External gpu on a Lenovo Y70-70 laptop?

ExcaliburMC

I need to know if it's possible and if so what do I  need?  I have PSU ang gpu from an old build.  It's a Radeon HD 7770 and a 430w corsair.  Thanks

Just a random Geek.

3 minutes ago, ExcaliburMC said:

I need to know if it's possible and if so what do I  need?  I have PSU ang gpu from an old build.  It's a Radeon HD 7770 and a 430w corsair.  Thanks

it may be possible but its very hard. a usb3.0 to pcie adapter is too slow for your needs and i dont think there is any pcie connectivity inside. if you got a dedicated gpu maybe you can use this connection somehow but you wont use this setup everyday.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

28 minutes ago, ExcaliburMC said:

My laptop has a GTX 960m in it

Why exactly are you even considering this then? The HD7770 is barely any better even in theory. In reality it's old AF and not really optimized for like your laptop GPU is.

But anyhoo. You can remove the Wi-Fi chip and use the slot for an adapter like this and go from there. I'll bet the drives are going to be a friggin' nightmare and a half though and PCI-Ex1, while best you can muster, is probably going to be a bottleneck. 

11 hours ago, ExcaliburMC said:

My laptop has a GTX 960m in it

Yes it is absolutely possible, I recently added an eGPU to my friend's laptop. However, we had to sacrafice the Wi-Fi card in order to make it work. The rule is, that you MUST use the same GPU manufacturer. AMD with AMD, NV with NV. So unless you get an Nvidia card from somewhere, you won't be able to do it. 
You'll need am USB-WiFi adapter (but the Y70 has LAN, so you will be able to use wire network), a cheap thingie from Bangood or from Amazon, the choice is yours. 
I repeat: Unless you have the same GPU manufacturer, your laptop will scream for it's life and probably bluescreen (we had the same, so I can't say the symptoms for sure).
I hope I helped, questions are welcomed.