Cheap 4K UHD

Nuluvius

Intel ARK seems to suggest that even the lowest end sub £100 i3 is capable of 4K playback at 60Hz. I'm wondering if anyone has thus far put this to the test? Obviously this is hardware rendering as software rendering would greatly exceed the capacity of the chip. The other significant prerequisite is HDMI 2.0 which can currently be accomplished by DP => HDMI conversion in the absence of an adequately specced motherboard.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

4 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Intel ARK seems to suggest that even the lowest end sub £100 i3 is capable of 4K playback at 60Hz. I'm wondering if anyone has thus far put this to the test? Obviously this is hardware rendering as software rendering would greatly exceed the capacity of the chip. The other significant prerequisite is HDMI 2.0 which can currently be accomplished by DP => HDMI conversion in the absence of an adequately specced motherboard.

that's actually 5k (?)

4k is 3840x2160

it should support it but if you intend to game you will not be having fun

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

1 minute ago, 007agentHP said:

No that's not the intention. I'm considering a minimal HTPC spec that will adequately handle 4K.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

8 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

that's actually 5k (?)

4k is 3840x2160

DCI 4K is 4096x2160, don't confuse 4K with UHD.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

There is hardware decode support for 4Kp60 HEVC Main (8-bit). Main10 playback would have to be done using software (utilizing the GPU shaders for acceleration). GPU acceleration should do just fine for lower bitrate HEVC Main10, but I doubt it'd handle high bitrate Main10 well. 

If you want a low cost Main10 solution, consider the RX 460.

10 hours ago, Stagea said:

There is hardware decode support for 4Kp60 HEVC Main (8-bit). Main10 playback would have to be done using software (utilizing the GPU shaders for acceleration). GPU acceleration should do just fine for lower bitrate HEVC Main10, but I doubt it'd handle high bitrate Main10 well. 

If you want a low cost Main10 solution, consider the RX 460.

I had a suspicion so. What about the imminent Kaby Lake release?

18 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

I had a suspicion so. What about the imminent Kaby Lake release?

Kaby Lake is supposed to have it. I hope they also enable 10 bpc and 12 bpc on the desktop (Nvidia and AMD had supported this for quite some time). Intel's current windows drivers only support deep color for full screen DirectX applications.