Motherboard for i5 6400

i5 6400 pair with rx470, one hard disk.

Problem is i dont really understand much difference between h110, h150, h170, (but i do know z170 is for OC). other than some things about limit of connections? (and number of RAM slots ofc)

another thing is i have an old PC with a dead motherboard (which also makes me wondering whether i should spend so much on mobo, because almost every pc i know dies by dead mobo),

so i have a 80gb hard disk and optical drive lying around which should still be in working condition, and if it fits the build i would just throw it in then. but i also have no idea whether it would fit or not since i dont understand much about the connections.

For 6400 go for H110 or B110 or B150.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

Well, you can use any single one of those chipsets you'd like with an i5-6400. Puget Systems has a really handy-dandy guide which can be found here. Refer to the consumer chipsets part of that guide. Also, the number of RAM slots is mostly limited by your motherboard's form factor, but you'll only be able to have one DIMM per channel.

Spending a lot on a motherboard is quite subjective. It really depends on what features you want. If you've got any use for PCIe-based storage, you're going to want to go with either H170 or Z170, for instance. In my experience, and I work at a tech repair shop, the motherboard doesn't go bad very often. When a computer dies, the large majority of times it's thanks to the hard drive.

About the connectors, your hard drive sounds pretty old. 80 GB is really very little and sounds like it could be an IDE drive. If you look at the side where there are connectors, are there a bunch of thin metal posts coming out of the drive, or are there two pieces of plastic with some little metal things? If it's the former, you're out of luck because no motherboard today supports that. Otherwise, you should be fine. Your optical drive is the same deal.

I hope this helps!

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

2 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

Also, the number of RAM slots is mostly limited by your motherboard's form factor, but you'll only be able to have one DIMM per channel.

If you have two slots, that would hold true, but if you have four slots, two DIMMs would use one channel. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

If you have two slots, that would hold true, but if you have four slots, two DIMMs would use one channel. 

Ah, sorry. You're right. I'm not that well-versed in RAM, but I'll keep that in mind in the future. Thanks!

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

9 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

Well, you can use any single one of those chipsets you'd like with an i5-6400. Puget Systems has a really handy-dandy guide which can be found here. Refer to the consumer chipsets part of that guide. Also, the number of RAM slots is mostly limited by your motherboard's form factor, but you'll only be able to have one DIMM per channel.

Spending a lot on a motherboard is quite subjective. It really depends on what features you want. If you've got any use for PCIe-based storage, you're going to want to go with either H170 or Z170, for instance. In my experience, and I work at a tech repair shop, the motherboard doesn't go bad very often. When a computer dies, the large majority of times it's thanks to the hard drive.

About the connectors, your hard drive sounds pretty old. 80 GB is really very little and sounds like it could be an IDE drive. If you look at the side where there are connectors, are there a bunch of thin metal posts coming out of the drive, or are there two pieces of plastic with some little metal things? If it's the former, you're out of luck because no motherboard today supports that. Otherwise, you should be fine. Your optical drive is the same deal.

I hope this helps!

Actually i realise i tried to read at the website before but it didn't really help as i didn't understand what most of the port means, i guess my knowledge in PC is still too low.

i think the optical drive and hard drive is too old... well its not that i really need them anyways....

i saw someone pairing i5 6400 with a MSI B150M Night Elf at where i live. is it good for its price or is there something better? well i did considered my gpu might need an upgrade in the future i might as well just crossfire another polaris card then, instead of switching it.

Just now, TheEndIsNear said:

Actually i realise i tried to read at the website before but it didn't really help as i didn't understand what most of the port means, i guess my knowledge in PC is still too low.

i think the optical drive and hard drive is too old... well its not that i really need them anyways....

i saw someone pairing i5 6400 with a MSI B150M Night Elf at where i live. is it good for its price or is there something better? well i did considered my gpu might need an upgrade in the future i might as well just crossfire another polaris card then, instead of switching it.

It does depend on what features you want. I'd look it up, maybe watch a review, take a look at the specs. It also depends on what case you plan to buy. For instance, the B150M Night Elf is Micro-ATX, so don't buy Mini-ITX cases because it will not fit. You could buy a full ATX case, but if it's got a window it may look odd because the motherboard wouldn't be taking up all the space it needs. Also, if you plan on using Crossfire in the future, don't go with a Mini-ITX motherboard because those only have one PCIe slot. You'll also want to go with Z170 or Q170, because, AFAIK, those are the only ones that support multiple cards. I could be wrong though, that was judging by the article on Puget Systems' website.

Spoiler

Go B150 if you don't need RAID, H170 if you do need RAID.