Internal 3.5" HDD to Laptop connection

dudo626

Hello.

I have a rather specific question. I have an HDD along with the power supply from my old PC that I have taken with me when I was moving, and none of other components(don't ask why, it's a long story). HDD uses SATA connection.

Today I ordered a Laptop to which I would then want to connect that HDD via USB if possible. Now, I know 3.5" drives need 12V that USB dosn't provide, so is it possible to utilise the PSU to actually make it work, and is there an actual SATA to USB cable that I could buy?

there are "docking stations" for 3.5" drives which come with internal power supplies, check on your preferred web store/local store

(or you could use a standard sata to usb cable and a power connector from the psu)

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

Yes and yes. You should know that a powered 3.5" enclosure is no more expensive. So if you're looking for a permanent solution, you should just make an external drive out of the HDD. If instead you just want the data and need a cable for whenever you need to do this again, the that's possible too.  

This is just the cable: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Activity-Support-USB-DSC5/dp/B000HJ99DI

22 minutes ago, dudo626 said:

I have an HDD along with the power supply from my old PC is it possible to utilise the PSU to actually make it work"

No, no, no! Please don't do that! You are liable to kill yourself and/or others! Never ever leave a bare PSU hooked to the mains outside of a PC case in a domestic setting.

If I understand correctly, you want to hook the PSU to the mains, use a Molex (SATA) power cable to attach it to the bare HDD, then connect the SATA data cable to the HDD & the new PC (via e-sata?). If so, its an accident waiting to happen. Apart from the exposed electric cables, and a tenuous SATA connection, you'll be wasting tons of electricity and it will be easy to break/sever the cables in an accident.

Just purchase a USB3 caddy (USB 2 will be fine too, if somewhat slower), and use that. You can get one for less than $20, it will be safe and you run less risk of burning down your house!

6 hours ago, Cryosec said:

there are "docking stations" for 3.5" drives which come with internal power supplies, check on your preferred web store/local store

(or you could use a standard sata to usb cable and a power connector from the psu)

Doesn't the PSU need like a feedback signal from the motherboard to actually turn on? That is the main reason why am I asking, since I was not sure about that. Otherwise a PC would instantly start up when connected to power...?

And yes, I wanted a just a temporary solution but seeing that the cable is not far from the enclosure itself by price, I'll just go down the safe route.

Thank you for your replies!

15 hours ago, dudo626 said:

~snip~

Hello :) Welcome to the community!

I'd recommend to use either a docking station, powered SATA to USB cable or a simple 3.5" external enclosure with external power in order to ensure proper power and stable connection of the drive to the drive and avoid connectivity and power issues. 

There are cases where people have used basic power supplies and managed to get their HDDs working but I would try to avoid this as you would risk the data integrity of the drive.

Let me know if you need any help! 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/