building router

omaroma11

hey guys recently I was in the market for a new router and then I said I also want a nas and I also wanted to cache stuff the the routers hdd how can I do all this in one machine do I have to build a router and put hdd but what software would I use should I buy a router add some hdds but how do enable ssh on that 

I would imagine you'd have to have Windows and use Virtual Machines for each one. One for the router (pFSense), one for the NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1), and the the Windows thing just to have the VM's running. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

can I enable ssh on a router that has an external hdd 

i saw that video but can the pfsense software also works as a nas 

i saw that video but can the pfsense software also works as a nas 

i am not sure, if anything there should be plenty of other software that could do the job.  I havent used it personally yet, waiting to get my parents a new computer first then using the old one. 

since the need for a nas isnt so big I think I might just build a router and when i need a nas build that 

since the need for a nas isnt so big I think I might just build a router and when i need a nas build that 

i know PFScense has caching in it and some of the best antivirus for a router.  Thinking about it there might be a plug in for it to be used as a nas as well.  

I would imagine you'd have to have Windows and use Virtual Machines for each one. One for the router (pFSense), one for the NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1), and the the Windows thing just to have the VM's running. 

pfSense is hard to configure to work properly under a VM.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

You could probably do that for free using Proxmox + pfsense + Nas4Free/FreeNas.

It's probably going to be a major pain in the butt to setup though but I'm pretty confident this should work as I've seen pfsense working on a Proxmox machine.

would be easier and more stable to have a router and a nas separated.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB