Oculus Rift CV1 - Day 2 - What I think (inc videos & pictures)

Well 6 months later and my pre-order has finally arrived... Here's what I think (My system: i7 4970K @ 4Ghz GTX980 16GB DDR, SSD):

• Setup was easy - took me about 10 minutes
  • First experience of immersion was amazing

But it went down hill from there...

• I was expecting spare padding, alternative lenses and a cloth lens wipe, nope none of these.
  • Plastic battery divider which you pull from the oculus rift remote was wedged and I had to slide the back off

The screen and the screen door effect

Well the resolution stats sound ok, but they are not. I've watched so many reviews and everyone says it's barely noticeable, I don't know what planet they are on or how poor their eye sight is but it's noticable, very noticable. Unless you have constant movement either by your head or the image being rendered to the screens it will be in your face, literally. A nice lattice grid over everything. I'm sure they are using a Galaxy S5 screen (still DK2?) or other low res samsung screen (Samsung screens tend to have more of a diamond lattice I've noticed). 

ScreenPixels.jpg

Screen resolution

So, not happy with what I was seeing, I decided to run some tests myself. I cooked up a quick application with some 4K textures of lava and earth with normal maps etc, slapped them onto some spheres and confirmed very poor resolution, combined with interlace / alias effects which are present everywhere. There is no way you can get a decent / sharp image / texture at the resolution of these screens. If there was no screen door it would be acceptable.

Lens Smudge / Blur Glow / God Rays

I started noticing glows on text or bright objects on dark (not even completely black) backgrounds. So I jumped over to unity, cooked up a skybox of some space textures I had and stuck some 3D text in the view (white). Wow... I've not seen effects like that since the credits from Superman. 

OculusGlow.jpg

Field of view
It's like looking through a diving mask with more of your view blocked off. It really feels like I am looking through an diving mask / snorkeling mask, I forget about the screen door effect more than this.

WhatYouSeeInOculusRiftCV1.jpg

Tracking
Works fine, I have noticed a lot content doesn't pick up on leaning left or right. And doesn't take into account when your looking behind you that left and right are reversed. I have also noticed all HUD are rotated slightly on my rift (probably need to re-calibrate that some how). I have a few stutters / jumps when looking directly back (HTC Vive wont have this issue). I didn't expect the sensor to be so big. It's taller than my yetti mic, good solid build however.

Headset
Good build, light, really needs to be able to adjust eye width more without screwing up the vision portal your looking through. I am at max width. I have also found that if I pull the rift off my face some hwere around 1 to 3 cm things can look much better, it removes some of the smudge effect also (thinking about sticking something to the padding to do this). There is also light let in from the nose area (issue on both vive and rift), I also had to turn light of which is directly above me in the room as I could detect it in headset. Headphones were ok, but it only took me 10 minutes before I removed them and used my own.

Controller
I'm no xbox fan or user but I'm sure the new xbox controller had modular components etc? This is just the same as my old £5 xbox pc controller just wireless.

360 Video
Resolution is so low that I think VHS would be 4K compared to this. No, just no.

360 Photographs
The supplied free images were cool but very low file size and quality. So found 60 panoramic high resolution images some as big as 20mega pixel. I didn't notice any quality improvement at all. You always get a feeling like your about 30ft off the floor, it scared the s**t out of my mother. So yes and no, light pictures with no bright and dark contrast worked well eg above the cloud line, egypt, rome, beaches etc.

Virtual Desktop (steam app)
Screen resolution makes things quite hard to read, usable but not practical at the moment. The application however has some nice features and some things that just don't work at all. Screen size (yes), screen distance (no - seen this just moving the screen a very small amount in a diagonal direction - guess the dev cant work out the normal from the camera normal and then add and offset the two). Tested youtube world of warcraft 360 video and the starwars one, both worked, let down by the resolution, no screen door or glows noticed. 360 image viewer views images differently to the Oculus home software also couldn't handle certain image (I think due to size) and threw an unknown parameter error but worked for the most part. I added 60, I could select all but couldn't delete all after grrr.

Elite Dangerous
God rays, poor text readability but still quite immersive. Can struggle and stutter if you don't lower your quality settings enough.

Project Cars
Complete rubbish, I played with the settings in game and in the SDK tool and never got anything I felt comfortable with. Environment flickering, render distances were poor and have to reset rift position each time the game starts. But I've come to expect this from these guys. So if you have a 980, i7 @4970k @4Ghz with 16GB DDR3, crank everything down to low, aliasing, bloom etc off and make sure you map easy to access controls / keys so you can change camera view and reset the head set position when needed. Shame there is no image quality or resolution quality on any VR at the moment as views in the distance are just a smeering of pixels and screen door. And the HUD, WTF they thinking. I'm sure some developer spent about 5 minutes whom couldn't give 1 f*** about the task... However there is another, "Assetto Corsa".

Assetto Corsa
Spent some time configuring this (much less than with project cars) but I found I could leave so much more on. The game has the same if not better graphics than project cars. So I broke out the ThrustMaster T500 wheel and pedals, got setup and nice, Very nice. Better sitting location, can lean and look around car. Can actually read the dials (unlike project cars). Dust and god rays on the windows. And crashing has me cringing in my seat. By far the best VR experience I've had yet, 2nd was the setup demo of the Dino and the Alien. You can't get passed the limitations of the resolution (detail pixel blur - which is in all tings) but I totally forgot about the screen door effect in Assetto Corsa. And having your arms and hands in the same position in the game as they are on the steering wheel is awesome. I crashed once and felt like I was still moving forward! Got me a bit weezy that did.

Motion Sickness
I've had a bad stomach for the past 2 days since the rift has arrived, is VR the cause? or was it the potato salad I ate? I've spent close to 6 hours each day in it so far and that's not counting development time.

If I were to rate what I have talked about:
10/10 Build quality and comfort
10/10 Weight
8/10 Tracking
8/10 Lens gap adjustment
0/10 No adjustment for lens to eye distance adjustment
10/10 Having headphones and allowing them to be detached
0/10 Not blocking external light from nose and upper padding areas
0/10 Screen resolution and thus screen door effect
0/10 Lens smear/blur/glow
2/10 Diving Mask field of view

48 out of 100 (4.8/10)

Issues in order of severity:
1. Screen resolution / ppi
2. Field of view
3. Lens blur/smear/glow

Recommendation

I will wait for Oculus Rift CV3, HTC Vive v3 and the GTX 1280ti/1380ti, maybe by then 2 way SLI would make it possible to have 1 graphics card to handle the graphics output for each eye which would help with not having hardware that can power the resolutions needed.

Development tests I have carried out

Best I can capture with my rubbish web cam but at least there are some previews.

A quick demo I programmed up to demonstrate lens glare/smear/blur/glow effect.

Another quick demo I programmed up to demonstrate 4K texture translation and minor aliasing issues but these aliasing issues are present in most things in VR at these screen resolutions.

Another quick demo I programmed up to test some better textures I found, 8K and 4K textures, set to 4096x 16bit, created some normal textures for them, slapped on some spheres and rotated. About as good as it gets. Lots of lens glow from white text exampled.

This is about as close as I can illustrate what you see when you put on the rift: an example of the view port, what you actually see and are expected to forget about. Black sides, room light from nose area, screen door and a little glow from white objects in the 3D scene bottom center.

WhatYouSeeInOculusRiftCV1.jpg

Conclusion
At the moment, VR in my opinion is a FAIL. The resolution is a joke / insult, the lens blur/smear/glow for someone like me whom loves space games is a huge disappointment and the screen door effect just about tolerable. Not to mention your full field of view is not covered and puts you in a diving mask (good for a 1st person diving game I guess lol).

Neither the Rift or the Vive should have been released with screens of this resolution / ppi. Should have been at least 1440p / 2k per an eye. The field of view needs to be at least 180 to 200 deg, and they should have worked out the lens blur/smudge/smear all before release.

nice post

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Don't know why you were expecting spares - you info is 12 months out of date. I got a lens cloth

You are suppose to remove the remote back plate to remove the tab

Screens are bespoke and best in class / the state of the art.

You rig clearly isn't capable of running decent graphics quality because my 980ti rocks in ED and P-Cars on max at a rock steady 90fps.

10/10 Build quality and comfort
10/10 Weight
10/10 Tracking
10/10 Lens gap adjustment - It's in the setup and covers the 95th percentile.
10/10 No adjustment for lens to eye distance adjustment (because it's just not needed)
10/10 Having headphones and allowing them to be detached
10/10 Not blocking external light from nose and upper padding areas and allowing me to find my mouse or Hotas etc.
8/10 Screen resolution , SDE is a non issue if res was higher no-one could run it.
8/10 Lens smear/blur/glow Godrays are only a problem in loading screens. Adjust the HMD properly and they are a non issue in game.
8/10 Diving Mask field of view could be better, still immersive.

Total 94/100

IMO VR is a total win.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Opinions vary...

RE:Expecting spares - your info is out of date

You trust anything you read / hear from Oculus anymore? I know I don't. RE: pull back for for plastic, not the instructions on the setup application were to pull, nothing about pulling the back off. But wasn't rocket science.

RE: Screens are bespoke and best in class / state of the art.

You seriously think samsung and lg don't have better? I've worked in LG and seen tech 10 years ahead of what the commercial sector had access to.

RE: Rig is not capable

It's not the best, I was going to upgrade to 2 x GTX1080s but seeing as the FOV is shait, the screen door is in your face and the god rays / blur / smear is a an insult, I think I will wait for something decent to come out.

VR is not ready, imo, but each to our own. lol

21 hours ago, Starglider said:

Opinions vary...

RE:Expecting spares - your info is out of date

You trust anything you read / hear from Oculus anymore? I know I don't. RE: pull back for for plastic, not the instructions on the setup application were to pull, nothing about pulling the back off. But wasn't rocket science.

RE: Screens are bespoke and best in class / state of the art.

You seriously think samsung and lg don't have better? I've worked in LG and seen tech 10 years ahead of what the commercial sector had access to.

RE: Rig is not capable

It's not the best, I was going to upgrade to 2 x GTX1080s but seeing as the FOV is shait, the screen door is in your face and the god rays / blur / smear is a an insult, I think I will wait for something decent to come out.

VR is not ready, imo, but each to our own. lol

The information about no spare faceplate etc was published well in advance of the preorder opening. Not sure how much more you could have trust in a company since they did exactly what they said they would.

These are the BEST screens available that can hit the refresh rates and low persistence. Which is essential for avoiding VR Sickness.

FOV is irrelevant once you get immersed. Screen door goes once you up the Per pixel AA 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

• 2 weeks later...

I totally subscribe Starglider's review of the oculus rift CV1. Couldn't be more spot on!

I had mine for 1 week now, and I am going to sell this piece of crap that made me feel like stucking my face against an old 80's crt tv with a diving mask on!!

I have the best rig available at the moment so I can guarantee VR products are currently an insult to game development.

The only good experience I get is when I remove it from my face and contemplate my ocular healthiness!

Serioulsy, before teleporting us to an other world, this CV1 turns us into people with serious vision problems!

My rating is 0/10

I agreed that VR is not ready.  I have been using the Vive since it's launch and i find that the visual lacking clarity is a huge setback...especially when play Pcars.  Other games/apps are manageable.