Radiator support in 750d

1) in the 750d, can you put 280mm 30mm radiator with 2x 140 fans in the front and 240mm 30mm radiator and 2x 120 mm at the same time???

2) the radiator in the bottom can't be an exhaust (although that would be nice) because hot air travels up and if its an intake than it will take dust in because there is no dust filter so it cant be that either, therefore what can it be???

3) if there is a radiator in the front and in the bottom (senerio #1 ^^^^) can i put any 3.5 inch hardrives???

1) in the 750d, can you put 280mm 30mm radiator with 2x 140 fans in the front and 240mm 30mm radiator and 2x 120 mm at the same time???

2) the radiator in the bottom can't be an exhaust (although that would be nice) because hot air travels up and if its an intake than it will take dust in because there is no dust filter so it cant be that either, therefore what can it be???

3) if there is a radiator in the front and in the bottom (senerio #1 ^^^^) can i put any 3.5 inch hardrives???

1. No. To have a radiator in the front and bottom, the front must be a 240mm (dual 120mm) radiator at most, and you have to mount it using the other holes on the front instead of using the ones labeled for the radiator. So with what you're planning, the 280mm would need to go in the roof. See my article from my own personal build for details (scroll down to section "Test Fit #3"). You'd just leave the 140mm fans in the front as well and they'll supply air across the radiator.

2. The radiator on the bottom should be an intake. In my build I have it in a pull configuration so the radiator is laying on the bottom of the case and providing the least amount of interference with the power supply. To keep dust from coming in, buy dust filters -- specifically the Silverstone FF-123 can be used, which are thin filters. You'd put that between the radiator and case, or between the fan and the case if you mount the radiator in push.

3. You can, but you won't be able to use what the case provides. You can instead buy mounting hardware to mount it into the 5.25" drive bay (shouldn't cost any more than $10), but only if you're not planning to use an optical drive as the optical drive plus the HDD in the 5.25" bays won't provide enough room for a radiator and fans on the top. This will have the added benefit of not impacting airflow in the main part of the case. Alternatively you can get a little creative on where you put it, such as using one of the drive trays and attaching it to the top of your PSU. Alternatively you can buy a 2.5" HDD (laptop hard drive) and get a little more creative in how you mount it since they're smaller and lighter than their 3.5" desktop counterparts. I don't know about using one of the SSD mount points for one of those, though, as laptop HDDs still need some airflow, but it might still be fine in that setup.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

@brandishwar

i will not have a raidator in the front and bottom as in your case (however if i could do that than that would be very cool) because i need a place to mount 3.5 inch drives and the 5.25 drive cages are not a solution becase in one i will have a blu-ray drive and in the other two i will have a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLCB8M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004CLCB8M&linkCode=as2&tag=veryyout-20&linkId=7KII3EZDL2MC4LJ7and http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-MCP655TM-Laing-Vario-controller/dp/B001G6S1JY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430699297&sr=1-1&keywords=Swiftech+MCP655 intergrated together. 

i am going with:

• 360mm (45mm +fans(push)(it should work right? (my MOBO is ASUS X99 Deluxe)) radiator in the top as exhaust. 
  • 140mm (30mm + included fan) radiator in the back also as exhaust. or i will just keep a fan there becuase i dont know if the fittings of the top radiator will fit 
  • either a 240mm radiator in the bottom (thickness unknow) with fans (in pull) and two Silverstone FF-123 as filters between the radiator and case with the two drive cages mounted from the 5.25 drive bays. Or I will have a 280mm radiator in the front (thickness unknown (max possible is wanted)) with fans as push with one drive cage mounted closest to the PSU.

for the last bullet point, which solution would look best in your opinion through the window???

@brandishwar 

in your latest instalment of Asbinthe part 20 i realized that u have copper tubing or is that PETG just in a copper color??

also you have such an overkill powersuply, why? or is there other components that are not staged in the pictures?

also you have a crazy water cooling loop with 7x 120mm rad space, why? or is there a backstory to this overkil cooling solution which is not cheap??

@brandishwar

i will not have a raidator in the front and bottom as in your case (however if i could do that than that would be very cool) because i need a place to mount 3.5 inch drives and the 5.25 drive cages are not a solution becase in one i will have a blu-ray drive and in the other two i will have a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLCB8M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004CLCB8M&linkCode=as2&tag=veryyout-20&linkId=7KII3EZDL2MC4LJ7and a http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-MCP655TM-Laing-Vario-controller/dp/B001G6S1JY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430699297&sr=1-1&keywords=Swiftech+MCP655 intergrated together. 

i am going with:

• 360mm (45mm +fans(push)(it should work right? (my MOBO is ASUS X99 Deluxe)) radiator in the top as exhaust. 
  • 140mm (30mm + included fan) radiator in the back also as exhaust. or i will just keep a fan there becuase i dont know if the fittings of the top radiator will fit 
  • either a 240mm radiator in the bottom (thickness unknow) with fans (in pull) and two Silverstone FF-123 as filters between the radiator and case with the two drive cages mounted from the 5.25 drive bays. Or I will have a 280mm radiator in the front (thickness unknown (max possible is wanted)) with fans as push with one drive cage mounted closest to the PSU.

for the last bullet point, which solution would look best in your opinion through the window???

That's really dependent on you. If you have the radiator in the bottom, you can "hide" it with the fans on top of it in a pull setup. If you have the radiator mounted in the front, then it'll be exposed, but you'd have to be looking at an angle through the window to see it -- it won't be immediately visible looking directly into the window. Most radiators are black as well, which should blend into the finish in the case anyway, helping to camouflage it -- even more so if you go with the bottom 240 and have fans on top of it.

@brandishwar 

in your latest instalment of Asbinthe part 20 i realized that u have copper tubing or is that PETG just in a copper color??

also you have such an overkill powersuply, why? or is there other components that are not staged in the pictures?

also you have a crazy water cooling loop with 7x 120mm rad space, why? or is there a backstory to this overkil cooling solution which is not cheap??

It's type-L annealed copper tubing, 1/2" OD.

The system draws around 500W of power under maximum load, which is never achieved, meaning the fan is virtually never on and is operating at its lowest RPM when it is. Corsair Link actually puts the current draw at under 400W -- meaning the power supply is virtually silent, and is the main reason to go overkill on a PSU that has a zero-RPM fan mode. The components drawing power are the mainboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, sound card, pump, and lighting -- plus a couple USB components as well. Storage is entirely external.

More radiators means you can use slower fans, allowing for a more quiet system. In Absinthe and Beta Orionis, the fans are Bitfenix Spectre Pro, which operate at 1200RPM. The radiators are all AlphaCool (meaning low FPI). The systems idle a few degrees C above ambient and under load top out in the 50s.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

@brandishwar

1)in the older instalments of Absinthe, the fitting of ur top radiator were in the front of the case (in the 5.25 inch bay), in the latest instalment the fitting are in the back of the case, why did you switch it's orrientation?

2)is there space for fittings of the top radiator (if mounted with fittings in the back of the case) and another radiator in the back (with fittings towards the top) (30mm, 140mm, ehaust with fan in push)?

3)or same senario as in 3 but the radiator in the back mounted so that the fittings are facing down.

4) what radiaotrs do u use in the the top, front and bottom? 

thank you for your time!!

@brandishwar

your build and your wife's build have silent series power supplies however in ur build it has an EVGA supernova and ur wife's build has a RM series from corsiar. which PSU are u more happy with???

@brandishwar

1)in the older instalments of Absinthe, the fitting of ur top radiator were in the front of the case (in the 5.25 inch bay), in the latest instalment the fitting are in the back of the case, why did you switch it's orrientation?

2)is there space for fittings of the top radiator (if mounted with fittings in the back of the case) and another radiator in the back (with fittings towards the top) (30mm, 140mm, ehaust with fan in push)?

3)or same senario as in 3 but the radiator in the back mounted so that the fittings are facing down.

4) what radiaotrs do u use in the the top, front and bottom? 

thank you for your time!!

1. Originally the fittings were toward the front because of the tubing. The original water cooling loop used 1/2"x3/4" vinyl tubing from Home Depot and the requisite fittings. When the CPU block sprung a leak, I was forced to rebuild the loop. In doing so, I decided to opt for hard tubing, specifically copper. This allowed me to turn the radiator around and, for the most part, allowed me to create somewhat shorter runs on the tubing between the top radiator and the CPU, along with allowing me to take the graphics cards to the top radiator.

Could I have kept it the other way and kept the fittings in the front? That's how β Ori. is oriented.

2 and 3. No. A radiator with fan on the rear of the case will interfere with the top radiator if you have it so the fittings are oriented toward the rear of the case. If you want a radiator on the rear 140mm fan position while having a radiator on the top, the radiator on the top will need to have its fittings toward the front of the case. I could not have the rear 140mm fan mounted at all on Absinthe or I could not get the collars on the hard fittings screwed down. It interferes too much, so a rear 120mm/140mm radiator would require the fittings on the top radiator to be toward the front of the case.

And I'd suggest a rear 120mm radiator as well mounted fittings down. A rear 140mm radiator will interfere with your top radiator if you have fittings up, and may interfere with your graphics card if you have fittings down.

4. In Absinthe, the top and front radiators are AlphaCool XT45s, triple-120mm in the top, dual-120mm in the front. The bottom is an AlphaCool ST30 dual-120mm. In β Ori., all radiators are ST30s, triple-120mm in the top, dual-120mm in the front and bottom. The end tanks on the ST30s do mean that if you have fans on the same side as the fittings, you'll need to use 30mm extension fittings. For example, in both the bottom and top radiators in β Ori., I had to use extension fittings to meet the hardline fittings as the collars on the hardline fittings would not fit with the fans. But extension fittings cleared that up.

@brandishwar

your build and your wife's build have silent series power supplies however in ur build it has an EVGA supernova and ur wife's build has a RM series from corsiar. which PSU are u more happy with???

The EVGA is only a recent addition to β Ori. Previously I had a Corsair AX860 power supply, and after two failed on me -- not just the original, but the replacement unit -- within 6 months, I decided to go with a different brand. I first looked at the Fractal Design Newton R3 power supply, but when I saw the price on the EVGA 1050 GS (check current prices here), I decided to go with it instead. So for me the jury is still out on it -- it's been running only about 6 weeks and the first AX860 failed in about 2 to 2 1/2 months -- but given the reputation EVGA has, I'm optimistic my experience with it will be much better.

The RM1000 has been running rock solid with no issues or concerns, so it's a good choice.

But since you are considering mounting a 240mm radiator on the bottom of your case, you'll want a shorter PSU (not something you hear readily discussed when PSU recommendations are solicited). The EVGA 1050 GS is 170mm long, while the RM1000 is 180mm -- and that extra 10mm makes a lot of difference. The RM1000 is a tight fit with the cabling when the 240mm radiator is on the bottom, so if you go with it, then your 240mm radiator should, ideally, go in the front. It's one of the reasons I leaned toward the Newton in replacing my PSU and originally went with the AX860 -- the AX860 is 160mm long while the Newton R3 is 165mm long.

@brandishwar

Before I begin, I have thank you for all your help. I don't know how o would have found out all the water cooling capabilities of the 750d. You are very helpful and have made my future water cooling loop possible. Even with all this information on the Internet, I was never able to find what I actually needed about water cooling in the 750d. I might have ending this whole plan and kept enjoying shitty gaming on a laptop.

1) my initial PSU of choice is the EVGA 850G2 however when reading ur last reply, I decided to check how long it is. It's length is 180mm therefore I will be using its bigger brother the EVGA 1050GS OR 1050G2.

2) on YouTube, when watching the HardwareCanucks review of the 750d, he shows that there is over 130mm from the bottom of the case till the bottom of the second drive cage when both are mounted from the 5.25 drive bays. Does that mean I can mount a 80mm 240mm radiator with fans in pull from the bottom of the case? Would u recommend that?

Future thanks!!!

@brandishwar

Before I begin, I have thank you for all your help. I don't know how o would have found out all the water cooling capabilities of the 750d. You are very helpful and have made my future water cooling loop possible. Even with all this information on the Internet, I was never able to find what I actually needed about water cooling in the 750d. I might have ending this whole plan and kept enjoying shitty gaming on a laptop.

1) my initial PSU of choice is the EVGA 850G2 however when reading ur last reply, I decided to check how long it is. It's length is 180mm therefore I will be using its bigger brother the EVGA 1050GS OR 1050G2.

2) on YouTube, when watching the HardwareCanucks review of the 750d, he shows that there is over 130mm from the bottom of the case till the bottom of the second drive cage when both are mounted from the 5.25 drive bays. Does that mean I can mount a 80mm 240mm radiator with fans in pull from the bottom of the case? Would u recommend that?

Future thanks!!!

1. There's also the 850GS if you want to save a little money (check prices here), but if you're trying to get higher on the efficiency curve for more silent performance, go with the 1050.

2. Personally I find the 80mm radiators to be an eyesore and wouldn't use anything more than a 45mm. But that's up to you and this is your build. Mounting the radiator with fans on the bottom would give a total distance of about 105 to 110mm depending on what filters you use.

And depending on the fans, using an 80mm radiator would be more of a waste of money since the gain in performance would be negligible over the 45mm or even 30mm counterparts. Air can only absorb so much heat out of the radiators, and a thicker radiator will require more airflow to see the performance benefit that can come with them -- meaning fans with higher CFM, which typically means higher RPM, meaning louder fans. If you're planning to stick with quieter fans, stick with thinner radiators -- you'll save money without significantly impacting cooling performance.

Martin's Liquid Lab showed the ST30, XT45, and UT60 all performing about equal with each other with lower RPM fans. With higher RPM fans is when the temperatures started to deviate with, predictably, the UT60 outperforming the XT45, which outperformed the ST30 -- more surface area for the greater volume of air. And the Monsta radiators and other 80mm radiators are likely going to need some very high RPM fans to see any significant difference over the UT60, and with lower RPM fans (like the 1200RM Spectre Pros I use), there's probably next to no difference between the Monsta and the ST30, just as there was next to no difference between the UT60 and ST30 -- which is why I went with the latter.

So if you don't mind going with something like SP120s running at full speed for the 80mm radiator, then go for it. If you're going for silence, save your money and go with a thinner radiator.

That depends. If you don't mind the looks and are willing to spend a little more, then Noctua fans are a better option. Bitfenix fans are great as airflow fans, and reasonably quiet -- I did a noise test on 8 of these fans without radiators -- but not really so much in front of a radiator, and that's what will matter more. If you're wondering why there is the difference, it's the turbulence that a radiator can create, and turbulence leads to noise. Undervolting the fans reduces the noise, but also at a loss of performance. Going push-pull can yield better results at lower RPMs, but at the need for more space -- with the ST30s in β Ori. I can probably pull that off on the top and front radiators, but not on the bottom radiator.

As such, I've considered switching my fans over to something else that will provide a better airflow to noise balance when on a radiator, and push-pull is a consideration as well since adding a few more Spectre Pro fans and undervolting everything is a lot less expensive than switching out all 7 radiator fans. Again Noctua fans are typically recommended for radiators, but they're not the only options out there. EK's new Vardar lineup is supposed to be pretty good on that mark as well.

There are a wide variety of fans out there, and trying to find the best fans for radiators is going to come down to what you're willing to pay. If you don't mind shelling out $30 for each fan and don't mind the color scheme on them, Noctua will serve you well. If you want to save money and still get some decent performing fans and don't mind the noise all that much (or you plan to use a fan controller), Bitfenix is a good choice as well. A good in-between on price that can yield better performance than Noctua fans but with more noise is the Corsair SP120.