Reactive Coolants

MrWhy

Just wondering if anyone knows any companies making a "Thermal Reactive" coolant. I'm thinking along the lines of a color change as the temp in your loop increases, I know it would be on the pricy side but I can't seem to find anything out side of reactive paints that they are using on cars. If anyone has a lead on something like that I'd love to hear about it!

Mayhems had a coolant a few years ago that they were working on, but seems like they put it on hold or cancelled it completely, haven't heard anything about it in a about a year.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

8 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Just wondering if anyone knows any companies making a "Thermal Reactive" coolant. I'm thinking along the lines of a color change as the temp in your loop increases, I know it would be on the pricy side but I can't seem to find anything out side of reactive paints that they are using on cars. If anyone has a lead on something like that I'd love to hear about it!

It's not something iv'e heard of or come across and I suspect it wouldn't be possible due to the chemicals breaking up. They can't even get pastel coloured coolants to maintain their colour

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

It's not something iv'e heard of or come across and I wouldnt suspect it wouldn't be possible due to the chemicals breaking up. They can't even get pastel coloured coolants to maintain their colour

With pastel, if you use good WC parts, keep the PH levels stable and run the system regularly, there won't be any issues.

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

2 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

With pastel, if you use good WC parts, keep the PH levels stable and run the system regularly, there won't be any issues.

Thats what I was going to say. This type of coolant shouldn't really be all that difficult to create. I think if there are any barries it would be in the cost to produce. Thermodynamic paints are excessivly expensive just for that reason. I was prepared to pay the premium but thats assuming I can find it being made somewhere and in decent colors haha.

7 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

Well me and Jay2cents have had issues for a while, namely with red (me) and yellow for him. Using EKWB blocks and XSPC radiator + Mayhems Havoc. The red has lost it's colour again, for the 3rd time. The white loop has zero issues

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

59 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Well me and Jay2cents have had issues for a while, namely with red (me) and yellow for him. Using EKWB blocks and XSPC radiator + Mayhems Havoc. The red has lost it's colour again, for the 3rd time. The white loop has zero issues

Jay then worked with Mayhems (after the huge bust up) and Mayhems identified the issue and fixed it. It wasn't a common issue but it's now fixed with the latest batch of the coolant.

Addon Customs -

1 minute ago, AddonCustoms said:

Jay then worked with Mayhems (after the huge bust up) and Mayhems identified the issue and fixed it. It wasn't a common issue but it's now fixed with the latest batch of the coolant.

What was the issue? Im going to reflush my rig next month and replace the coolant. I aint in a flame war or anything like that, I have used Mayhems since I started water cooling and they were kind enough to sponsor my Rig with radiators and coolant, so I don't have a bad word to say about them, I just want it to look a nice red lol 

Ryzen Ram Guide

16 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

What was the issue? Im going to reflush my rig next month and replace the coolant. I aint in a flame war or anything like that, I have used Mayhems since I started water cooling and they were kind enough to sponsor my Rig with radiators and coolant, so I don't have a bad word to say about them, I just want it to look a nice red lol 

I have no idea. I am friends with the owner of mayhems and he posted on his facebook that he had sorted out that issue and that he was working on all new batches to send to suppliers, this was about 3 months ago so stores should have the latest version.

Addon Customs -

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

It's not something iv'e heard of or come across and I suspect it wouldn't be possible due to the chemicals breaking up. They can't even get pastel coloured coolants to maintain their colour

Pastel as mentioned can sometimes be a trick but you can run it for long term, I'm running past 18 months on my original white pastel, it has a slight tinge of green from what I assume is copper oxides as my rads are all copper but the PH of the fluids are still acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Pastel as mentioned can sometimes be a trick but you can run it for long term, I'm running past 18 months on my original white pastel, it has a slight tinge of green from what I assume is copper oxides as my rads are all copper but the PH of the fluids are still acceptable. 

Ye as I said, it just seems to be certain colours, name yellow and red to my knowledge. I run 2x loops a pastel white (not colour distortion at all) and a red. The red loop is my cpu/chipset loop which used to have the 240mm rad on aswell as the 360mm. The red seperated. When I SLI'd my 970's i moved the 240mm rad over the GPU loop to help shift some of the extra heat, leaving a mayhems 360mm havoc on the CPU/chipset loop. The red still lost it's colour and the white still holds it's colour. Its a little while since I swapped out the coolant now, probably around 6 - 8 months. I did make a thread back then ill see if i can dig it out

Ryzen Ram Guide

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

you were actually quite active in this thread, since then i have replaced all the flexible tubing and replaced with PETG Rigid tubing, so the flex tubing or the XSPC rad didnt cause it. Hopefully the new coolants are fixed

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Ye as I said, it just seems to be certain colours, name yellow and red to my knowledge. I run 2x loops a pastel white (not colour distortion at all) and a red. The red loop is my cpu/chipset loop which used to have the 240mm rad on aswell as the 360mm. The red seperated. When I SLI'd my 970's i moved the 240mm rad over the GPU loop to help shift some of the extra heat, leaving a mayhems 360mm havoc on the CPU/chipset loop. The red still lost it's colour and the white still holds it's colour. Its a little while since I swapped out the coolant now, probably around 6 - 8 months. I did make a thread back then ill see if i can dig it out

Yeah I would check the PH to see if they change from original but I know Mayhems last time mentioned they were working to resolve most of that. Oh ok I remember that, now, yeah there are certain colors that do tend to have more issues than others.