offsite storage

hellochicken

If i had files I wanted to acess in multiplle locations with different connections would a nas be good or a server with 10 tb of storage running freenas or an equivilent be better

What exactly are you trying to do? To be clear, you want file storage that you can chess from anywhere? Use something like freeNAS with nextcloud installed, or use a VPN. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

@bgibbz 

what i am trying to do is to buy or make a server that I connect to my network at location A and I want to be able to acces  the files on the server at loccation a in another location So i am looking for what to buy to accomplish this

thanks for the response

7 minutes ago, hellochicken said:

@bgibbz 

what i am trying to do is to buy or make a server that I connect to my network at location A and I want to be able to acces  the files on the server at loccation a in another location So i am looking for what to buy to accomplish this

thanks for the response

I would try to find some old server hardware on Craigslist or eBay. Assuming you run freeNAS, you won't need anything very powerful. Fill it up with drives and install freeNAS. 

as for how you access the data, there are different ways to go about doing this. You can use port forwarding plus a service called nextcloud to create your own personal "Dropbox" environment. There are some potential security concerns with this though, as you are essentially making your data accessible to the World Wide Web (although nextcloud has good security). Alternatively, you can setup a VPN to put yourself inside of the network. I have never actually done this, so I wouldn't be much help there. 

There is more information on both methods here -

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

@bgibbz

Ok What do you think would be good specs and do you think ethernet with 15 down and 3 up is fast enough, if not what is

P.s thanks for the response

7 minutes ago, hellochicken said:

@bgibbz

Ok What do you think would be good specs and do you think ethernet with 15 down and 3 up is fast enough, if not what is

P.s thanks for the response

Depends on what "fast enough" is. Assuming 15 down and 3 up is in Mbps,

it would take about 9 minutes to download a 1gb file and about 45 minutes to upload a 1gb file (excluding overhead). If you plan on accessing these files primarily from site B, why not put the server at site b?

@bgibbz

Site a or home in this case would be better as it allows a more stable point and point b has not been determined yet

and by fast enough i mean your personal preference on speed

thanks for the response

That would be fast enough for me, considering all I really work with is small word docs and such.