Unscrewed hard drive cover and broke hard drive

imnotlinus
Go to solution Solved by imnotlinus,

Ok

Does unscrewing and slightly opening a hard drive cover break it? And if so how do i fix this problem?

No it doesn't, but it's not recommended.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Well i painted the hard drive cover might that have broken my hard drive?

I only painted the top part

It's not recommended to open them first for debris and dust and to reinstall you need to torque the screws back down to proper factory specifications.

Every time i turn on the hard drive it makes some mechanical noises then makes a beep and when it trues to boot up it says no bootable drive selected

It does actually break the hard drive. Even tightening or loosening the screws a little can warp the chassis of a hdd so much that the readwrite head no longer has a clue what it's looking at. The proper way to do it is to look up the required torque in the manufacturer's specs, set a torque screwdriver to exactly that torque and only tighten them as much as that screwdriver will let you. If you don't have a torque screwdriver you'll have to buy one because it's too difficult to judge by hand.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Do i just tighten the screws as hard as possible?

No do not do that it requires a torque wrench and the proper amount of torque specified by the manufacturer. This is what I'm talking about:

I already did it... And im not getting that clicking noise when it starts up...

And where do i find the torque settings?

That's going to be the hard part, try searching online for that specific drive it should be out there somewhere, most manufacturers don't say this stuff since a drive isn't suppose to be opened. Once you find it get a torque wrench and tighten it down to the correct amount.

If i already tightened them as hard as possible does that make permanent damage or no?

If i already tightened them as hard as possible does that make permanent damage or no?

Hard to say but to be safe don't use it anymore until you get it properly torqued down.

No other way around it. your drive is dead and it seems unlikely to be able to get it repaired.

There's a reason manufacturers advise against opening drives in the first place

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Another FINE example of the OP marking their answer as the best answer. NO SHAME!

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Didnt work...

Yeah not much that can be done at this point. If you want to color your drive I suggest hard drive covers or directly painting the cover without taking anything off but if you do that be sure to cove any vent ports.

Well this was one of the most stupidest OP's i've ever seen before.

I did i only loosened the bolts so i can maske the drive a bit better than i screwed then back on and then i painted the cover.. And btw didt touch anything inside the drive