Curved Monitor vs Curved TV???

TwitchAGA

Hi!  

I am wanting to invest in a curved display however looking at the price difference in a monitor vs tv got me wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are....

For example the LG 38" 1080p curved monitor is $1500 vs a Samsung curved 65" 4K TV for the same price of $1500.  Why are the monitors so much more expensive than the TVs?

Why would I benefit getting the monitor vs the tv?

The monitor has less filtering and the picture gets displayed faster then the average tv, but a tv on game mode can work as fast as the average monitor.

TV's actual screen refresh rate is 60 Hz. The higher Hz are numbers that come from software trickery. For TV fine, but it's not the same as an actual 120 Hz screen for example if it has 120 or 240HZ.

Another thing is connection: you are limited to HDMI. If you would go for 4k as example you need atleast HDMI 2.0 connectors on the tv. Many of the bit older models have 1.4. But that delivers only 30Hz, what is unwanted for PC gaming (so take note of this when checking specs if you look for a 4k screen).

The biggest issue for TV's are the relative high input lag. This is in general doable, but for FPS games it is a drawback in competition.

But a good TV screen has good colors and a nice image. So if the input lag is not to shabby you can play fine on it with many games and because of the size (assuming the distance isn't to far) it can be very immersive to play. I myself value this very high and since I am not a competitive FPS player I game on a TV for years with much pleassure (also because of my home theatre btw). Games like Witcher, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect and WOW are a good examples making it a nice experience on a big screen where I have no issues. Even for the FPS games I play on LANparties I can still be competitive enough, so it's not that it is unplayable.

Distance is for 4k and curved very important. But if done right it can be good to do for PC gaming and if you can sit at the sweetspot a curve has it's use. But I personally preffer flat.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list