Poor Minecraft performance on GTX 760

robbivip

So, I just bought a used GTX 760 and I figured I'd try minecraft on it. Since I do play that quite a bit. I made a single player map, Placed a bunch of TNT an blew it up, the usual poor mans benchmark. And to my surprise it dropped in fps massively, as the TNT was exploding it was around 5-10 FPS. I've seen "Minecraft test's" on YouTube with the 760, people are doing the same and barley drop a frame. And no, they're not using optifine, neither am I. I'm afraid there's something wrong with my card. My FX-8120 stayed below 60% usage at all times.

Can anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

- Robbivip

I highly doubt it's the card's fault.

How much ram do you have and how much have you allocated to minecraft?

Btw can you check the load readings from the GPU?

Temps of the card?

Don't start a post without pc specs.

1 minute ago, HydraGaming said:

I just had the standard 1GB, I think. I can't actually check it at the moment. I'm getting a "hand me down" kind of a system from a relative. So I got to throw my 760 in it yesterday to test it out. I tried running 3Dmark skydiver and firestrike, and it ran a little poor for a 760 clocked at around 1200. I'll let you know how it performs once I do a fresh install of Windows 10 and get my case. I just figured to ask if there was any obvious explanation for this.

Thanks

- Robbivip

Check the temperatures of the card and whether the fans are running- it could be throttling.

If this isn't the case, benchmark the card with another CPU and see if that changes anything.

18 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

12 minutes ago, robbivip said:

I just had the standard 1GB, I think. I can't actually check it at the moment. I'm getting a "hand me down" kind of a system from a relative.

RAM = system memory
VRAM = video memory
Question was about system memory (RAM) NOT video memory (VRAM).

If U really have only 1GB of system RAM, no wonder U have problems with minecraft...

GPU loads can be checked in game with MSI Afterburner or recorded "in the backgorund" by GPU-z (and logged in file).
PS. 64-bit java is on ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

35 minutes ago, robbivip said:

So, I just bought a used GTX 760 and I figured I'd try minecraft on it. Since I do play that quite a bit. I made a single player map, Placed a bunch of TNT an blew it up, the usual poor mans benchmark. And to my surprise it dropped in fps massively, as the TNT was exploding it was around 5-10 FPS. I've seen "Minecraft test's" on YouTube with the 760, people are doing the same and barley drop a frame. And no, they're not using optifine, neither am I. I'm afraid there's something wrong with my card. My FX-8120 stayed below 60% usage at all times.

Can anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Your CPU may be at 60% total package use, but that single core running Minecraft is probably hitting 100%.  Simply open the task manager and recreate your test.  Tab out and look at the task manager to see if any single core is hitting a wall.

22 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

RAM = system memory
VRAM = video memory
Question was about system memory (RAM) NOT video memory (VRAM).

If U really have only 1GB of system RAM, no wonder U have problems with minecraft...

GPU loads can be checked in game with MSI Afterburner or recorded "in the backgorund" by GPU-z (and logged in file).
PS. 64-bit java is on ?

No, I was talking about the ram allocated to minecraft. I just don't know what the standard amount is because I hadn't changed it. I'll have to re-run all of this once I get set up. I just realized now that the guy I bought it from had clearly OC'd it. Since the boost clock is supposed to be 1150Mhz and it was running at 1170Mhz according to 3Dmark. So it might be throttling, I'll let you know once I have this all configured if the problem remains.

Thanks

- Robbivip

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Your CPU may be at 60% total package use, but that single core running Minecraft is probably hitting 100%.  Simply open the task manager and recreate your test.  Tab out and look at the task manager to see if any single core is hitting a wall.

Alright. I'll try that. The 8120 is running at stock speed too, I might try to push it to around 4Ghz, that seems to be what others are getting. I'm just afraid that my PSU will crap on me, it's some crappy Inter-Tech Energon 1000w, and no I haven't heard of that either.

Thanks

- Robbivip

35 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Check the temperatures of the card and whether the fans are running- it could be throttling.

If this isn't the case, benchmark the card with another CPU and see if that changes anything.

Very possible, according to 3Dmark the highest clock speed recorded was 1170Mhz but the card's boost clock is supposed to be at 1150, so it might have throttled, I'll let you know how this pans out once I get this all setup.

Thanks

- Robbivip