What does Dell's PC HDR mean?

saras

So, dell has been calling its new iteration of the S2418HN an FHD "HDR" monitor, with the hdr having a nasty little "1" beside it that once pressed states that "Dell’s HDR feature has been designed with a PC user in mind and supports specifications that are different from existing TV standards for HDR. Please review the specs carefully for further details."

So, what does this actually mean in practical terms? What is the different between it and other just high end displays?

It doesn't really mean anything. The monitor has a wide color gamut which is required, but it's not the one required for any of the mainstream HDR standards.

Color gamut is only half the story though. For an HDR display to really flex its HDRness, it needs a high static contrast ratio (or at least higher maximum brightness)

So basically marketing speak and it's in no way different from the same models of yesteryear?

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It doesn't really mean anything. The monitor has a wide color gamut which is required, but it's not the one required for any of the mainstream HDR standards.

Color gamut is only half the story though. For an HDR display to really flex its HDRness, it needs a high static contrast ratio (or at least higher maximum brightness)

it has the contrast and nit, 1000:1 is the HDR standard - If Andromeda on my 4k HDR is anything to go by, i'd this is quite a big deal

edit - actually I just seen the extra text in the op's comment I didn't notice before due to night theme

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, saras said:

So basically marketing speak and it's in no way different from the same models of yesteryear?

It's marketing speak yes, but the older models may not have supported the wider color gamuts. That is, higher end monitors are starting tout their color accuracy credentials by using the DCI-P3 color standard as the minimum instead sRGB. Because I guess 99% sRGB is easy to do now for lower-end monitors