Phone's Internal Storage Running Out - Cannot Move to SD Card

sorasmemories

I have a Samsung Galaxy On5, which only comes with 8 GB of internal storage. My phone updated yesterday, and now it is so low on internal storage that I can't open the gallery (189MB left). It's displaying the "storage space running out - some functions may not work" message, so who knows what other internal apps aren't working, besides the gallery. Of course I have an SD card, but apps have to be installed internally first before they can be moved, same goes with updates... and, of course, not all apps can be moved.

I'm trying to figure out how to clear up some storage, otherwise I can't use my phone properly. Literally, I have two pictures saved on this phone, which are for my backgrounds. I've cleared cache, deleted audio files that I wasn't using... Unfortunately, all of the apps that I can move, I already have. It seems that most of the used up internal storage are either apps that the phone came with - that I don't use - or mandatory system files.

I'm really frustrated right now because I know this issue will only get worse and, right now, I can't update any apps, nor install any, since I have no storage space left. Then, of course, I worry that internal apps will cease to work... Ugh.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue.

reformat and root from the beginning delete unused system apps and use link to sd card

thats what i do

to root use kingroot and now that i think you can root from pc without reformat and from there you can delete system apps and then you can download the link to sd card from play store

For pre-installed apps you can't remove, you can still "disable" them which will remove any updates that might have been applied afterwards, and could free you some space that way.

Other than that, deleting cache, music, photos etc may help. If you play mobile games, be aware some download additional data over time and they can bloat as past events expire but their data isn't removed. Uninstalling then reinstalling them can reduce the space used, after making sure you have synced your save so you don't lose progress.

What version of Android does that phone use? If it is new enough, I think 7 does it, not sure about 6, you might be able to use a sufficiently fast SD as adopted storage which makes it behave seamlessly as if it were an extension of the internal storage. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 minutes ago, porina said:

What version of Android does that phone use? If it is new enough, I think 7 does it, not sure about 6, you might be able to use a sufficiently fast SD as adopted storage which makes it behave seamlessly as if it were an extension of the internal storage. 

Version 6.

When I first added the SD card, I didn't get an option for that. So, I'm not sure if there is a workaround? If anyone knows a way that I can backup the SD card files onto my computer - so I don't lose my game(s) progress - turn the SD card into adopted storage, and then move the files back onto it... That would probably be the best way to go about this. Since I have no room on my internal storage, I can't move them there and then move them back. What a pain. Ugh.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135716-how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

According to link above Samsung may not allow that option. I have an S6 as work phone but that doesn't even have a SD slot so I can't check it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If you don't mind rooting your phone, you can easily uninstall unused system apps and move almost all your apps to your sd card, even google apps and system apps can be moved to sd card. For me this solves my problem of limited internal storage. rooting is fairly easy and there are many guides online. If you dont want to root your phone, as far as i know there's not much you can do, you just have to live with the limited storage.

Thank you for your replies everyone.

I'm concerned about rooting my phone since I've heard a lot of people talk about how system files became corrupt and it became useless as a result. If I could afford the risk, I would try it; but, I can't afford a new phone right now.

I actually looked through the phone and added up the MB of the apps I downloaded that cannot be moved to the SD card, and they don't even add up to half a GB - barely a quarter of a GB, in fact. So, it seems that apps the phone came with, and updates for those apps, are what is screwing me right now. Does anyone know guides or lists for apps that are safe to disable and remove updates for?

• 1 year later...

The On5 unfortunately has very limited internal storage making it difficult to do much using today's larger sized apps. Rooting the phone and using an app like "Root Essentials" to change your default setting to external SD card for running your apps is about your only real solution. Fortunately, with the correct information, this process is reletively straightforward. I've included a link that walks through the rooting process rather easily.  https://dottech.org/201275/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-on5-sm-g550t-on-android-6-0-1-with-supersu/

After you've rooted your On5 visit the Google playstore and download an app called "Root Essentials." Run the program and follow the directions in order to make your SD card the default location for loading and running your On5 applications. Root Essentials also provides the option for the user to "Adopt Storage," however, this process comes with many potential problems. Therefore use caution and research this option well before making the decision to use Adoptive Storage in the On5. 

(On5 FRP locked? Can't find the working solution for unlocking it anywhere? Did you know that there's actually a really simple way to do it even if USB debugging is not enabled on your device? You want to know what the solutiion is? PM me here and I just might be able to help you out.)