4K Samsung SmartTV for 300?

QuantumBit

Hi, I recently went to Costco and I saw this 4K Samsung smart TV (40") for around $300, and I was wondering if this is normal? Should I get it?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

i generally advice against smart tv's. especially when they are cheap. the support for it will be atrocious in half a year. you should read reviews about the actual tv though. 4k.com is pretty good i think.

10 minutes ago, tlink said:

i generally advice against smart tv's. especially when they are cheap. the support for it will be atrocious in half a year. you should read reviews about the actual tv though. 4k.com is pretty good i think.

Hmm what do you mean about the support?

Also I can't seem to find it (Samsung UN40KU629020S) 

also obvious question but if I make a 4K Netflix PC with Kaby Lake, I could connect that to the tv and boom 4k Netflix right?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

46 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Hmm what do you mean about the support?

Also I can't seem to find it (Samsung UN40KU629020S) 

also obvious question but if I make a 4K Netflix PC with Kaby Lake, I could connect that to the tv and boom 4k Netflix right?

well smart tv generally means something that can connect to the internet and access content providers via that, often those apps are not updated anymore after some time and when the content provider changes their service or something like that, the app is pretty much useless. they also have a pretty good chance of becomming an attack vector for hackers. imagine ransomeware on your tv and stuff like that. its better to have like you said a dedicated media pc or tablet or something that you can replace and update yourself instead of being completely dependand on the manufacturers updating, because we all know how well they do that on android phones. and yea kaby lake supports 4k netflix's DRM. you still need 4k able cables and output though.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

well smart tv generally means something that can connect to the internet and access content providers via that, often those apps are not updated anymore after some time and when the content provider changes their service or something like that, the app is pretty much useless. they also have a pretty good chance of becomming an attack vector for hackers. imagine ransomeware on your tv and stuff like that. its better to have like you said a dedicated media pc or tablet or something that you can replace and update yourself instead of being completely dependand on the manufacturers updating, because we all know how well they do that on android phones. and yea kaby lake supports 4k netflix's DRM. you still need 4k able cables and output though.

So there's isn't a point in getting it for 4K netflix streaming if the HDMI ports could only handle 4K @ 30Hz? So basically the only point in getting it would be for playing 4K movies and maybe possible future uses?

EDIT: I just checked that HDMI 2.0 cables are a thing. So will a hdmi 2.0 cable still give me 4K @ 60Hz even though the port isn't HDMI 2.0 (I'm assuming it isn't at least)

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W