Vertical GPU in Carbide Air 540

I've seen this pictures of people modding their Air 540 to showcase their graphics card vertically.

I've already done some modding on this case with a Dremel so I'm not opposed to getting a bit dirty again.

Assuming I want to use the space to the left of the PCI brackets, what would I need to acquire to be able to securely mount the graphics card there?

For context, this will be in a custom water cooling loop. The block is a bit heavier than a regular air cooler.

Also, welding or soldering is pretty much out of the question at this point.

Any recommendations?

---

i think you would need to cut out a piece at the top and bend it inwards, then make a hole or something to attach the gpu screw. on the underside you could mount some sort of slit or screw for the gpu to hold on, also i would suggest you support the backside of the gpu with something since it wont be connected to the motherboard anymore and will sag a lot without that support.

3 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

i think you would need to cut out a piece at the top and bend it inwards, then make a hole or something to attach the gpu screw. on the underside you could mount some sort of slit or screw for the gpu to hold on, also i would suggest you support the backside of the gpu with something since it wont be connected to the motherboard anymore and will sag a lot without that support.

I agree that the GPU will need some extra support.

Granted, it's also going to get some support from the thick tubing connecting it to the rest of the loop.

But yeah, good call on bending back the metal to give mounting points for the screws.

---

9 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

or you could try this

So sacrificing some of the PCI slot covers so there's already some support for the screws.

This is an interesting proposition. Thanks for the tip.

---

Posting this here.

In the comments of that video I found someone who did this on their own Air 540.

imgur post here

I'm just going to need to really measure this since it doesn't look like I'll be able to keep my pump/res in the same chamber as the GPU if I go this route.

No rush, there's plenty of time to figure this all out. But having some samples like this really show just what I need to keep aware of.

---

19 hours ago, PrimeSonic said:

I've seen this pictures of people modding their Air 540 to showcase their graphics card vertically.

I've already done some modding on this case with a Dremel so I'm not opposed to getting a bit dirty again.

Assuming I want to use the space to the left of the PCI brackets, what would I need to acquire to be able to securely mount the graphics card there?

For context, this will be in a custom water cooling loop. The block is a bit heavier than a regular air cooler.

Also, welding or soldering is pretty much out of the question at this point.

Any recommendations?

If you want to add in extra pcie slots to house the GPU beside the current ones you can get a bracket like this.

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-brushed-alu-p-701.html?osCsid=74g162tqq4t1c81cpgividsil3

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you want to add in extra pcie slots to house the GPU beside the current ones you can get a bracket like this.

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-brushed-alu-p-701.html?osCsid=74g162tqq4t1c81cpgividsil3

Thanks for the tip.

I might need something like this if I really want to do this mod given the space constraints I have with the GPU and the tube res/pump all in the same chamber.

I'm going to try to keep using my Air 540 for as long as I can, especially now that I've already started modding it.

So I'll be looking for ways to keep it fresh.

---

35 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

Thanks for the tip.

I might need something like this if I really want to do this mod given the space constraints I have with the GPU and the tube res/pump all in the same chamber.

I'm going to try to keep using my Air 540 for as long as I can, especially now that I've already started modding it.

So I'll be looking for ways to keep it fresh.

The Air 540 is quite roomy you could mount the res and pump in the rear portion if space is limited. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

The Air 540 is quite roomy you could mount the res and pump in the rear portion if space is limited. 

Well yes, of course.

But I didn't purchase a pretty looking res with lighting just to hide it in the rear chamber.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/d5-photon-170-reservoir-pump-combo.html

I want to show it off. So I'll see what I can work with.

It matches my GPU and CPU blocks, all by XSPC, all with matching lighting.

So it would be a shame if I had to hide it away.

---

I should have thought of this before. I'm sure I could fit two vertically. Would help hide my mess of tubes. Ended up putting a 360 rad and pump/res in the back. Really slick sticking it out the top on that white build. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 4/5/2017 at 10:07 AM, PrimeSonic said:

Well yes, of course.

But I didn't purchase a pretty looking res with lighting just to hide it in the rear chamber.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/d5-photon-170-reservoir-pump-combo.html

I want to show it off. So I'll see what I can work with.

It matches my GPU and CPU blocks, all by XSPC, all with matching lighting.

So it would be a shame if I had to hide it away.

If you have the room you could mount the res/pump horizontal at the bottom of the case and take the HDD sleds to the back side. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

If you have the room you could mount the res/pump horizontal at the bottom of the case and take the HDD sleds to the back side. 

I already cut off the drive sled rails entirely to make a flat surface for the pump to sit on.

So there's not much more room to make unless I cut out the bottom entirely. :P

IMG_20170325_121403451s.thumb.jpg.19803f66e5ce50b4acd8ad78c4430d51.jpg

---

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 2:24 PM, PrimeSonic said:

I already cut off the drive sled rails entirely to make a flat surface for the pump to sit on.

So there's not much more room to make unless I cut out the bottom entirely. :P

IMG_20170325_121403451s.thumb.jpg.19803f66e5ce50b4acd8ad78c4430d51.jpg

you could put the res on the other side of the case, thats where i'll be putting mine, I'm getting a bay res