DVD Drive drivers won't install/ corrupt/ non-existent - Windows not recognising drive!!!

Gypopotamus
Go to solution Solved by ttam,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 - I've had luck with that on this problem a few times before. I would suggest doing the "Let me fix it myself" part if you are comfortable enough playing in your registry.

Ok, so my dad called me over today complaining that his DVD drive won't work. (LG GH22NP20 IDE DVDRW)

He said he had already done all of the windows device troubleshooting like reinstalling the drivers and searching windows help, but it still wouldn't work.

My instant thought was that the hardware was faulty, so I whipped my drive out of my PC (LG GH22NS70 SATA DVDRW) and plugged it in to see if it would work, but it didn't. The issue was that windows couldn't install the drivers. I restarted the pc and tried again, and it failed again. So I followed the windows troubleshooting, which also failed. I looked on the LG website for drivers and downloaded them, and they didn't even recognise the drive at all!

So after a lot of pissing around (deleting the drivers from system32 and trying to install them again, going into the BIOS to check if anything was wrong in there [resetting it to defaults and flashing it again], trying different SATA ports, solving every problem in the windows action centre etc.), I took to google to see if anyone else had suffered a similar fate. 

There were plenty of windows support posts about fixing it, but all of the methods suggested I had tried already. Another forum post said to update the SATA controller for the motherboard, but this particular one (Asus P5KPL-AM) doesn't have any SATA drivers on it's support page!

Basically I'm all out of ideas and patience, so any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. Yes, I turned it off and on again :P

P.P.S. Windows 7 64bit by the way.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 - I've had luck with that on this problem a few times before. I would suggest doing the "Let me fix it myself" part if you are comfortable enough playing in your registry.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!!!!

How did I miss that??? :L Oh well thank you so so much! I think you just rescued my sanity!

GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!!!!

How did I miss that??? :L Oh well thank you so so much! I think you just rescued my sanity!

Haha it happens man. I get paid to sit in a room doing this all day so I've come across these things a couple of (hundred) times :) Glad to see it worked for ya.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide