I can't boot after moving my SSD to a different SATA port.

kenblu24
Go to solution Solved by kenblu24,

None of the above worked. I also tried using bootrec from a windows USB, and I tried using Macrium Reflect to clone the drive. Neither got me anywhere. However, I stumbled upon the solution here. Simply boot into safe mode, shutdown, move the drive, boot up. It booted up like there was no problem at all! Kinda gets my goat that I don't know what the cause of this was.

My 250gb 840 Evo has not been performing as advertised. 250-ish m/b read and write speeds, about half what it should be. I've tried two different 6gb/s SATA3 cables, both came with Asrock's mobo. The manual states that two SATA ports are controlled by an asmedia chip, the rest are controlled by Intel. My boot drive, the 840 evo, was on the Asmedia chip, and I want to move the SSD to the Intel ports to try and get better speeds. When I do so, I get a minute-long windows loading screen, a blue screen for about half a second with the error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and the computer restarts into Windows' automatic repair. 

Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

Asrock z87 extreme4 ATX (manual)

Samsung 840 Evo 250gb connected to SATA3_A0 when working

WD 1tb HDD (tried with this unplugged, same result)

i7 4770k 

XFX r9 280x

define r4

corsair cx600M

SATA3 AHCI mode

Dynamic Storage Accelerator: Enabled

ASMedia SATA3 Mode: AHCI

SATA Boot Rom: Disabled

eSATA Mode: Auto

SATA3_5: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

Ultra DMA : 6

External SATA: Disabled

Hot Plug: Disabled

SATA Device Type: Solid State Drive (Also tried with this set to "Hard Disk Driver")

Boot Settings: 

Boot Option Priorities:: AHCI P5: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 25

3 minutes ago, kenblu24 said:

My 250gb 840 Evo has not been performing as advertised. 250-ish m/b read and write speeds, about half what it should be. I've tried two different 6gb/s SATA3 cables, both came with Asrock's mobo. The manual states that two SATA ports are controlled by an asmedia chip, the rest are controlled by Intel. My boot drive, the 840 evo, was on the Asmedia chip, and I want to move the SSD to the Intel ports to try and get better speeds. When I do so, I get a minute-long windows loading screen, a blue screen for about half a second with the error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and the computer restarts into Windows' automatic repair. 

Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

Asrock z87 extreme4 ATX (manual)

Samsung 840 Evo 250gb connected to SATA3_A0 when working

WD 1tb HDD (tried with this unplugged, same result)

i7 4770k 

XFX r9 280x

define r4

corsair cx600M

SATA3 AHCI mode

Dynamic Storage Accelerator: Enabled

ASMedia SATA3 Mode: AHCI

SATA Boot Rom: Disabled

eSATA Mode: Auto

SATA3_5: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

Ultra DMA : 6

External SATA: Disabled

Hot Plug: Disabled

SATA Device Type: Solid State Drive (Also tried with this set to "Hard Disk Driver")

Boot Settings: 

Boot Option Priorities:: AHCI P5: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 25

i hate to say it, but double check your boot suff in the bios! http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2183882/ssd-boot-intel-sata-ports.html

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

49 minutes ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

i hate to say it, but double check your boot suff in the bios! http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2183882/ssd-boot-intel-sata-ports.html

I'm not sure what setting they're talking about. Everything says AHCI mode. I've tried setting the Asmedia SATA3 mode to disabled, that didn't help. I've re-enabled the ASmedia ports and plugged the SSD back into the working ports to try and figure out the drivers, but I'm not sure if Ihave any SATA drivers installed at all and I have no idea how to get the Intel drivers.

give this a try:

put the SSD back in the AsMedia port and boot up

go in Device Manager and uninstall the disk drives

example: 8ZNOF56.png

don't shut down yet

open regedit, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices end delete any entry under that key

example: mpm5Ybz.png

now shutdown, make sure the Intel controller is set AHCI, move the SSD to the Intel port and boot up, it should install the drivers

---

do I need to tell you that you need to backup your data!?

the most right way to fix this is to do a clean Windows install - I can't guarantee the above method works

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

give this a try:

put the SSD back in the AsMedia port and boot up

go in Device Manager and uninstall the disk drives

example: 8ZNOF56.png

don't shut down yet

open regedit, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices end delete any entry under that key

example: mpm5Ybz.png

now shutdown, make sure the Intel controller is set AHCI, move the SSD to the Intel port and boot up, it should install the drivers

---

do I need to tell you that you need to backup your data!?

the most right way to fix this is to do a clean Windows install - I can't guarantee the above method works

I will try this when I am able to back up my data. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

None of the above worked. I also tried using bootrec from a windows USB, and I tried using Macrium Reflect to clone the drive. Neither got me anywhere. However, I stumbled upon the solution here. Simply boot into safe mode, shutdown, move the drive, boot up. It booted up like there was no problem at all! Kinda gets my goat that I don't know what the cause of this was.