Watercooling

Hi

Am "new" to watercooling but i have read up alot about it and am planing my Projekt

Am going to build a Computer desk and going to fit it with my Gaming rig and 2 servers(One Media server and One Plex server)

The Load on the servers arent that big but am thinking like this

Am going for 3 Radiators 360mm

1 Pump (600 L/h, 6W)

1 300mm * 50mm Tank

3 CPU Blocks

Am thinking 2 Radiators to the gaming rig and 1 radiator to the server CPU's

I know its not optimal but is it possible?

Here is how i think(Paint ftw :D:D)

https://www.pixeltopic.com/image/hgnhzwvbwjosza/

are you including the GPU from the gaming  rig in the loop?

Gonna need res, and a logical place to drain it

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

20 minutes ago, Viggeborn said:

Snip

There is no reason this wouldn't work, assuming your pump has the pressure to push all this fluid around through so many blocks and radiators. keep in mind that the side with 2 radiators on it is going to require more pressure than the side with 1 radiator, and with the way your setup is designed, the pressure is going to be cut in half (half to each run in the loop). Probably not going to be a big deal, but its something to keep in mind. To that end it would probably be more beneficial to run the whole setup in series, rather than splitting it in parallel like you have here.

So to answer your question, this setup should be very possible assuming you have a pump that can handle it.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

There is no reason this wouldn't work, assuming your pump has the pressure to push all this fluid around. keep in mind that the side with 2 radiators on it is going to require more pressure than the side with 1 radiator, and with the way your setup is designed, the pressure is going to be cut in half (half to each run in the loop). Probably not going to be a big deal, but its something to keep in mind. To that end it would probably be more beneficial to run the whole setup in series, rather than splitting it in parallel like you have here.

So to answer your question, this setup should be very possible assuming you have a pump that can handle it.

Ya i was thinking of doing it in series @ first but i was afraid that under load the gaming rig is going to heat up the server CPUs rather then Cooling them? or am i wrong

stealth80

No the GPU is not going in to the loop as of now. Its a future projekt :D

12 minutes ago, Viggeborn said:

Ya i was thinking of doing it in series @ first but i was afraid that under load the gaming rig is going to heat up the server CPUs rather then Cooling them? or am i wrong

Not exactly right... not exactly wrong...  the short answer is yes, that is a fair concern.

The longer answer is that the way custom loops work and with how much heat liquid water can retain before increasing its temperature, the liquid in a loop tends to all be about the same temperature (within a degree or two) of the liquid anywhere else in the loop (even immediately after soaking up heat from a block). You only need to concern yourself with it if your liquid is flowing abnormally slow, causing it to spend more time over its heated components at which point the effect of running several heat generating devices back to back in series, without a radiator to release that heat, will be noticeable. If you're worried about such a thing, You could always just put radiators between the devices in the series loop and you'll be totally fine (something like CPU-rad-CPU-rad-CPU-rad rather than CPU-CPU-CPU-rad-rad-rad).

Its also worth mentioning that you plan to want to have 1080mm worth of radiator space.... that is SEVERELY overkill for your described setup. Honestly, anything over 500mm for a gaming CPU and 2 low power alternative CPU's is going to yield extremely hard diminishing returns. a single 480, two 240's, or even a single 360 is probably all you need if you want to save a few bucks and ease the load on your pump a little. If you want the extra radiator space now because you're thinking of increasing the heat in the loop going forward by adding higher TDP CPU's in down the line, or throwing in additional things like more CPU's or GPU's or whatever the case may be... then it might be sensible. buuuut thats a ton of radiator space for not a ton of heat in your current setup.

23 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Not exactly right... not exactly wrong...  the short answer is yes, that is a fair concern.

The longer answer is that the way custom loops work and with how much heat liquid water can retain before increasing its temperature, the liquid in a loop tends to all be about the same temperature (within a degree or two) of the liquid anywhere else in the loop (even immediately after soaking up heat from a block). You only need to concern yourself with it if your liquid is flowing abnormally slow, causing it to spend more time over its heated components at which point the effect of running several heat generating devices back to back in series, without a radiator to release that heat, will be noticeable. If you're worried about such a thing, You could always just put radiators between the devices in the series loop and you'll be totally fine (something like CPU-rad-CPU-rad-CPU-rad rather than CPU-CPU-CPU-rad-rad-rad).

Its also worth mentioning that you plan to want to have 1080mm worth of radiator space.... that is SEVERELY overkill for your described setup. Honestly, anything over 500mm for a gaming CPU and 2 low power alternative CPU's is going to yield extremely hard diminishing returns. a single 480, two 240's, or even a single 360 is probably all you need if you want to save a few bucks and ease the load on your pump a little. If you want the extra radiator space now because you're thinking of increasing the heat in the loop going forward by adding higher TDP CPU's in down the line, or throwing in additional things like more CPU's or GPU's or whatever the case may be... then it might be sensible. buuuut thats a ton of radiator space for not a ton of heat in your current setup.

Tnx for the fast and awesome answers. the plan is to make the GPUs watercooled 2 but that is a future projekt. And thats going to be a second loop.

Added a new foto. You think that is "better" maybe still overkill but more for this setup.

Does it matter if you have RAD RAD CPU CPU CPU or CPU CPU CPU RAD RAD

Watercooling2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Viggeborn said:

Does it matter if you have RAD RAD CPU CPU CPU or CPU CPU CPU RAD RA

They're exactly the same thing.

26 minutes ago, Viggeborn said:

Added a new foto. You think that is "better" maybe still overkill but more for this setup.

I mean, more radiator space is always better... you can get more cooling at quieter noise levels.... but the difference between 480mm and 1080mm in a setup like this is probably going to only be about 5-ish degrees or something like that (that number is based on guesstimation, not actual math, but it should be around there). Its your money and if you think that you want 3x360 then go for it. I'm just saying with your pump that may not be ideal, and its certainly not necessary =)

For what its worth, all this money on a loop would probably be better spent on upgrading your actual hardware. Custom watercooling is fun and cool and all, but from a raw performance:dollar ratio, its one of the worst ways to spend your money on a system. Of course, if performance:dollar was the only thing we ever cared about, we wouldn't be enthusiasts xD

14 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I mean, more radiator space is always better... you can get more cooling at quieter noise levels.... but the difference between 480mm and 1080mm in a setup like this is probably going to only be about 5-ish degrees or something like that (that number is based on guesstimation, not actual math, but it should be around there). Its your money and if you think that you want 3x360 then go for it. I'm just saying with your pump that may not be ideal, and its certainly not necessary =)

For what its worth, all this money on a loop would probably be better spent on upgrading your actual hardware. Custom watercooling is fun and cool and all, but from a raw performance:dollar ratio, its one of the worst ways to spend your money on a system. Of course, if performance:dollar was the only thing we ever cared about, we wouldn't be enthusiasts xD

Haha, believe me. Has the thought of updating the system instead but still feel it works for what I use it for .. Will just change the video card in the near future.

But I completely understand that custom water cooling only is "waste of money" but I think they are cool and neat.

Then I will see my setup all the time in the computer table, I want it to be nice: D and overkill is neat: D

One more question. if i wanna make the loop with 2 pump does it work or take a stonger pump? 
What is a nice specc for 3 360 rads?

1 hour ago, Viggeborn said:

Haha, believe me. Has the thought of updating the system instead but still feel it works for what I use it for .. Will just change the video card in the near future.

But I completely understand that custom water cooling only is "waste of money" but I think they are cool and neat.

Then I will see my setup all the time in the computer table, I want it to be nice: D and overkill is neat: D

One more question. if i wanna make the loop with 2 pump does it work or take a stonger pump? 

A second pump is definitely possible but not required if one pump is strong enough.

2 pumps placed in series it will boost the head pressure significantly. It will add in some redundancy, if one pump fails you still have the liquid flowing through your loop.

Don't know what you mean with a nice specc for 3 360 rads. Sorry.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

41 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Don't know what you mean with a nice specc for 3 360 rads. Sorry.

If am not changing anything a will have 3 pieces of 360mm Radiators in the system + 3 CPU block and a Tank, Does someone know what specification of the Pump that is good for this setup. The pump on my mind is a 6W/600l/h pump. Is that good or do i need a more powerful pump

1 minute ago, Viggeborn said:

If am not changing anything a will have 3 pieces of 360mm Radiators in the system + 3 CPU block and a Tank, Does someone know what specification of the Pump that is good for this setup. The pump on my mind is a 6W/600l/h pump. Is that good or do i need a more powerful pump

I don't think that pump will be enough, mostly concerned about flow rate. I would rather look for a D5 pump which is rated at 23W/1500l/h. One of those will surely be enough for you.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

45 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

I don't think that pump will be enough, mostly concerned about flow rate. I would rather look for a D5 pump which is rated at 23W/1500l/h. One of those will surely be enough for you.

Tnx then i know :D 

7 hours ago, Viggeborn said:

2 or more pumps can work together, but it depends if you hook them up in series or parallel. If you hook up the pumps in series, you gain additional pressure, but no additional flow rate, and your pumps must be identical and be operating at identical speeds (otherwise they compete against one another and it causes stress on both pumps). Usually the way to hook up two pumps properly is to have 1 pipe coming in, split off into parallel runs for each pump, then converge back into a single line again after exiting each individual pump. This way you benefit from additional flow, pressure, and can mix/match pump types and speeds all you want.

If course with 2 pumps in your system you could also just run 2 separate loops out of one reservoir as you originally had in your original diagram, and use 1 pump for each loop.

That being said, as @Limecat86 just said, a pump like a D5 or DDC would be the way to go for you. a single, stronger pump is less complicated, less hassle, fewer points of failure, and probably the way you will want to go if you're considering buying any additional pumps for your system.

5 hours ago, Limecat86 said:

Flow rate isn't the issue he must worry about. Pressure is what he needs to worry about. They're somewhat related, but also not. But yes, I support your recommendation to have him get a high quality pump. 600L/H doesn't sound like its going to be an amazing pump even though we don't have the important stat listed.

5 hours ago, Viggeborn said:

In a system with multiple large radiators, cooling blocks, and other kinds of restrictive components like those, you want to look for a pump with high amounts of pressure, not high amounts of flow rate. Pressure is much more important in such a restrictive system, and determines how much of your flow you can maintain through resistance created by things like your radiators and cooling blocks. A D5 pump like this would be excellent for you:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

There is also the DDC style of pumps which tend to be a bit more powerful, but also noisier, so its up to you if you think that is a tradeoff you can live with. The D5 would be plenty for you though:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-acetal-incl-pump

Many companies sell their own variants of these pumps, so you by no means need to purchase from EKWB. You also don't need to buy either of these styles of pumps, but those are the kind of stats you should be looking at if you want to run a big loop with several long/thick radiators in it.

D5 pump everything in series with that amount of rads in the diagram looks fine.

Why run 2 servers when you can run 1 with VM's on it?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)