Balncing my new rig

Go to solution Solved by OAcesync,

Okay, so an i5 would be enough ...

The I might go 390x, bit surely not fury x (I have a budgte m8).

Also, I personally think I wont need so mich space on my SSD, but since you told me too, how much would you reccomend ?

And as for the HDD, thats more or less just a wildcard for any HDD :3

I mean the Fury (non X) but that's probably still not within budget, I would aim for 240GB something like this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-shfs37a240g

Good day ya all.

So, I am going to build myself a new rig.

I am pretty sure these are the parts I will use : https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/SomeKiddie/saved/#view=7XKQzy

But my question is: I see lots of builds (most of the time with higher end gpus) with i5s.

So, is it even viable to use an i5 in a gaming setup, and if so, is it at least somewhat future-proof ?

I would love to hear your opinions on this issue, since choosing an i5 would enable me to spend more of my budget on a gpu. Oh, and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time and take a look at the parts and suggest alternative cpus based on the rest of the parts (wich I would like to not change, except for the motherboard, wich maybe needs another socket (if you suggest AMD cpus or smth) or another chipset, since I may OC the other cpu).

Thanks in advance,

yours sincerly

SomeKiddie

Current PC broken, saving up atm.
Reason for saving up ->

I would use change the i7 to a xeon, they are the exact same thing just the the xeon doesnt have an iGPU

I use an i5 with a GTX 980, since the majority of games still rely on single thread performance currently there's not a real reason to go with an i7 unless you do a lot of video encoding or rendering which would make use of the extra CPU threads. The question of whether that is a future proof answer is more difficult for all we know every developer could start creating games reliant on multi threaded performance, personally for the short term (maybe 2-3 years) you would be more than fine with an i5. 

I'd also recommend a K variant CPU with a Z97 board so you can overclock. 

Good day ya all.

So, I am going to build myself a new rig.

I am pretty sure these are the parts I will use : https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/SomeKiddie/saved/#view=7XKQzy

But my question is: I see lots of builds (most of the time with higher end gpus) with i5s.

So, is it even viable to use an i5 in a gaming setup, and if so, is it at least somewhat future-proof ?

I would love to hear your opinions on this issue, since choosing an i5 would enable me to spend more of my budget on a gpu. Oh, and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time and take a look at the parts and suggest alternative cpus based on the rest of the parts (wich I would like to not change, except for the motherboard, wich maybe needs another socket (if you suggest AMD cpus or smth) or another chipset, since I may OC the other cpu).

Thanks in advance,

yours sincerly

SomeKiddie

I would get a i5 and upgrade the GPU to maybe a 980,390X or Fury. i5s are still very strong and won't bottleneck any single card as of now even older CPUs like Sandy bridge are still good for gaming. I would just get rid of the cooler since you don't need it, get a more SSD storage and why the 5400RPM HDD?

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I would get a i5 and upgrade the GPU to maybe a 980,390X or Fury. i5s are still very strong and won't bottleneck any single card as of now even older CPUs like Sandy bridge are still good for gaming. I would just get rid of the cooler since you don't need it, get a more SSD storage and why the 5400RPM HDD?

Also, I personally think I wont need so mich space on my SSD, but since you told me too, how much would you reccomend ?

Reason for saving up ->

I use an i5 with a GTX 980, since the majority of games still rely on single thread performance currently there's not a real reason to go with an i7 unless you do a lot of video encoding or rendering which would make use of the extra CPU threads. The question of whether that is a future proof answer is more difficult for all we know every developer could start creating games reliant on multi threaded performance, personally for the short term (maybe 2-3 years) you would be more than fine with an i5. 

I'd also recommend a K variant CPU with a Z97 board so you can overclock.

Okay, but I want to (at least) be able to play games for the next like 5 years, I dont mind even minimal settings, as longs as it runs.

So, juding by your knowledge, would a high-end i5 do the job ?

Reason for saving up ->

I mean the Fury (non X) but that's probably still not within budget, I would aim for 240GB something like this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-shfs37a240g

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Okay, but I want to (at least) be able to play games for the next like 5 years, I dont mind even minimal settings, as longs as it runs.

So, juding by your knowledge, would a high-end i5 do the job ?

Yes it should last you at least 3 years but we can't say past that because we don't know how much AAA games will progress and there's no way to make yourself 100% future proof

Setup

Yes it should last you at least 3 years but we can't say past that because we don't know how much AAA games will progress and there's no way to make yourself 100% future proof

Was going to reply on the same lines, honestly even if you went with the i7 5 years is a long time. Minimal settings in five years *should* be attainable but who knows honestly.