Code 97 bootloop - no post no matter what I try

Peakfire
Go to solution Solved by Peakfire,

I got my motherboard back 31st of March after RMA. It came with BIOS version F21, I updated it to F22, no issues. After I had shipped the motherboard, Gigabyte told me that I could try different GPUs, which might have got it to work. So for those of you who have the same problem try that out first. They also told me that this problem had been fixed in the next version (F21), which was released just 5 days after my motherboard broke.

The shop said that the supplier had no other Z170X-UD3 available so they had to send it abroad, which is why it took so long. Normally it wouldn't take more than 10 days.

Today I updated my BIOS version to F20, everything was fine. Then I went to the BIOS to enable Secure Boot.

After restarting, the motherboard doesn't post, the screen doesn't light up at all, and therefore I can't enter the BIOS. I can see in the debug LED that it goes through a bunch of codes and stops at code 97. Though I have tried everything. I don't have a case speaker.

What I've tried:

Clearing CMOS both through battery and jumper.

Booting with iGPU, CPU and 1 stick of RAM only, with the monitor plugged in the motherboard.

Tried all sticks of ram on all slots 1 at a time separately.

Checked all power cables, unplugged and replugged them.

Different monitor with a different HDMI cable.

Booting without CMOS battery at all.

I also cleared the CMOS after every step I did.

Specs:

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3

I5 6600K

2X4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury Black

XFX R9 270

XFX TS 450

WD Caviar Blue 1TB

any help would be appreciated.

just a couple of questions : 

Do you have multiple Hard-Drives ?

have you got a Different GPU to test with?

Did you test igpu with the normal GPU unplugged ?

I think this "may" be your PSU no longer being able to handle everything.

Edited by Hayabusa1989
Forgot to add the PSU Part

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

1 minute ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

just a couple of questions : 

Do you have multiple Hard-Drives ?

have you got a Different GPU to test with?

Did you test igpu with the normal GPU unplugged ?

I only have one hard drive, which I tried unplugging.

I don't have a different GPU, but yes I tested the igpu with the GPU unplugged, same problem.

18 minutes ago, Peakfire said:

I only have one hard drive, which I tried unplugging.

I don't have a different GPU, but yes I tested the igpu with the GPU unplugged, same problem.

When you say "unplugged", you mean "removed from the computer completely"... right?

Code 97 (according to the internets) is a video device problem. So, I'd try reseating your video card, or buying a $10 video card on amazon and trying that, or walking into your local computer recycling place and picking up the cheapest card there.

Also, try different PCIe slots. 

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

When you say "unplugged", you mean "removed from the computer completely"... right?

Code 97 (according to the internets) is a video device problem. So, I'd try reseating your video card, or buying a $10 video card on amazon and trying that, or walking into your local computer recycling place and picking up the cheapest card there.

Also, try different PCIe slots. 

Yes I removed it from the PC completely. I reseated the GPU many times & tried a different slot as well. It was working fine before I enabled Secure Boot but now it doesn't even show the splash screen even when using the iGPU, so I don't think it's a GPU problem.

have you left the jumper in the wrong position ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Chicken Nuggets

44 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

have you left the jumper in the wrong position ?

No I took the jumper out every time before I attempted to turn the PC on.

43 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

His didn't work from the get-go, but he was able to boot from the iGPU. Mine stopped booting no matter what when I enabled secure boot.

Anyway I opened a support ticket with Gigabyte so I'll get to the bottom of this (which will probably end up with me RMAing the motherboard). I'll also take the PC to the local repair store just in case I'm missing something, which I doubt.

Gigabyte told me that other people with the Z170X-UD3 have the same problem. The only option is to RMA the motherboard.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 10:19 PM, Oubadah said:

Did you get the board replaced, and if so, have you tried enabling SecureBoot with any post-F20 BIOS?

This just happened to me on a Z170X Designare.

I've sent it back, but I'm still waiting for a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

On my z170x gaming 5 v1.1 Count me in on an affected had secure boot working just fine then wham did a CMOS reset to clear some settings ,and now I have the same boot loop 97 code .I have tried everything out there to fix it. I think it's crap how long it takes gigabyte to do there support. I will just have to buy another board. Can't take waiting over a week to even get an RMA started then even longer after that. Gigabyte never again for me there support had been the slowest I have ever delt with 

On 3/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, Peakfire said:

I've sent it back, but I'm still waiting for a replacement.

Just wondering how the gigabyte RMA has gone

• 2 weeks later...

I got my motherboard back 31st of March after RMA. It came with BIOS version F21, I updated it to F22, no issues. After I had shipped the motherboard, Gigabyte told me that I could try different GPUs, which might have got it to work. So for those of you who have the same problem try that out first. They also told me that this problem had been fixed in the next version (F21), which was released just 5 days after my motherboard broke.

The shop said that the supplier had no other Z170X-UD3 available so they had to send it abroad, which is why it took so long. Normally it wouldn't take more than 10 days.