rx480 crossfire options

hello, i want to upgrade my rig and get another graphics card, or another monitor, but thats not for here.

i currently own an rx480 nitro+ from sapphire, and use a i5 7600k overclocked to 4.9 and msi z270 krait gaming.

i am wondering which graphics card should i get? an addittional rx480? one of the new rx580?

will an rx470 do any good to me? rx570?

thanks alot

if you get an rx 470 the current rx 480 will be downclocked to the 470 level so that's like 470 in xf

same thing if you get 580 it will be downclocked to 480

depends on resolution and games you play, xf isn't worth it, you also have to worry for power as 2 cards consumes more power than one and you also have to take in mind that not all game supports cf

and also the fact the i5 7600k can potentially bottleneck too

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

if you get an rx 470 the current rx 480 will be downclocked to the 470 level so that's like 470 in xf

same thing if you get 580 it will be downclocked to 480

depends on resolution and games you play, xf isn't worth it, you also have to worry for power as 2 cards consumes more power than one and you also have to take in mind that not all game supports cf

and also the fact the i5 7600k can potentially bottleneck too

thanks alot

Getting another of the exact same card is your best option. As said they will downclock to the lowest card so a 580 is a waste.

Depending on the games you play that 4 core 4 thread i5 could soon become your bottleneck rather than the GPU. You could address this by moving up in resolution on your monitor.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Getting another of the exact same card is your best option. As said they will downclock to the lowest card so a 580 is a waste.

Depending on the games you play that 4 core 4 thread i5 could soon become your bottleneck rather than the GPU. You could address this by moving up in resolution on your monitor.

thanks, what does moving up in resolution means?

Sell your 480 and get a 1070!

All games don't support crossfire, and you'll skip having the issues of it.

Having one POWERFUL card is better than 2 "meh" cards :)

Not saying that the 480 sucks btw :P

2 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

thanks, what does moving up in resolution means?

It means moving from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p monitor for example.

Although as above has said your best option is always most powerful single card you can afford. Consider 1 1070 or hang on until June for Vega which will hopefully be better than a 1070 at the usual good AMD price point.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Sell your 480 and get a 1070!

All games don't support crossfire, and you'll skip having the issues of it.

Having one POWERFUL card is better than 2 "meh" cards :)

Not saying that the 480 sucks btw :P

i was fumbeling with that option, but there is no market or buyers in my area

2 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

i was fumbeling with that option, but there is no market or buyers in my area

There are always buyers, even more so when it comes to new parts like the 480 :)

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

see my edit

thanks, but as it seems, vega will get here only in september, ryzen only got here a month ago or so, and bearly

3 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

thanks, but as it seems, vega will get here only in september, ryzen only got here a month ago or so, and bearly

That's a misinterpreted quote from Lisa Su.

It is expected no later than July. This was cleared up on r/AMD.

Its the end of may Ryzen has been here since 2nd March. I've had Ryzen in my system for 3 months. I don't see how its relevant :P Ryzen launched when it was supposed to.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

That's a misinterpreted quote from Lisa Su.

It is expected no later than July. This was cleared up on r/AMD

what i mean is that no retailers that are getting the new releases when they are released

4 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

Vega will launch be end of Q2, which ends June 30th. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

i recommend a 580 as theyre the same price. my older brother upgraded his pc with a 4gb 480 with a 580 8gb. sure, the 580 loses half its vram and downclocks a little, but in games that arent good with cfx, he turns the 4gb 480 off and runs with the single card

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Right now for my dual hd 7970's games perform like shit and im having tons of isssues with new driver updates idk what is really going on but from some insight from a friend it might be temps which is throttling causing crashed but im not really sure, i dont think crossfire is optimised at all for amd so i wouldnt recommend it...