PG279Q concerns

pcbuilder9595

Last week I have purchased a PG279Q Asus monitor. It arrived with a higher amount of back-light bleed then what I was ready to accept. I have taken the monitor back to the store I purchased it of, and this morning they have received confirmation from the supplier that the monitor is valid for a swap. As the supplier does not have another PG279Q in stock, it might take some additional time for them to get me a new one, therefore the store offered me to take a different model instead. I have the following 2 main concerns:

1. If I swap for a new PG279Q i might get again another one with same or worse back-light bleeding issues.

2. I am having a very hard time finding any alternative candidates with the specifications that this monitor has. It has amazing colours as well as great gaming related specs.

pc specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GcnRM8

Any thoughts?

If they are willing to give you an in-store credit, you might want to check out BenQ's XL2730Z monitor, very close to the Asus PG279Q specs, and I never had a light bleeding issue on mine (I have the XL2430T, but they're pretty close)

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

The BenQ XL2730Z is a TN panel however, so it suffers from color shifting if viewing it off-center. With my experience on a 24" TN panel, you can notice this even if you're looking at it head on.

The "defect" with the PG279Q might've been from IPS glow rather than backlight bleed. However I'd argue that IPS glow (if minor) isn't really a concern unless you like to view content with the lights off and the content is predominantly dark.

This is not Back-light bleed?

example with lights turned on in the room:

20170212_100841096_i_OS.jpg

Example in the dark:

20170212_100611053_i_OS.jpg

Also, no matter what monitor I go to, I would like to at least stick to having IPS, a PPI of at least 100 and G-Sync. Im also not too crazy on giving up the refresh rates of 100+ which is a massive leap from the standard 60.

48 minutes ago, pcbuilder9595 said:

bump

Dude, chill. It's only been 3 hours.

That backlighting is quite bright compared to my own LG ultrawide, so if you think it will bother you; exchange for a different one. If it's a physical store you're purchasing from, try out their showroom monitors and find what suits you as we all have our own preferences :)

Shit...see this is why I am skeptical of getting a IPS high monitor, just for the backlight bleed!