FANS

MorganO
3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Higher rpm/performance fans will pull in more air. That being said, this is still guesswork when it comes to figuring out how to reduce dust buildup. 

If you're having dust problems and don't want to lower the rear fan speed for some reason, you should first get some incense sticks to find out where unfiltered air is coming in from before decide on replacing fans. 

You should also check around the front panel since I remember from working with the case that there may have been an unfiltered gap at the top depending on which side the fans are mounted on the case.

Its not a case of not wanting to its just hard to do so becuase i either run my radiator as slow as they go, and my case fans run as fast as they go, or vice versa

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Its not a case of not wanting to its just hard to do so becuase i either run my radiator as slow as they go, and my case fans run as fast as they go, or vice versa

Your motherboard sys_fan headers supply a 5v signal which is effectively ~40% if you plug your rear fan into one.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your motherboard sys_fan headers supply a 5v signal which is effectively ~40% if you plug your rear fan into one.

All the it says on the motherboard is CHA_FANX

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

All the it says on the motherboard is CHA_FANX

Yeah, I was referring to the cha_fan headers. Different motherboards use either sys_fan or cha_fan for what is supposed to be case fan headers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, I was referring to the cha_fan headers. Different motherboards use either sys_fan or cha_fan for what is supposed to be case fan headers.

the fan hub(connecting case fans) is going into CHA_FAN3 , i since i have no control over the speed the fans run at then in theory 3 fast fans vs 3 slow fans would create positive pressure?

the fan hub(connecting case fans) is going into CHA_FAN3 , i since i have no control over the speed the fans run at then in theory 3 fast fans vs 3 slow fans would create positive pressure?

I'm not sure which fans you're referring to. 

It's also unclear whether positive airflow is the solution to your issue in the first place.

As I mentioned earlier, you should check to see if there's an unfiltered gap behind the front panel above the dust filter.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure which fans you're referring to. 

It's also unclear whether positive airflow is the solution to your issue in the first place.

As I mentioned earlier, you should check to see if there's an unfiltered gap behind the front panel above the dust filter.

the only place that is actively pulling air in is the front intake which is filtered(phanteks enthoo evolve)

where the front io i belive air is coming out, i cant see how the fans are pulling air in without going through filter 

also my fans supply 0 active airflow to the basement of my case

the only place that is actively pulling air in is the front intake which is filtered(phanteks enthoo evolve)

where the front io i belive air is coming out, i cant see how the fans are pulling air in without going through filter 

Alright. In either case, you should try plugging the rear fan into a cha_fan header to run it at 40%. There's already plenty of exhaust at the top and having a rear exhaust just helps to keep unfiltered air from coming in through the rear.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Alright. In either case, you should try plugging the rear fan into a cha_fan header to run it at 40%. There's already plenty of exhaust at the top and having a rear exhaust just helps to keep unfiltered air from coming in through the rear.

but i cant set the fan speeds they just run at 12XXRPM

100% fan speed set in ai suite

unknown.png

40% fan speed

unknown (1).png

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

but i cant set the fan speeds they just run at 12XXRPM

100% fan speed set in ai suite

40% fan speed

Do not connect your rear fan to the hub.

The cha_fan headers do not provide a pwm signal and there's no point plugging your hub into one.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Do not connect your rear fan to the hub.

The cha_fan headers do not provide a pwm signal and there's no point plugging your hub into one.

the hub just helps with cable management (in my use case) 

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

the hub just helps with cable management (in my use case) 

It also runs all fans connected to it at 100% if you don't plug it into a pwm header like cpu_fan.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It also runs all fans connected to it at 100% if you don't plug it into a pwm header like cpu_fan.

ok, i have connected rear fan to CHA_FAN2 AND it now runs at 560rpm

under CHA_FAN3 it shows 0 RPM 

so i've managed to fiddle with the fans and reduce the speed of the rear fan etc, but failing this, should i go down the 3 intake route?unknown.png

41 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

so i've managed to fiddle with the fans and reduce the speed of the rear fan etc, but failing this, should i go down the 3 intake route?

I don't know why you're so adamant about going to 120mm's. There isn't that much of a difference between 3x120mm's and 2x140mm's. 

What you're looking for is dust build-up.. which takes a while.

If you want to find out how your airflow is now, get some incense and use it near the case to see if there are unfiltered areas where the smoke is being pulled in.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I don't know why you're so adamant about going to 120mm's. There isn't that much of a difference between 3x120mm's and 2x140mm's. 

What you're looking for is dust build-up.. which takes a while.

If you want to find out how your airflow is now, get some incense and use it near the case to see if there are unfiltered areas where the smoke is being pulled in.

In a couple days the psu shroud has dust on it, so I rebuilt my pc into the case and two days later it's dusty 

19 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

In a couple days the psu shroud has dust on it, so I rebuilt my pc into the case and two days later it's dusty 

If you want to figure out where the dust is coming in from, you should get some incense to test where air is leaking in.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want to figure out where the dust is coming in from, you should get some incense to test where air is leaking in.

I will try that