Bit8xPr0

Which cellphone should I buy?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cellphone should I buy?

• iPhone 7
    • One Plus 3
    • Moto X Pure
    • Other/ Please specify below.

My Nexus 5x isn't enough for my needs, ever since the Android 7 update my phone randomly disconnects from Wi-Fi and randomly restarts. I'm always at like 1.8 GB of RAM usage just by using basic apps like Snapchat and Facebook *I literally have not a game on my phone at the moment*. 

I was looking at the Moto X 2015 Pure Edition which uses the same processor as the Nexus 5X but with a larger display, sleeker design as well as a Solid 3GB of ram instead of the 5x's two. For a phone that came out in 2015 my Nexus 5x isn't snappy whatsoever. It's slow and I don't know if it's just Android and I should just make the switch to Apple or not.

I'm also looking at the One Plus 3, Solid specs, 6GB of overkill ram, 1080P 5.5" display for some odd reason??? Amoled at least right?. Still doesn't perform nearly as good as an iPhone but has a good Snapdragon Processor.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Updated to specify what the 1.8GB of usage was of. i.e. RAM

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Might I suggest the Axon 7 as well? I just got mine last week, works really well for a $400 price point. 64GB internal storage, dual sim/sd card, front facing speakers, decent battery, fingerprint reader, Snapdragon 820, USB C. Admittedly a skinned version of Marshmallow but it still feels very minimal (coming from a previous CyanogenMod user).

The OP3 looked good too but it didn't support Verizon so that wasn't an option for me. If price isn't as much of an issue then something like Google's new Pixel phone looks appealing as well.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

Might I suggest the Axon 7 as well? I just got mine last week, works really well for a $400 price point. 64GB internal storage, dual sim/sd card, front facing speakers, decent battery, fingerprint reader, Snapdragon 820, USB C. Admittedly a skinned version of Marshmallow but it still feels very minimal (coming from a previous CyanogenMod user).

The OP3 looked good too but it didn't support Verizon so that wasn't an option for me. If price isn't as much of an issue then something like Google's new Pixel phone looks appealing as well.

I've never heard of the Axon 7 honestly, I'm going to look it up after I'm finished typing and see what my thoughts on it are. As for the OnePlus 3 I would be using Straight Talk, I'm currently using Project Fi and their prices per GB of data is fucking ridiculous. Snapchat fucking consumes my data loading peoples stories.

I'm not sure if I want to go with a Google "branded" phone again, obviously Android is still very much Google but with the poor quality control of my Nexus 5X which I had RMA'd twice and having issues with my third and current one. Battery issues on the first and overheating issues on the second.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

1 minute ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

I've never heard of the Axon 7 honestly, I'm going to look it up after I'm finished typing and see what my thoughts on it are. As for the OnePlus 3 I would be using Straight Talk, I'm currently using Project Fi and their prices per GB of data is fucking ridiculous. Snapchat fucking consumes my data loading peoples stories.

I'm not sure if I want to go with a Google "branded" phone again, obviously Android is still very much Google but with the poor quality control of my Nexus 5X which I had RMA'd twice and having issues with my third and current one. Battery issues on the first and overheating issues on the second.

Worth noting that "Google" phones vary quite a bit since there's generally a new manufacturer (with the 5X being LG I believe) with every Nexus iteration. The Pixel appears to be pretty high quality, but of course that's your call in the end.

If you want some more info on the Axon 7 I'd check out Linus' video :) I'd also be happy to answer any questions since I have mine right next to me

1 minute ago, cdsboy2000 said:

<snip>

Wow, I just looked it up and it reminds me a lot of the HTC One and One M8. How's the update support? What's the word on getting Android Nougat as well as updates to the Custom Skin it has. No noticeable laggy performance on it's not stock? Any notable features similar to Motorolas wave gesture that wakes the display up? Finger print sensor is good to have since my current phone has one in the same position

6 minutes ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

Wow, I just looked it up and it reminds me a lot of the HTC One and One M8. How's the update support? What's the word on getting Android Nougat as well as updates to the Custom Skin it has. No noticeable laggy performance on it's not stock? Any notable features similar to Motorolas wave gesture that wakes the display up? Finger print sensor is good to have since my current phone has one in the same position

The google pixel is made by HTC so that might be where your reminder of the design might come from.

5 minutes ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

Not sure on updates since it's been on 6.0.1 ever since I got it a week ago, but I would suspect it would be in line with most other manufacturers (not a whole lot of phones are on 7.0 just yet). I haven't experienced any sort of lag, although the most I stress it is Spotify, Snapchat, and Messenger all working at the same time. 4GB RAM seems to be plenty for me. I haven't seen any wave to wake features but being able to turn it on/unlock with just the fingerprint reader is really fast and saves the step of having to enter a password since it bypasses the lockscreen entirely. 

6 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Not sure on updates since it's been on 6.0.1 ever since I got it a week ago, but I would suspect it would be in line with most other manufacturers (not a whole lot of phones are on 7.0 just yet). I haven't experienced any sort of lag, although the most I stress it is Spotify, Snapchat, and Messenger all working at the same time. 4GB RAM seems to be plenty for me. I haven't seen any wave to wake features but being able to turn it on/unlock with just the fingerprint reader is really fast and saves the step of having to enter a password since it bypasses the lockscreen entirely. 

I'll have to purchase one when they're available. Prices are above MSRP on Amazon and they seem back ordered on their website unfortunately :(

You are replacing a Nexus 5X, so you should stick with a budget android phone :p. And well, no phone other than pure android phones can even attempt to compete with Iphones in app launching speeds and system fluidity, yet alone the dreadful update system.

Groomlake Authority

On 10/18/2016 at 8:08 AM, VerticalDiscussions said:

You are replacing a Nexus 5X, so you should stick with a budget android phone :p. And well, no phone other than pure android phones can even attempt to compete with Iphones in app launching speeds and system fluidity, yet alone the dreadful update system.

Yeah true rip.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:41 PM, cdsboy2000 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I got mine yesterday and I'm pretty pleased. Earbuds don't fit my ears that well but they don't necessarily fall out, glad they included a screen protector even if it's hella scuffed up already.

If you're sticking with android and just want nothing but the most performance, then I recommend the oneplus 3. Another option is the Leeco Pro3 but I reckon it will be hard to get. Or if you want the best camera then go for the galaxy s7 or s7 edge.

The iPhone 7 is the best when it comes to performance and has a camera that rivals the s7's and s7 edge's, but you might not be familiar with iOS as it is nearly a completely different software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 4:15 PM, Bobbert said:

If you're sticking with android and just want nothing but the most performance, then I recommend the oneplus 3. Another option is the Leeco Pro3 but I reckon it will be hard to get. Or if you want the best camera then go for the galaxy s7 or s7 edge.

The iPhone 7 is the best when it comes to performance and has a camera that rivals the s7's and s7 edge's, but you might not be familiar with iOS as it is nearly a completely different software.

Thanks for the recommendation, already bought an Android phone but I'm familiar with iOS,