Bottleneck?!

Processor: AMD FX-4170

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Graphic Card: asus Geforce GTX 680 2gb direct cu 2 top

1HDD: OCZ SSD Vertex 4 series 128gb

2HDD: 1tb westerndigital 5400rpm I think not really sure

PowerSupply: SilverPower sp-s750w

Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ 2x4gb

just got asus 680 video card and I do not think I get the best performance out of this card

3DMARK SCORE tested at 1280x720 cuz of basic edition

P6924

GRAPHICS SCORE

PHYSICS SCORE

COMBINED SCORE

3DMARK SCORE

6924 3DMARKS

GRAPHICS SCORE

PHYSICS SCORE

COMBINED SCORE

GRAPHICS TEST 1

51.8153190612793 FPS

GRAPHICS TEST 2

52.881690979003906 FPS

GRAPHICS TEST 3

68.03158569335938 FPS

GRAPHICS TEST 4

33.345245361328125 FPS

PHYSICS TEST

10.2386665 FPS

COMBINED TEST

15.3398561 FPS

3DMARK 11 (Performance)

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Vendor

Unknown

# of cards

SLI / CrossFire

Off

Memory

2,048 MB

Core clock

705 MHz

Memory clock

3,004 MHz

Driver name

Driver version

Driver status

FM Approved

PROCESSOR

Processor

AMD FX-4170

Processor clock

0 MHz

Physical / logical processors

1 / 4

# of cores

Package

AM3+

Manufacturing process

28 nm

TDP

125 W

GENERAL

Operating system

64-bit Windows 8 (6.2.9200)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-990FXA-UD3

Memory

0 MB

Hard drive model

128 GB OCZ-VERTEX4 ATA Device

Cpu: intel i7 4790k    Motherboard: MSI GAMING 5   GPU:Nvidia GTX 980Ti   PSU: Corsair AX 760 PSU  RAM:Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 24GB RG  SSD: OZC Vertex 4 128GB  HDD: 2x1tb WD  Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Snow edition! 

The RAM & PSU are fine, but the CPU massively bottlenecks the video card. There isn't much you can do if you want to be able to benefit from the full potential of your new GPU besides considering the FX-8350 (same socket don't worry).

The RAM & PSU are fine, but the CPU massively bottlenecks the video card. There isn't much you can do if you want to be able to benefit from the full potential of your new GPU besides considering the FX-8350 (same socket don't worry).
i know about the same socket :) i might just to that when i was building my pc i didnt have a clue what to get so my friends said take the one with most GHz thank u :) dindt kost that mutch either xD like 274.17 US Dollar

Cpu: intel i7 4790k    Motherboard: MSI GAMING 5   GPU:Nvidia GTX 980Ti   PSU: Corsair AX 760 PSU  RAM:Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 24GB RG  SSD: OZC Vertex 4 128GB  HDD: 2x1tb WD  Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Snow edition! 

The CPU doesn't massively bottleneck the card, though it does a little. The problem you are having is at lower resolutions (as opposed to higher resolutions the CPU has to work harder, and thus you will run into a CPU bottleneck faster than you would if you were gaming at say 1920x1080.

The RAM & PSU are fine' date=' but the CPU massively bottlenecks the video card. There isn't much you can do if you want to be able to benefit from the full potential of your new GPU besides considering the FX-8350 (same socket don't worry). [/quote']

i Completely agree thats what jumped out at me the CPU is the Bottleneck.

The CPU doesn't massively bottleneck the card' date=' though it does a little. The problem you are having is at lower resolutions (as opposed to higher resolutions the CPU has to work harder, and thus you will run into a CPU bottleneck faster than you would if you were gaming at say 1920x1080. [/quote']

thank u for replaying but i dont understand it that well im playing all my games at 1920x1080 just that the 3DMARK is in basic mode cuz i dont have the money to buy it since im not gonna need it in the future

The CPU doesn't massively bottleneck the card, though it does a little. The problem you are having is at lower resolutions (as opposed to higher resolutions the CPU has to work harder, and thus you will run into a CPU bottleneck faster than you would if you were gaming at say 1920x1080.
I never understood that. Why does the CPU work harder at lower resolutions ? In comparison (so relatively) to the GPU it does, but the workload itself is the same, is it not ?

The CPU doesn't massively bottleneck the card' date=' though it does a little. The problem you are having is at lower resolutions (as opposed to higher resolutions the CPU has to work harder, and thus you will run into a CPU bottleneck faster than you would if you were gaming at say 1920x1080. [/quote'] thank u for replaying but i dont understand it that well im playing all my games at 1920x1080 just that the 3DMARK is in basic mode cuz i dont have the money to buy it since im not gonna need it in the future

you need to benchmark a system at higher rez like 1920x1080 to show what the gpu is really made of. the lower you go and the cpu does most of the work.

The CPU doesn't massively bottleneck the card' date=' though it does a little. The problem you are having is at lower resolutions (as opposed to higher resolutions the CPU has to work harder, and thus you will run into a CPU bottleneck faster than you would if you were gaming at say 1920x1080. [/quote'] thank u for replaying but i dont understand it that well im playing all my games at 1920x1080 just that the 3DMARK is in basic mode cuz i dont have the money to buy it since im not gonna need it in the future
you need to benchmark a system at higher rez like 1920x1080 to show what the gpu is really made of. the lower you go and the cpu does most of the work.

okay what can i use to test my benchmark for free at thet rez?

if you download fraps you can use your own games to benchmark your computers performance. it will tell you minimum maximum and avarage frames per second while its running

if you download fraps you can use your own games to benchmark your computers performance. it will tell you minimum maximum and avarage frames per second while its running

add me on skype? Stianmm3

and i can take the test when both of us have the time :)

Generally speaking, adjusting the resolution has little effect on the processes the CPU needs to do as you said, however with higher resolutions the graphics card does, with more to render. As a consequence the graphics card bottlenecks the system as a whole with higher resolutions. Thus as you drop the resolutions the graphics bottlenecked is lifted, so you eventually run closer to a CPU bottleneck as it's performing the same thing, but there's less load on the GPU.

It's hard to explain, but the principle is pretty simple. Hope that makes sense. :P

I ran the same benchmark and I have a 680 at a 1228 mhz core overclock and a 2500k at 4.6 ghz overclock, my graphics score was 10659 but my physics score was 7421 and combined score 7329 so it seems like that cpu is probably bottlenecking.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Test with Heaven benchmark and compare to other systems with a 680.

• 2 weeks later...

dont know if you see the error but there is a fatal error when i try to run this program -.-

post-5560-13667861637443_thumb.png

post-5560-13667861637443_thumb.png

get a 8350 and oc a litlle and there will be no bottleneck

Major CPU bottleneck, u should at least get an 8320

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|