Explain Watercooling as Noobily as possible.

Clearly your rig is not silent because silent means no sound at all. 

what you have is at best a "quiet build" because your water loop is drawing so much power that its fan needs to run.

as for my air cooling rig, there is no sound at all because my fans arent spinning unless under load, even when it is, my fan runs only at 500 rpm.

So how is your custome loop silent if it requires your psu fan to spin up because it is drawing so much power? 

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Clearly your rig is not silent because silent means no sound at all. 

what you have is at best a "quiet build" because your water loop is drawing so much power that its fan needs to run.

as for my air cooling rig, there is no sound at all because my fans arent spinning unless under load, even when it is, my fan runs only at 500 rpm.

Ah sorry do forgive me, you see I went from air cooling an overclocked FX 8350 at 4.8ghz which sounded like a turbine test rig to a silent watercooled rig at 5ghz, my i5 is also delidded, bare die 4.7ghz with a 970 overclocked to 1600mhz+ on the core and 8000mhz vram, as I'm sure you're aware, overclocking means more voltage which in turn creates more heat.

Removing the heat from my components is key to keeping them alive but because I value my sanity and my hearing, I've decided to believe science over the delusions of ignorance and go with watercooling. When my PC is underload aka gaming or stress testing then my EVGA 750w G2 which remains in ECO mode so the fan is not spinning.... starts to spin it is the only thing I can hear coming from my rig. Everything else, is silent. Also my temps are amazing even with 1.5v on the i5 I don't even thermal throttle, so when I have it at a tame voltage I barely exceed 60c and my GPU never hits 55c, the idle temps, even better so much so that the entire rig is silent.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

My god can you stop using the word silent for your rig. Silent means no sound! Yes water cooling is best for overclocking, i'll give you that, but that doesn't mean its silent. 

Most people don't overclock, meaning majority can take advantage of the passive cooling aspect of air cooling at idle. Then they game under load, they can just lower their fan speed for a little higher temp. 

And if thy want to go even further, they can even mod a beefier gpu and cpu cooler so that it can stay on the cooler side.

no matter how low you set your pump, it will always be running, you can't deny that

Just now, Bcat00 said:

My god can you stop using the word silent for your rig. Silent means no sound! Yes water cooling is best for overclocking, i'll give you that, but that doesn't mean its silent. 

Most people don't overclock, meaning majority can take advantage of the passive cooling aspect of air cooling at idle. Then they game under load, they can just lower their fan speed for a little higher temp. 

And if thy want to go even further, they can even mod a beefier gpu and cpu cooler so that it can stay on the cooler side.

no matter how low you set your pump, it will always be running, you can't deny that

It's silent to me because its below ambient sound levels. I can literally hear anything but my PC and it's sat like 24 inches away from me on my desk. It's silent bro, deal with it. Not sure what pump you used to give off the impression air cooling is better and quieter but from all my experience, even with a noctua NH-D14... I call bullshit.

Also, My pc is silent, so is my gf's, also so is my 2nd rig. SILENT.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Like you said "to you", not others. my pump was perfectly fine but it is like i said, not silent because the pump will always be runnning unless i turn it off. 

6 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

*snip*

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

*snip*

All pumps are different.  At work, we had to wear hearing protection to go in the building with them.  Maybe you guys have different pumps, and one is louder than the other?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Like you said "to you", not others. my pump was perfectly fine but it is like i said, not silent because the pump will always be runnning unless i turn it off. 

Your pump has to run because if it doesn't circulate the coolant heat will build up much like air in an air cooled rig. Please could you tell me which pump you had?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I know every pump is different and his pump is very quiet, but like i said no matter how quiet, it can never be "silent" because the pump must always be running in order for the water to cool the rig.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

All pumps are different.  At work, we had to wear hearing protection to go in the building with them.  Maybe you guys have different pumps, and one is louder than the other?

He's refusing to list his pump, I have D5's set to setting 1 as mine are all varios. I have mine mounted to the tube res Primochill CTR II with rubber screws on the Define S pump mount wall.

Kraken-loop.jpg

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Bcat00 said:

I know every pump is different and his pump is very quiet, but like i said no matter how quiet, it can never be "silent" because the pump must always be running in order for the water to cool the rig.

It's very silent though, so much so I can hear literally everything else other than my PC.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

so how does posting your rig's pic help your arguement?

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

so how does posting your rig's pic help your arguement?

Ah there's another of your problems, this isn't an argument. Just me pointing out what you're saying is bollocks.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Clearly you're a die hard fan of water cooling and any common sense won't get through. 

Just now, Bcat00 said:

Clearly you're a die hard fan of water cooling and any common sense won't get through. 

Not true I build air cooled rigs for friends and family over CLU or AIO coolers because they're shit quality. Any more personal insults or blanket statements you wish to use to win this one sided "Argument"?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

So the fact that custom loops cost more make everything else shit? Seriously, you need to get your head checked.

Just now, Bcat00 said:

So the fact that custom loops cost more make everything else shit? Seriously, you need to get your head checked.

Nope I never said that, now you're really clutching at straws, I never said they're shit, not once, AIO coolers are shit, I've seen enough posts on this forum alone to confirm they're cheap tat. Air coolers on the other hand like the NH-D14, excellent cooler, silent? nah, as good as a AIO in cooling performance and noise levels, damn right! 

A custom loop is the best of the best, I and many others have the numbers and all that jazz to confirm, so much so that my very on gf asked to borrow my spare parts to build her custom loop because she hated the noise of her fans. Also my custom loops are for the most part second hand so they didn't cost me much at all. :D

Anything else you'd like to add?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Yes custom loop is best of best, i won't deny you that, but you calling everything else shit is clearly your opinion. people on this forum doesn't represent the vast majority of other peoples opinion not visiting this site, in fact, this site is not even all that big compared to the amount of users out there. 

Just now, Bcat00 said:

Yes custom loop is best of best, i won't deny you that, but you calling everything else shit is clearly your opinion. people on this forum doesn't represent the vast majority of other peoples opinion not visiting this site, in fact, this site is not even all that big compared to the amount of users out there. 

This site is full of ignorance which, you'll fit right into, as for peoples opinions, well there is a saying for that, Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, and they all stink of shit. I never said air coolers where shit, I did say however that my loop is silent and you must of either bought a very shit pump to save a few monies, or you ran that thing at full bore 24/7 etc. 

Yet to have a quieter air cooled overclocked system, while my loop is silent. Do you hear that noise? No? That's my loop, silence.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Not hearing doesn't mean its silent. If you say it like that i might as well just throw my rig in the attic and pull a wire with a adapter into my room and call it a silent build.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Not hearing doesn't mean its silent. If you say it like that i might as well just throw my rig in the attic and pull a wire with a adapter into my room and call it a silent build.

That would be silent indeed because you cannot hear it, thus, silence. Just like that voice in your heard formally known as a brain. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

You are clearly upset, no point in even continuing this anymore?

Just now, Bcat00 said:

You are clearly upset, no point in even continuing this anymore?

The word you're looking for is amused. ;)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

1 hour ago, Benji_w said:

I can't hear my pump over my PSU fan, meaning that's the loudest thing in my rigs, the PSU fan... If you read it again it might make more sense. I don't hear any of my fans just my PSU fan. That's how silent my rigs are.

This^ Although my psu fan isn't loud. When the background noise pollution is low enough, my light bulbs are notably bothersome compared to my pc...

There gets to be a point where the hotter your hardware is the more watercooling is the ONLY way to get silence...

IMHO that tends to be right around the 980ti/390/Fury X mark for gpu's, and overclocked x99 for cpu's.

Air cooling just can't keep up with the increasing power dissipation demands.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

This^ Although my psu fan isn't loud. When the background noise pollution is low enough, my light bulbs are notably bothersome compared to my pc...

There gets to be a point where the hotter your hardware is the more watercooling is the ONLY way to get silence...

IMHO that tends to be right around the 980ti/390/Fury X mark for gpu's, and overclocked x99 for cpu's.

Air cooling just can't keep up with the increasing power dissipation demands.

Don't you just wish you could watercool you PSU to get rid of that last bit of noise? Lmao, I'll never go back to air cooling, too much noise and very inefficient.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken