Gaming Build Help needed

reach4drake

Hi Guys, im ViJay from Bangalore(India) Planning to build a Gaming Rig That can last 5 years, based on the research i made online i have come up with three builds out of which the first two are currently slightly out of my budget (m working on that), whereas the third one is within my budget. i will be using the computer mainly for gaming, surfing and coding. im confused with the intel or amd, haswell or ivy,etc., if anybody can help me buy the best pc and clear my doubts i will be most gratefull. also i dont mind if u can suggest me better components than this, looking forward for assistance

INTEL RIG

CPU : i5 3570K

MOBO : MSI Z77 MPower motherboard

GPU : MSI R7970 Lightning 3 GB

RAM : Corsair or Gskill 4*2 gb (1600)

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

PSU : Seasonic SS-750JS 750 Watts PSU

CASE : Corsair Carbide Series 500R

DVD : Asus

AMD RIG

CPU : AMD FX 8350 Processor

MOBO : Asus CROSSHAIR-V-Formula-Z ROG

GPU : Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum ROG 3 GB

RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (4*2 GB) (1600)

PSU : Seasonic SS-750JS 750 Watts PSU

CASE : Cooler Master HAF 912

CUSTom Rig

CPU : Intel i5 3570K

MOBO: Asrock extreme 4 or 6

GPU : Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x 3 GB

RAM : Corsair or Gskill 4*2 gb (1600)

PSU : Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU

CASE : Cooler Master HAF 912

Mouse : Logitech G300

Keyboard : Microsoft 4000 ergonomics, Is this Good ??

Thank You

Here's what I would recommend

CPU: Intel i5 3570k - it performs better than 8350 in 95% of the time

MOBO: Any Asus or Gigabyte board that has features you need. MSI and Asrock are good as well however I really prefer Asus. A good budget Asus board would be the P8Z77.

GPU: Any Asus AMD GPU or MSI GeForce 660 ti power edition, or Asus 670 or 680. Just pick whichever price range is comfortable for you. Other good brands are XFX and EVGA.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance

HDD: Seagate Barracuda unless you want to go for SSD. Then go for Samsung 840 pro + WD green for storage.

PSU: Any seasonic or corsair psu. I personally prefer corsair because their psu's look nicer.

CASE: HAF 912 and corsair 500R are both good but I would prefer something like a Fractal Design Define R4 or BitFenix Shinobi Window for the windowed side panels.

DVD: Any under $20. Does not really matter.

Mouse: Cannot speak for many mice specifically but Logitech, Corsair, and SteelSeries make great mice.

Keyboard: Anything not mechanical is about the same. If you have the money to spend, get a mechanical keyboard.

Something I almost forgot. If you're looking into overclocking or want a silent computer, you will need to get a CPU cooler. The stock intel one performs poorly and is loud. However, if you are not looking to overclock and don't mind the noise, the stock cooler is completely fine. A great budget CPU cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $30. For something on the performance side, Get an H100i or H110 depending on if the H110 fits in your case.

How long do you have to wait? Haswell is due out soon - so if you can wait a couple of months for it's release, should see a bunch of new options. I would also expect some price drops, if meager, on current IB chips.

Get a decent SSD for boot - makes ALL the difference, then a mechanical drive for storage.

How many monitors are you running? Maybe drop your GPU down a level to cover the SSD and some extra ram - 8GB is good - 16 is better. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Here is a solid build I'd recommend. I'll try to keep it within the price range of your currently listed products.

CPU: Intel 3570k. The 3570k is enough for people in 97% of cases. It's perfect for gaming. Most games don't even use more than two cores, nor will any game use the Hyperthreading that you'd find on an i7.

Motherboard; Asus MAXIMUS V FORUMLA. Although it is $60 USD more, it is totally worth it. Coming from an MSI board to the Formula was the best thing I could of done. The on board audio is insanely good for it being integrated. I'd highly recommend it.

Graphics card: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB. You don't need 3GBs for gaming. You're just overpaying there. The MSI card you listed is discontinued according to Newegg, but I found out it is about $500 USD. I'd usually recommend nVidia over AMD based off of experience. I've owned 4 nVidia cards. Two EVGA, one Zotac, and one Gigabyte. They're all still functioning today. The two AMD cards I've used have died on me over time. Both Gigabyte. I tend to sway towards EVGA manufactured nVidia cards. A 680 will perform top of the line with pretty much whatever you throw at it with the minimum I can see it dipping is like 45FPS under heavy load(just spit balling here).

RAM: You can go with pretty much anything from G.Skill, Corsair, and Kingston. Those are the brands I trust outright. Any 4x2GB kit will work. From what I can tell, almost all of them have the same, or not similar timing and CAS latency so I wouldn't worry about it.

HD: I'd honestly recommend you get a 1TB Western Digital Black HDD and then go with two 60GB SSDs in RAID. Go with an OCZ Vertex 3 for the SSD. If you're not up for that, then I'd go for the 2TB. I currently have a 2TB Seagate as my storage drive and it works fine.

PSU; Although the PSU you picked out is fine, I'd recommend a Corsair HX750. It is 80+ gold certified while the one you picked out is only bronze. I'd always say go with Corsair first.

I hope I've helped haha.

Case: All personal preference! Anything by Corsair, Coolermaster, BitFenix, and a few more brands are great. I'd personally recommend the CoolerMaster Storm Trooper. It is the case I have and it is just wonderful. It's a full tower though, and the thing is MASSIVE haha.

CD drive: Honestly, whatever is under $25 and has good reviews haha.

What is the actual budget? Have you thought about the cost of an OS? MS Office? - all those add up in cost.

Thank you all for the input guys,

@NannerBeans for Motherboard even i prefer asus, but i checked out few reviews on mpower which tells it is a very good motherboard for overclocking and also i like the layout and color of mpower. that was the primary reason why i chose 7970lightning . Also i couldnt find any EVGA and XFX Card in the Market (PS: Linus Himself Suggested the Mpower )

As for storage, SSD price are high currently so i planned on buying 2TB seagate now and later upgrade to SSD after a year or two.

@Whaler_99 i have 24" Benq Full Hd monitor, so i will be using it for gaming on 1080 resolution

@Mathew The Build u provided is surely a good one, but i think it goes out of my budget and as for GPU the Vendor here said he can get 7970 Lightning for 590$ and 7970 Matrix for 636$. And primarily i choose amd GPU for their Overclocking abilities and Nvidia Cards are about 40-80$ more expensive here. CM Storm Trooper is out of my Budget (15000 INR)

@windspeed36 My Budget is 1400$, i stay in india, so here the products are bit more costlier than US. so i guess i should ask for a 1000$ PC, I already got a copy of Win 7.

and Guys Logan here

says fx8350 can compete on par with 3570k and amd 990Fx motherboard provides for future cpu upgrade and as for z77 it will support 3770k @ max. so what do u think??

So Confirmed Parts

RAM : Gskil or Corsair Vengence 1600 2*4GB (if possible 2*8GB)

HDD : Seagate 2 Tb 64mb 7200rpm

PSU : Seasonic 620 or 750 watts (will checkout corsair price )

Case: if Blue Layout Corsair 500R , if Red layout CM 912 (will check out Haf XM, )

3570K or AMD 8350

Asus P8Z77-M Pro, P8Z77-V, ASrock Pro 4, Extreme 4 or AMD Equivalent

212 Evo, D14, H80i

1600 C9 2 x 4GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Sandisk Extreme, Samsung 840 Pro, Intel 330

660 TI or AMD equivalent

600w PSU

Just an outline of an idea..