be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 3 clearance question.

Thisunami

If you were to use this cooler with a Z170 board (the Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha specifically) and did not use the front 120mm fan from what I can see in pictures the heatsink would take up the first DIMM slot but then the other 3 would be unrestricted. I wanted to see if anyone else could speculate or preferably confirm this idea. It's between the Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 for another build im doing and I know the Dark Rock 3 fan sits in the first DIMM but then the other 3 are free. I was planning on using Corsair LED ram. I thought maybe i could use the bigger cooler for potentially better cooling due to the significant increase in surface area. 

CPU: Delided Intel Core i7-6700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (3600/15-15-15-35) |GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG | Primary SSD: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB (OS/Games/Programs) / Seagate 5 TB External Hard Drive (Media) | PSU: SeaSonic Prime 650W | Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 + 4x Corsair ML140 Pro LED Red + 1x Corsair ML120 Pro LED Red

17 minutes ago, Thisunami said:

If you were to use this cooler with a Z170 board (the Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha specifically) and did not use the front 120mm fan from what I can see in pictures the heatsink would take up the first DIMM slot but then the other 3 would be unrestricted. I wanted to see if anyone else could speculate or preferably confirm this idea. It's between the Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 for another build im doing and I know the Dark Rock 3 fan sits in the first DIMM but then the other 3 are free. I was planning on using Corsair LED ram. I thought maybe i could use the bigger cooler for potentially better cooling due to the significant increase in surface area. 

it will block the dimm closest to the cpu (if the fan is installed there) I have corsair dom plats on a am3+ board, and it doesnt fit. Shorter ram will fit, just not tall ones

On 12/9/2016 at 1:55 AM, Bajantechnician said:

it will block the dimm closest to the cpu (if the fan is installed there) I have corsair dom plats on a am3+ board, and it doesnt fit. Shorter ram will fit, just not tall ones

I'm talking about the Dark Rock Pro 3. with the 120mm fan on the front it hangs over ALL of the ram slots. I'm trying to figure out if you take the front 120mm fan off will the heat sink then hang over just the first slot allowing me to populate the 2nd slot. I know the 3rd and 4th will be free I'm just not sure about the second. If the 2nd slot is covered then ill have to go with the Dark Rock 3. That being the case I have 8 hours if I'm going to take advantage of their sale so I hope someone knows or ill just have to buy both and return the one i don't need lol

CPU: Delided Intel Core i7-6700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (3600/15-15-15-35) |GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG | Primary SSD: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB (OS/Games/Programs) / Seagate 5 TB External Hard Drive (Media) | PSU: SeaSonic Prime 650W | Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 + 4x Corsair ML140 Pro LED Red + 1x Corsair ML120 Pro LED Red

It seems like the heatsink itself will block slightly more than one slot on some boards. http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler/6/

I'd suggest playing it safe and getting another cooler if you want to use tall ram.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, Thisunami said:

I'm talking about the Dark Rock Pro 3. with the 120mm fan on the front it hangs over ALL of the ram slots. I'm trying to figure out if you take the front 120mm fan off will the heat sink then hang over just the first slot allowing me to populate the 2nd slot. I know the 3rd and 4th will be free I'm just not sure about the second. If the 2nd slot is covered then ill have to go with the Dark Rock 3. That being the case I have 8 hours if I'm going to take advantage of their sale so I hope someone knows or ill just have to buy both and return the one i don't need lol

Yes.

Dark rock pro 3, also what im talking about.

it covers one slot

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

I ended up getting both ill just return the Pro if I run into any issues. with one slot being covered I should be good. ill let you guys know when i get it in and get some close-up pictures.