At2020 Setup Help?

Mundlier
Go to solution Solved by megaant4,

Fair enough, but for for school they don't really expect much in terms of audio quality.. As long as it isn't a potato microphone you'll be right. I never owned the USB AT2020 but I did have the Blue Yeti which worked amazingly. I wouldn't recommend using the PSU as you'll probably have worst quality than the USB version of the mic.. But I'm not entirely sure and if your research says otherwise, then go for it. But I would recommend an audio interface

If you want to start small, the Blue Snowball is also a great option. But you should look around at other mixers, as you can get some really good ones for pretty cheap.

I'm thinking of getting an At2020. I've been researching my options and decided to go with the XLR At2020. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to get mixer wise. I would prefer something really basic so I can save up towards an upgrade (preferably under $80, $100 max budget). 

Would purchasing this psu and cable work, or do I need a mixer?

In the instance that I need a mixer, which is affordable and reliable?

Thanks.

The PSU and Cable might work. But you are WAY better off with just a good audio interface. Currently the main one every uses is the Scarlett 2i2, but I suggest just picking up the Solo edition instead as you only need on XLR input. You will need a Male to Female XLR cable though. 
Let me know if you have any other questions as I have the AT2020 (XLR edition as well) but I'm running it on  a Yamaha AG06 Mixer.

46 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

The PSU and Cable might work. But you are WAY better off with just a good audio interface. Currently the main one every uses is the Scarlett 2i2, but I suggest just picking up the Solo edition instead as you only need on XLR input. You will need a Male to Female XLR cable though. 
Let me know if you have any other questions as I have the AT2020 (XLR edition as well) but I'm running it on  a Yamaha AG06 Mixer.

Why is a good audio interface important? (I'm new to sound, sorry)

41 minutes ago, Mundlier said:

Why is a good audio interface important? (I'm new to sound, sorry)

The provide cleaner, higher quality audio. The one I posted works as both a DAC/AMP and interface for your microphone. It will allow you to record/stream higher quality audio. Might I ask, what are you using the mic for? The USB option of the AT2020 is just as good really..

5 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

The provide cleaner, higher quality audio. The one I posted works as both a DAC/AMP and interface for your microphone. It will allow you to record/stream higher quality audio. Might I ask, what are you using the mic for? The USB option of the AT2020 is just as good really..

The main reason I want to buy this mic is for school. We have a lot of projects involving audio voice overs and I thought it would be a good investment for the future. I also want to try animation and voice acting on youtube (maybe). If the difference between interface and no interface is not too much, choosing the psu and upgrading later would fit my budget better. Do you think there's a large quality difference between the psu option and a mixer/etc? 

P.S I'm hesitant on the usb option because a lot of people say that usb mics are crackly. Also, the usb mic is $200 CAD which I think is too much for what you get. Spending potentially less or maybe $10-30 more with upgradeability options sounds like a better deal to me.

Fair enough, but for for school they don't really expect much in terms of audio quality.. As long as it isn't a potato microphone you'll be right. I never owned the USB AT2020 but I did have the Blue Yeti which worked amazingly. I wouldn't recommend using the PSU as you'll probably have worst quality than the USB version of the mic.. But I'm not entirely sure and if your research says otherwise, then go for it. But I would recommend an audio interface

If you want to start small, the Blue Snowball is also a great option. But you should look around at other mixers, as you can get some really good ones for pretty cheap.

21 hours ago, megaant4 said:

I ended up getting the at2020 USB +. The mic seems great but I'm getting a lot of background noise, do you know how to reduce it?

On 4/26/2016 at 9:50 AM, Mundlier said:

I ended up getting the at2020 USB +. The mic seems great but I'm getting a lot of background noise, do you know how to reduce it?

Nice choice! I suggest trying to reduce the recording volume to a point where it picks up your voice but not the surroundings. You can also use Audacity "noise-reduction" feature to remove background noise. Do you have a pop filter?

Try bringing it as close to your face as possible. I have my mounted on a boom arm and shock-mount.