Linux on a HP x360???

So basically I would like to find out if loading Linux onto a new Hp x360 laptop is possible. I have already tried burning the ISO onto a USB with no avail, I have also tried using a portable DVD writer and attempted to burn the iso onto that and attempted to boot from it on my laptop. All of which have shown up as "windows failed to load" which I think is the computer not being able to identify the Linux OS on the bootable media. 

Is there something I may have overlooked or is it just straight up impossible to load Linux onto a HP laptop?

Laptop model: HP Pavilion x360 13-u158tu

Linux Distro: Kali Linux

Thanks in advance

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

12 minutes ago, another random person said:

So basically I would like to find out if loading Linux onto a new Hp x360 laptop is possible. I have already tried burning the ISO onto a USB with no avail, I have also tried using a portable DVD writer and attempted to burn the iso onto that and attempted to boot from it on my laptop. All of which have shown up as "windows failed to load" which I think is the computer not being able to identify the Linux OS on the bootable media. 

Is there something I may have overlooked or is it just straight up impossible to load Linux onto a HP laptop?

Laptop model: HP Pavilion x360 13-u158tu

Linux Distro: Kali Linux

Thanks in advance

Maybe try formatting the drive then installing it?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

Maybe try formatting the drive then installing it?

I have shrunk the windows partition and left a spare 40GB un-partitioned for the Linux install, but I couldn't even get the laptop to boot off the Disc or USB.

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Just now, another random person said:

I have shrunk the windows partition and left a spare 40GB un-partitioned for the Linux install, but I couldn't even get the laptop to boot off the Disc or USB.

But Windows might be going no I want no other OS on this drive so you might need to format the drive to make Linux happy

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

But Windows might be going no I want no other OS on this drive so you might need to format the drive to make Linux happy

I already did it for my other Lenovo laptop the exact same way, Shrink partition and load os on the same drive but different partition and it worked like a charm. Probably just a HP thing...I'm assuming.

Desktop

LAPTOP

3 minutes ago, another random person said:

I already did it for my other Lenovo laptop the exact same way, Shrink partition and load os on the same drive but different partition and it worked like a charm. Probably just a HP thing...I'm assuming.

Check to see if any one else has that problem with the same laptop with the same version of Linux

I've done this, my comments come from experience, but I'm by no means an expert.

If you're using Kali, this shouldn't even be a question for you... lol.

You might also want to ask yourself if you even need Kali dual booted on your machine?...

Linux Mint might make more sense as it's more functional as an OS, plus you could just install only the hack tools you use, rather than the whole suite and waste that much space and resources.

Your post is unclear when you get the failed message, but Windows shouldn't be trying to load anything. If this is during your machine's startup, it's an issue with your boot loader. If it's while your Windows OS is running, then of course Windows cannot open a linux distro like an .exe file; it seems that's what your trying to do if I understood your post correctly.

I would recommend you simply use a virtual machine.

I prefer to use Kali on a live USB, copied using Pendrive Linux.

And I do have Linux Mint as my second OS dual booted on all of my machines.

But assuming you're stubborn like me and want to continue, your issues are (or will eventually be) with your boot loader. Make sure you have successfully installed GRUB 2.02.

I'm not sure how you are installing Kali, but the method you should use for a dual boot would be to create a live usb (Pendrive Linux Universal USB Installer, Startup Disk Creator, UNetbootin, Rufus, Daemon Tools, PowerISO... they all should work), reboot your system with your live USB plugged in, on startup (before the OS loads) press f9 or f10 (depends on your machine) and load from your USB device. Kali will start up, and you can install it in the partition you want. I recommend going to the Ubuntu forums and help sections to understand how to partition your drive correctly and where to place the boot loader.

If f9/f10 didn't work for you, use Escape or f2 at startup to enter you BIOS, and change your boot settings to load from the USB device first, before your HDD/SSD.

Good luck and happy hacking~

2 minutes ago, MRobertMarks said:

I've done this, my comments come from experience, but I'm by no means an expert.

If you're using Kali, this shouldn't even be a question for you... lol.

You might also want to ask yourself if you even need Kali dual booted on you machine?...

Linux Mint might make more sense as it's more functional as an OS, plus you could just install only the hack tools you use, rather than the whole suite and waste that much space and resources.

Of course Windows cannot open a linux distro like an .exe file, it seems that's what your trying to do if I understood your post correctly.

I would recommend you simply use a virtual machine.

I prefer to use Kali on a live USB, copied using Pendrive Linux.

And I do have Linux Mint as my second OS dual booted on all of my machines.

But assuming you're stubborn like me and want to continue, your issues are (or will eventually be) with your boot loader. Make sure you have successfully installed GRUB 2.02.

I'm not sure how you are installing Kali, but the method you should use would be to create a live usb (Pendrive Linux Universal USB Installer, Startup Disk Creator, UNetbootin, Rufus, Daemon Tools, PowerISO... they all should work), reboot your system with you live USB plugged in, on startup (before the OS loads) press f9 or f10 (depends on your machine) and load from your USB device. Kali will start up, and you can install it in the partition you want. I recommend going to the Ubuntu forums and help sections to understand how to partition your drive correctly and where to place the boot loader.

If f9/f10 didn't work for you, use Escape or f2 at startup to enter you BIOS, and change your boot settings to load from the USB device first, before your HDD/SSD.

Good luck and happy hacking~

Thank you for your in depth reply. I have successfully loaded Kali onto a live usb and entered the bios to boot from the USB. However, the laptop claims that "Selected boot image did not authenticate".

Lmao well, I'm installing Kali to have a platform where I can learn ethical hacking so yeah especially around linux and things I am a complete beginner.

Rather unfortunately virtual machines do not really allow direct access to the wifi networks and I have already done everything to try with minimal success. 

Yeah...I maybe wasn't as clear..sorry, my bad. 

Desktop

LAPTOP

58 minutes ago, another random person said:

Thank you for your in depth reply. I have successfully loaded Kali onto a live usb and entered the bios to boot from the USB. However, the laptop claims that "Selected boot image did not authenticate".

Lmao well, I'm installing Kali to have a platform where I can learn ethical hacking so yeah especially around linux and things I am a complete beginner.

Rather unfortunately virtual machines do not really allow direct access to the wifi networks and I have already done everything to try with minimal success. 

Yeah...I maybe wasn't as clear..sorry, my bad. 

Ok, I've tried wifi cracking before also (takes forever...), I know exactly what you're trying to do and how it needs direct access to the wifi card. (A USB wifi dongle might work better in some situations).

It seems that your live USB image either did not copy correctly, or there was an error in your .ISO download. If i were you, I'd try starting over, re-downloading and everything. And maybe use a different program to burn the image (Pendrive Linux is my fave on a PC).

If all that fails again, then you can also install Kali as a dual boot on your partition (exactly how you are trying to do it) from a virtual machine.

Again, just make sure you install the boot loader correctly and the partitions are correct, otherwise you run the risk of installing over your Windows OS, or breaking the Windows boot loader.

I assume you've already backed up your important data, and you should have a live Windows USB ready, just in case you need to repair/reinstall Windows. (Rufus or Windows USB/DVD Download Tool would work well to create this. - Keep a note of your Windows Activation Key, if you're legal)

The Ubuntu and Mint Forums are great resources for how to do this, and I'll link some what I found on a quick google search a second ago.

Kali is a Debian distro, so when troubleshooting, you should be looking up solutions in the Debian forums and wiki.

Unless you have a specific hacking question, the Ubuntu and Mint communities have likely already answered it, or will answer your questions very quickly. 

Also check out the IRC chat rooms for Ubuntu and Mint.

Side note; keep 'MAC spoofing' in mind when wifi cracking. Yes, you'll need access to an already authorized device, but it's much easier in my opinion :)

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3367723/install-linux-ubuntu-spectre-x360.html

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2017 at 11:04 PM, Billy_Mays said:

Check to see if any one else has that problem with the same laptop with the same version of Linux

i am running dual live boot with kali and manjaro and i have an hp stream x360..i can get it to atleast start to boot but it takes me to a bash cmd screen and im new also to it all so thats as far as i got but it shows that its atleast possible and not an HP issue.. i was also running same dual boot usb on another way outdated gateway laptop tht came original with vista.lol. if anyone can help me out as well that be great..but no i dont think its an Hp issue