Replacing plastic window with glass.

Ghost

To start off a link to my build log: Clicky

I plan to replace the window on my NZXT Switch 810 from plastic to glass.

Has anyone tried replacing the side panel window with glass before? Any tips?

First I want to get a quote on cutting it. Hoping its under £40 for a 40*40cm windows that's trimmed to fit.

I also plane to re-enforce the side panel so it won't flex as much with glass in it so it will not randomly smash.

Also I am unsure on smoked glass as will have to option for this now.

This is looking far into the future, I won't actually do it for a few months. Hoping to get a quote from a "glasser". (Don't know the appropriate name.)

What do you guys think?

If I do go ahead with this I will make a video showing each step of the way.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I think it's a good idea, gave me an idea to replace my acrylic for glass in my Phantom... Mine's not a square though.

I think it's a good idea' date=' gave me an idea to replace my acrylic for glass in my Phantom... Mine's not a square though.[/quote']

Mines not either. I need to get it to a glass cutter. Actual cheap sheets of glass are cheap. Cutting might be a bit expensive though.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I would say to get a good quality plexiglass panel, that way its more durable and easier to cut and form to what you want. You could also sand blast the plexi and mask off the parts that you want to be clear, then sand blast it and get a custom frosted side panel ( you can also do this with glass)!

I would say to get a good quality plexiglass panel' date=' that way its more durable and easier to cut and form to what you want. You could also sand blast the plexi and mask off the parts that you want to be clear, then sand blast it and get a custom frosted side panel ( you can also do this with glass)![/quote']

The reason why glass is better is because a harder material. This means it doesn't scratch. Also glass feels much better when you touch it. Finally glass doesn't attract dust and is easier to clean at any rate.

I would say to get a good quality plexiglass panel' date=' that way its more durable and easier to cut and form to what you want. You could also sand blast the plexi and mask off the parts that you want to be clear, then sand blast it and get a custom frosted side panel ( you can also do this with glass)![/quote'] The reason why glass is better is because a harder material. This means it doesn't scratch. Also glass feels much better when you touch it. Finally glass doesn't attract dust and is easier to clean at any rate.

Oh, i agree completely that glass is better, i was just providing another alternative :) Though, it is harder to work with...

Someone that I know had a glass table that randomly smashed cause it was in the sun. Make sure you allow for the window to expand slightly.

Someone that I know had a glass table that randomly smashed cause it was in the sun. Make sure you allow for the window to expand slightly.
I will leave that to the glass cutters. They know the science. I will probably bring my whole side-panel.

Also buying glass designed to have a 20C difference on either side will be the best option. I have never researched different types of glass but I assume things like tempered glass would be better for this application.

I will probably also go for smoked glass, I don't know if I mentioned that before. What would also be amazing is semi-mirroring glass. So when the LEDs int he PC go on you can see inside, when they go off its a mirror.

Like that "one way" glass?

And how are you going to attach it to the side panel?
My side panel acrylic is attached with tabs you bend.

I've been considering this myself, since Linus mentioned it in his personal build video. The idea of using glass never ocurred to me despite having cut many PlexiGLASS sheets out for panels. I've always had issues with dust buildup, and the amount of static that the pieces of acrylic seem to build up is just ridiculous. Makes me a little nervous having it right next to my parts that I'm working on.

Anyway, I'm going to try and find a sheet of 8mm thick glass with slight grey tint for my machine. It should finish the build off now that I'm getting my panels back from my painter whenever he feels like he wants to come by to drop them off... so, bright white leds inside in abundance, and a tinted sheet should mean it's not too OTT with brightness outside the case, but has a really unique cool look. and hopefully with the size of the window I'm putting in (40-38 cm or so) the whole system should be bright and visible too...

In terms of attachment, I'm going to either drill holes in the corners and bolt it in (with teflon or plastic washers or something that lets it move a tiny bit in it's mounts), I might also go for the classic foam backed mounting tape method. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment because I'd rather spend the least time possible preparing the sheet of glass and potentially scratching it. also, drilling holes with a diamond bit is never a fun task... I shall update (and with any luck, pics too) when I get my window and have it put in place

I've been considering this myself, since Linus mentioned it in his personal build video. The idea of using glass never ocurred to me despite having cut many PlexiGLASS sheets out for panels. I've always had issues with dust buildup, and the amount of static that the pieces of acrylic seem to build up is just ridiculous. Makes me a little nervous having it right next to my parts that I'm working on.

Anyway, I'm going to try and find a sheet of 8mm thick glass with slight grey tint for my machine. It should finish the build off now that I'm getting my panels back from my painter whenever he feels like he wants to come by to drop them off... so, bright white leds inside in abundance, and a tinted sheet should mean it's not too OTT with brightness outside the case, but has a really unique cool look. and hopefully with the size of the window I'm putting in (40-38 cm or so) the whole system should be bright and visible too...

In terms of attachment, I'm going to either drill holes in the corners and bolt it in (with teflon or plastic washers or something that lets it move a tiny bit in it's mounts), I might also go for the classic foam backed mounting tape method. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment because I'd rather spend the least time possible preparing the sheet of glass and potentially scratching it. also, drilling holes with a diamond bit is never a fun task... I shall update (and with any luck, pics too) when I get my window and have it put in place

good luck!

I saw this a few days ago... This is a great mod idea, My acrylic has those little micro scratches and I hate all of them, I may join you one day.

I thought you might be interested in this. You might want to find a higher quality one, closer to you :P

US- http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-106370-Glass-Cutter/dp/B00004YNNP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360405829&sr=8-2&keywords=glass+cutter

UK- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-101224-Diamond-Glass-Cutter/dp/B001C7OVH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360406032&sr=8-1

I saw a minute of this and decided she knows what shes saying :P

I saw this a few days ago... This is a great mod idea' date=' My acrylic has those little micro scratches and I hate all of them, I may join you one day. I thought you might be interested in this. You might want to find a higher quality one, closer to you :P US- http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-106370-Glass-Cutter/dp/B00004YNNP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360405829&sr=8-2&keywords=glass+cutter UK- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-101224-Diamond-Glass-Cutter/dp/B001C7OVH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360406032&sr=8-1 I saw a minute of this and decided she knows what shes saying :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4k7AgA3e3Y

Glass cutting on your own would never work. This can only do straight cuts. I imagine they use a very high rpm saw or they melt it. Or they just have a very steady hand.

Also I'd imagine tempered glass is much harder to do.

I saw this a few days ago... This is a great mod idea' date=' My acrylic has those little micro scratches and I hate all of them, I may join you one day. I thought you might be interested in this. You might want to find a higher quality one, closer to you :P US- http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-106370-Glass-Cutter/dp/B00004YNNP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360405829&sr=8-2&keywords=glass+cutter UK- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-101224-Diamond-Glass-Cutter/dp/B001C7OVH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360406032&sr=8-1 I saw a minute of this and decided she knows what shes saying :P

That's precisely the tool I was thinking of, they're super easy to use too. basically it scores the surface of the glass, and you apply some flexing force to make it snap along the line all clean-like.

ghost, I can assure you that cutting glass on your own is quite possible, can use a dremel and a diamond cutter wheel (obviously only for smaller fiddly stuff, or use one of those tools to cut it into size first, then fine tune. You can cut at a curve too, it just has to be fairly mild. I imagine it'd even be possible to do a multi-sided shape if you cut off pieces at a time

One tip though, lubrication and cooling of some sort is required for cutting with a rotary tool. usually, water is used for this, since it floats away glass particles and keeps the heat down in the middle of the cut (which is generally the cause of cracks if you're cutting too fast/roughly)

Has anyone else installed glass in the case window already?

Has anyone else installed glass in the case window already?
I haven't had time to go to the glass cutter yet. :/