Custom Server Case Material

OK, so a bit of an explanation first. I'm holding off on starting a new build log about this until I have all the kinks ironed out first so this is a 'help me do my ironing' post.

I've decided to do my first ever fully custom case build. To make life even harder I thought it would be fun to try and produce as much as possible through laser cutting and 3D printing. Mostly because I want to learn about all of that side of things. Before you all go down the route of how expensive all the equipment is, remember I'm in my mid 30's and a teacher so have access to the schools relatively high end kit.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone have any experience with full cases build using Acrylic / Plastics and how did you find the experience, any hints / tips?

2. 3D printing components will be completely new to me, but I would like to do as much of this myself as possible, has anyone out there printed components for their cases and how did they find it? My major concerns are strength. I'm hoping to print bit's like a side panel mechanism, mountings, cable clips, etc.

Any advice would be great.

with acrylic cases make sure you have adequate cooling since you want to stay Edit I meant under 60 c or you can get some pretty bad warping. doing a wood case may be better if your laser cutter can do wood since it wouldn't warp but it also depends on the style your going for 

Thanks, I've always fancied a wood case, but for the server I'm kinda going for that slightly futuristic look. I'm building a fair amount of cooling into the design, as soon as I'm confident enough to put some render pics up I'll do so. 

Keep in mind the weld strength of the 3D printer's material. If you are subjecting it to a combination of heat and weight, material failure may be of concern as 3D printed parts are not necessarily known for their structural properties (especially concerning weight bearing qualities). Otherwise, this sounds like a cool project.

P.S. Make sure you can use the machines (especially the 3D printer due to material cost) and have permission to do so from the appropriate administration. 

1 hour ago, Qwweb said:

Keep in mind the weld strength of the 3D printer's material. If you are subjecting it to a combination of heat and weight, material failure may be of concern as 3D printed parts are not necessarily known for their structural properties (especially concerning weight bearing qualities). Otherwise, this sounds like a cool project.

P.S. Make sure you can use the machines (especially the 3D printer due to material cost) and have permission to do so from the appropriate administration. 

Thanks, those were some of my concerns regarding the 3D printed parts.

With regards to the kit, don't worry, all permission gained. The deal was two fold. Part 1 was allowing the school to use the case for open days (We are an international school) in exchange for the use of the equipment. The second was a deal where I let the HoS for DT borrow a Raspberry Pi from my kit (I'm HoS for Computer Science) to play with in exchange for free materials.

Thanks, i suspect it's going to take a while, but should be great fun to build!