So 2 days ago I was playing games, and as I was switching to a different game my computer completely shut down, no error messages no anything, when i tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. So i though, whatever probably just a power supply issue. So i ran out and bought another one, no go. Then i thought, maybe its the 24 pin on my motherboard, so i ran out and bought another mobo, no go. Today I looked at my cpu, some of the pins were bent, no reason why they should be. But i thought, okay, that must be the problem, ran out bought a new cpu. Come home, and install it. Try to turn on the pc and nothing. The power light on the motherboard comes on, stays on. the fans on my gpu and psu turn on for less than half a second and then stop in their tracks. I tried to reset the cmos, and nothing. I have tried taking my gpu off, maybe it was taking too much power. Nope. Nothing different. It was doing this on my other mobo too. The one from 2 days ago. Tried 1 stick of ram. Nothing. And it has been nothing for the past 2 days. I am lost, i have no idea what is going on. I need help and when i went to frys and bestbuy they were wanting to charge me 100$ because they didn't know the problem either and wanted to run diagnostics. I am desperate for a fix. And i have already spent 300+ on new hardware that has done nothing. 

2 minutes ago, nurvdamage said:

So 2 days ago I was playing games, and as I was switching to a different game my computer completely shut down, no error messages no anything, when i tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. So i though, whatever probably just a power supply issue. So i ran out and bought another one, no go. Then i thought, maybe its the 24 pin on my motherboard, so i ran out and bought another mobo, no go. Today I looked at my cpu, some of the pins were bent, no reason why they should be. But i thought, okay, that must be the problem, ran out bought a new cpu. Come home, and install it. Try to turn on the pc and nothing. The power light on the motherboard comes on, stays on. the fans on my gpu and psu turn on for less than half a second and then stop in their tracks. I tried to reset the cmos, and nothing. I have tried taking my gpu off, maybe it was taking too much power. Nope. Nothing different. It was doing this on my other mobo too. The one from 2 days ago. Tried 1 stick of ram. Nothing. And it has been nothing for the past 2 days. I am lost, i have no idea what is going on. I need help and when i went to frys and bestbuy they were wanting to charge me 100$ because they didn't know the problem either and wanted to run diagnostics. I am desperate for a fix. And i have already spent 300+ on new hardware that has done nothing. 

Unplug the USB headers and try again. Sounds like the consistent thing between all the hardware swaps is the case which possibly has a USB plug with a short.

14.png

4 minutes ago, nurvdamage said:

the pins were bent, no reason why they should be. But i thought, okay, that must be the problem, ran out bought a new cpu. Come home, and install it. Try to turn on the pc and nothing. The power light on the motherboard comes on, stays on. the fans on my gpu and psu turn on for less than half a second and then stop in their tracks. I tried to reset the cmos, and nothing. I have tried taking my gpu off, maybe it was taking too much power. Nope. Nothing different. It was doing this on my other mobo too. The one from 2 days ago. Tried 1 stick of ram. Nothing. And it has been nothing for the past 2 days. I am

Calm down, what exactly are the specs of your pc.

did you switch out the GPU? becasue it sounds like you never tested the GPU to see if its bad. and if its a NVIDA gpu try to roll back drivers becasue they had a disaterous driver update that terrorized many computers 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Did you try pluging it on another power outlet/power cord?

Also, other monitors?

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Calm down, what exactly are the specs of your pc.

650W PSU 
GTX 960 SC
AMD A10 7700k
a88x-g45 Gaming edition motherboard.
2x 4 GB HyperX Fury RAM

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

did you switch out the GPU? becasue it sounds like you never tested the GPU to see if its bad. and if its a NVIDA gpu try to roll back drivers becasue they had a disaterous driver update that terrorized many computers 

I can't boot up the pc. 

Just now, nurvdamage said:

650W PSU 
GTX 960 SC
AMD A10 7700k
a88x-g45 Gaming edition motherboard.
2x 4 GB HyperX Fury RAM

What psu specifically?

I can't boot up the pc. 

is the graphics card an NVIDIA one? or ATI/AMD

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

What psu specifically?

XFX-TS 650W and a thermaltake 650W that is brand new.

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

I think it's technically just Radeon now.

2 hours ago, yuriinfo said:

Did you try pluging it on another power outlet/power cord?

Also, other monitors?

Yes. I have tried both of those. Nothing. I even went as far as trying out my friends cpu in my motherboard, with nothing else even plugged into my board, and it worked for about 1 minute.

2 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Nvidia GTX 960

1 minute ago, nurvdamage said:

Yes. I have tried both of those. Nothing. I even went as far as trying out my friends cpu in my motherboard, with nothing else even plugged into my board, and it worked for about 1 minute.

Try the usb thing @DunePilot mentioned.

Try the usb thing @DunePilot mentioned.

I just did. Nothing different happened.

Well shite. Fresh window's install?

Well shite. Fresh window's install?

I can't boot up the pc. It literally does not post or keep the fans spinning. The gpu/psu/case fans all start for about half a second when i first try to plug in the power supply and turn it on. Then they all just stop.

So when does it work?

When you say you can't boot you mean what? No noise, no leds, no beep, no fans?

Test your new and old PSU, connect the green and any of the black wires(with the PSU disconected from the mobo), keep it connected. Smell it (seriously)

If it's working and no smoky smell, try it on another computer.

Maybe you got a new dead PSU. Also, check the wattage (I've been through that)

I can't boot up the pc. It literally does not post or keep the fans spinning. The gpu/psu/case fans all start for about half a second when i first try to plug in the power supply and turn it on. Then they all just stop.

Did you remember to put in the motherboard stand offs?

7 minutes ago, nurvdamage said:

Definitely sounds some kind of short. Motherboards have protection features built in and if they detect things aren't right you'll get one that acts completely dead or work once out of every few attempts or randomly shuts off. The USB issue is common but not very well known, if a plug gets bent or has some other kind of failure they will cause those kind of issues. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. It's pretty much one of the first things I do when troubleshooting now days, part of the common procedure.

You can test your power supplies as well by jumping the green to a black. (Look it up on youtube) Also with a mulitmeter you can check the voltages, as long as they are within 5% of what they should be then the PSU is good.

1 minute ago, yuriinfo said:

So when does it work?

When you say you can't boot you mean what? No noise, no leds, no beep, no fans?

Test your new and old PSU, connect the green and any of the black wires(with the PSU disconected from the mobo), keep it connected. Smell it (seriously)

If it's working and no smoky smell, try it on another computer.

Maybe you got a new dead PSU. Also, check the wattage (I've been through that)

The wattage is fine, there is no smoky smell. When i say i can't boot, i mean, there is no noise, the led turns on for about half a second with the fans and then it turns off again. but there is a button on the mobo, with leds, like an OC switch, that lights up when i press it.

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Did you remember to put in the motherboard stand offs?

Yes.

2 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Definitely sounds some kind of short. Motherboards have protection features built in and if they detect things aren't right you'll get one that acts completely dead or work once out of every few attempts or randomly shuts off. The USB issue is common but not very well known, try get bent or have some other kind of failure they will cause that issue I learned that the hard way a long time ago. It's pretty much one of the first things I do when troubleshooting now days, part of the common procedure.

You can test your power supplies as well by jumping the green to a black. (Look it up on youtube) Also with a mulitmeter you can check the voltages, as long as they are within 5% of what they should be then the PSU is good.

Could you explain what im supposed to be doing with the USB issue? Like how to check it? I think I did it. But i just want to make sure.

7 minutes ago, nurvdamage said:

Could you explain what im supposed to be doing with the USB issue? Like how to check it? I think I did it. But i just want to make sure.

You just unplug all of them. Thats how you hook up your case USB plugs. The common problem is like... daily unplugging of your USB sticks or cell phone chargers into the case USB plugs sometimes causes them to eventually get a short in them... that causes these exact kind of issues and is a huge pain in the rear to troubleshoot if you aren't aware that it's a common problem. So if you have anything plugged into any USB headers on your MB then unplug them all when the system is off and then try to boot up.

Edit: Typos, gosh I can't type today.

5 minutes ago, nurvdamage said:

Disconnect anything USB from the mobo.

Check the connectors.

Turn it on with only the CPU, a stick of memory and your main drive. (monitor connected to the onboard video).

Try it with both PSUs and with both memories.

It could be a short or ESD damage to the mobo. Did you touch the mobo without ESD protection before it did not work, or did any metal touch the mobo before it stooped working? 

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC.