Weird Situation. Advice?

Weapons_Grade_Autism

So I just sold both of my 980ti's because I wanted to sell them before they lost any more value. I got a solid price for them. My predicament is what do I do now? I have a 670 kicking around that I'm going to throw in my rig for the time being. Do I buy a 1080? Wait for the 1080ti? Splurge and buy a Titan Xp? Wait for vega? What do you guys think? My gut tells me to wait for Vega but I don't know if I can hold out that long.

Intel made no mention of a 1080ti

If you can wait, wait for Vega

Personally id go for the 1080. Super good GPU. 

6 minutes ago, Weapons_Grade_Autism said:

So I just sold both of my 980ti's because I wanted to sell them before they lost any more value. I got a solid price for them. My predicament is what do I do now? I have a 670 kicking around that I'm going to throw in my rig for the time being. Do I buy a 1080? Wait for the 1080ti? Splurge and buy a Titan Xp? Wait for vega? What do you guys think? My gut tells me to wait for Vega but I don't know if I can hold out that long.

Wait for Vega. If nothing else, things will be cheaper.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Vega is gonna be later, rumor mill says late May. 

Go for a 1080 maybe. 

idk

Wait for Vega/1080 Ti, else Titan XP.  1080 is a downgrade.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, Beck said:

Intel made no mention of a 1080ti

What?

16 minutes ago, Weapons_Grade_Autism said:

Just wait. 1080ti is rumored soon and so is Vega

Could grab one of those $133 Gigabyte RX 470's if the 670 isn't up to snuff.

No matter what your preference on brand is, Vega's launch will only benefit things by pressuring Nvidia to adjust prices.  Also the 1080ti is coming eventually/probably around the same time.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What?

Just wait. 1080ti is rumored soon and so is Vega

Vega is rumored for May. Thats a long time with a 670

10 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Wait for Vega/1080 Ti, else Titan XP.  1080 is a downgrade.

idk

4 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Could grab one of those $133 Gigabyte RX 470's if the 670 isn't up to snuff.

No matter what your preference on brand is, Vega's launch will only benefit things by pressuring Nvidia to adjust prices.  Also the 1080ti is coming eventually/probably around the same time.

Yea it doesn't matter either way. AMD or Nvidia. I hope vega is really really good. 

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Vega is rumored for May. Thats a long time with a 670

Do you think an rx480 would be a good buy for the mean time? I'm planning an HTPC build anyway. I could always throw it in there later.

5 minutes ago, Weapons_Grade_Autism said:

Do you think an rx480 would be a good buy for the mean time? I'm planning an HTPC build anyway. I could always throw it in there later.

its midrange and runs off 1x6 or 1x8pin

good for 1080p or 1440p high

good for htpc later, yeah.

idk

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

its midrange and runs off 1x6 or 1x8pin

good for 1080p or 1440p high

good for htpc later, yeah.

k, so I ended up going with the shorty 1060 3gb model. same price (200usd) as the rx480 4g and performs better. Also it gives me more small form factor future options for a HTPC. :D

I'd wait until i get to know more if rumors are worth a damn. 

1080Ti is rumored to exist, Vega is rumored to launch on may. If you don't mind loosing a few $, you can buy 1080 now, sell when you actually buy something better. 

Else, you can hold your breath until Vega and 1080Ti launch and see how much are they really worth. 

My personal "No-Go" is investing on Titan X now.

Why i would not buy 

1080Ti will be very close performance wise. As always was with past 3 gen of Titans. 

The Titan cards make sense to buy on day one, when you know you will have the absolute best for at least one year until the "close enough" alternative is out. Titan XP price will be too spicy to justify with a 1080Ti on the market, reselling price will be relatively lower than a 1080. (My assumption is 1080Ti price will be between 1080 and Titan XP, making no impact on 1080 pricing whatsoever... i could be totally wrong tho). 

11 hours ago, Weapons_Grade_Autism said:

k, so I ended up going with the shorty 1060 3gb model. same price (200usd) as the rx480 4g and performs better. Also it gives me more small form factor future options for a HTPC. :D

the 1060 3GB doesn't outperform the 480 4GB, it loses by about 5-10%