[Review][Keyboard] Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Gavinhenderson5

Link to keyboard on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JQD-00006-Sidewinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B0037KLSS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357423859&sr=8-1

I got the keyboard on Christmas, 10 days ago. I use it for several hours in a day so i think i have used it enough to do a full review. In this review I will evaluate a variety of parts of the keyboard.

Function: The keys almost feel mechanical so I find it very easy to touch type. The keys are also glossy, at first I thought it would be an annoyance because my fingers couldn't slide around but after time I find it makes it easier. As Linus would say 'the layout commits no cardinal sins'. The 6 macro keys are a bit out of the way and the macro record function is a too hard to figure out but it is easy to use the software included. There are music controls which are in a fine positions (I don't really use them). The keyboard brightness is in 4 stages which is the a reasonable amount.

Environment: The keyboard has a palm rest and flip stands. They make the keyboard viable for any environment. It is also the standard keyboard length so it will fit in desk keyboard drawers.

Durability: I cant really judge the durability because I haven't had it long enough. However there is some flex to the keyboard but not enough that it is going to cause any big issues.

Cost: This keyboard is very cheap for the quality. However if you are a hardcore gamer I would recommend shelling out the extra few pounds to get a mechanical keyboard.

Aesthetics: The keyboard looks amazing. The lights are the perfect brightness and the glossyness makes it look amazing. Its hard to describe but if you have this keyboard everything else will look like they are from the stone age.

Thanks for reading my review, if you have any questions please ask :)

It looks like it would feel like a laptop keyboard. Is it similar to that?

Yeah, it's a lot to try and justify spending on a hobby.

laptop keyboards makes my hands hurt D:

I love my CMStorm Quickfire rapid with Cherry MX Blue switches

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Nice review! I have the sidewinder X4 after owning a few cheap generic keyboards and a saitek cyborg V7 and I have to say it is the best out of the lot, its comfortable to type on and despite being glossy isn't too bad for fingerprints. My only issue is that pressing any other key with caps lock cancels it (ie if you are using it for PTT ingame pressing w to walk forward stops transmitting what you were saying).

Nice review! I have the sidewinder X4 after owning a few cheap generic keyboards and a saitek cyborg V7 and I have to say it is the best out of the lot, its comfortable to type on and despite being glossy isn't too bad for fingerprints. My only issue is that pressing any other key with caps lock cancels it (ie if you are using it for PTT ingame pressing w to walk forward stops transmitting what you were saying).
I've never encountered that issue. Maybe it was just a fault with your keyboard?