, the motherboard only has a single 8 pin, just looked up the part.

easy to get a stable 4GHz on the 5650 too

Needs to be Windows 10 pro. Home only supports 1 cpu.

Should show both in bios for post though. Even with a 350 watt.

Unless your psu doesn't have dual 4 pins for cpu power. Your mobo should have two 4/8 pin connectors for cpu power.

Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. The PSU does have an 8 pin for the CPUs and everything else is properly accounted for and powered as well. 

I do have Win10 Pro running on it, so I suspect that isn't the issue. After asking around at work, I was informed that the 380Watt PSU was a replacement after the older one kicked the bucket (my buddy said it was "just laying around") so I don't think anyone noticed it was only running one CPU for a long time.

I'll try to go pick up a beefier PSU and see if that makes a difference. Stay tuned for updates!

Thanks!

Give it a try, but it should still show in bios even if it won't supply enough watts for running on load. 

Can you take a picture of your motherboard?