Using a router to connect to a WLAN. Better performance than a USB adapter?

I plan on using a wireless router in place of a USB wireless network adapter so my PC may connect to my home wireless network more better. I am living in an apartment right now, so there is a lot of interference to deal with. I am hoping that using a router as a network adapter might net me better overall performance than the USB adapter I am currently using. I dont see any reason why this plan shouldnt work, but I figured I might as well ask around before I start investing time and effort into a project that might not be worth it.

CURRENT ROUTER:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122275

CURRENT ADAPTER:

NETGEAR WG111 V3 WIFI 54MBPS B/G WIRELESS USB ADAPTER

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I expect a performance boost by replacing my cheap-o adapter with a cheap-o (20-30 USD) router?
  2. Will mismatching router brands be compatible (Both routers being Wireless N)?

I WOULD use an ethernet cable to make the best connection possible, but I am living an apartment, and my landlord will not allow me to route ethernet cables through my walls. <_<

Thank you so much in advance for the input!!

1.Probably

2.Yes, as long as they are both using the wireless N standard and don't have some weird flavor of an 802.11n draft

Make sure that router has a "client" mode or that it is compatible with dd-wrt before you purchase, otherwise your plan is a failure from the get go.