what kind of light should I buy to begin with

Hi people,

I want to know what kind light to buy to begin with for my filmsor videos (If I need an led, strobe, fresnel, or 2 leds, a fresnel and 1 strobe...etc). I want to know the right setup to actually start with, and understand the principles of lighting and also create good content.

Thank

4 minutes ago, Al_Salvador said:

Hi people,

I want to know what kind light to buy to begin with for my filmsor videos (If I need an led, strobe, fresnel, or 2 leds, a fresnel and 1 strobe...etc). I want to know the right setup to actually start with, and understand the principles of lighting and also create good content.

Thank

If it's for video, start off with a minimum of 2 LED continuous light panels.  From that you work out how much more light you need, such as if you are lighting for a green screen background you will need a couple of more lights to also make sure the green backdrop is evenly lit.

I would recommend starting with 2 LED panels that are around 30cm x 30cm square shaped.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

17 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

If it's for video, start off with a minimum of 2 LED continuous light panels.  From that you work out how much more light you need, such as if you are lighting for a green screen background you will need a couple of more lights to also make sure the green backdrop is evenly lit.

I would recommend starting with 2 LED panels that are around 30cm x 30cm square shaped.

I also considered buying softboxes (neewer ones). what do you think? . By the way thanks for the answer it's really helpful

On 5/20/2017 at 2:20 PM, Al_Salvador said:

I also considered buying softboxes (neewer ones). what do you think? . By the way thanks for the answer it's really helpful

Hold off on softboxes.  Buy the lights first (if they come with softboxes, fine, but if the softboxes are extra purchases) and see how the image looks captured by the camera.  Then see if you need more lights to get a better exposure or use a softbox to soften the lighting because it's too harsh.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 5/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

For video this is the best way to start.

Check out this video to pick one. https://youtu.be/kwrGLPi6qb4

He has a video for the $50-$100 range of led pannels as well as a ton of other budget video gear.